Woah, does anyone know what this tube is to/for?

Started by Rich, April 23, 2016, 05:53:22 AM

Rich

My first time doing the oil change on the miata today and found this tube when taking off the oil filter and cleaning the area around it.  Any ideas?  It ends around the passenger side of the engine and is routed across the firewall into the drivers side.

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

The only thing i can think of us somewhere in here... this is about where the tube was when i was taking off the oil filter

Rich

Miata.net has figured it's the oil pressure gauge line.  I have no idea how to fix this

Raza

Well, I'm about the last person to have an idea on this. 

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer, spraying it with WD40, and then duct taping it into place?  Those are my go to moves. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Rich

No lights as of the start of the oil change.  It's the tube/line for the aftermarket oil pressure gauge.  TBH I hadn't paid attention to the gauge for the last few days.

FoMoJo

Is there oil squirting out of a hole somewhere when you start it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rich

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 23, 2016, 10:36:03 AM
Is there oil squirting out of a hole somewhere when you start it?

Since I've done the oil change, I haven't started it.  I'd like to keep my oil in it!  haha.  I think there had been oil seeping from it before today though, as the transmission has oil on the bottom and seems like everything around the subframe is caked in it

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Rich

2000 130,000 miles.

I'm getting it towed to a shop on Monday

FoMoJo

I can't imagine why there would be a plastic tube with oil in it dangling in the engine bay unless someone tried to replace the oil pressure sending unit and gauge with some sort of direct feed setup.  Does the sending unit look intact?

CaminoRacer

Electric sending unit gauges are the only way to properly do it. Don't want no hot oil in the car
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 23, 2016, 11:23:10 AM
Electric sending unit gauges are the only way to properly do it. Don't want no hot oil in the car

And so I learn :lol:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rich

i guess it's an oil pressure line that uses the brass fitting tapped into the engine block.  I think if I turn the engine on that oil will flow out the fitting?  I'm not sure.  It'll be towed to a shop on Monday.

A vehicle maintenance guy that oversees the contract on base is coming by tomorrow morning to take a look at it.  the fix should be as easy as taking out the brass fitting and finding a bolt that will plug it up. 

Unless there's a similar fitting/line out here in Spain... VMX guy said that should only be a 10 Euro part.

Rupert

I asked because that's a dumb way to get oil pressure, but it sounds like you're on it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Can't use duct tape or the like - oil pressure is typically 10 - 50 psi and that is actually a lot - that will make a huge mess in no time and drain your oil fairly quickly. It needs to be fixed proper which means either a new line or a plug. I'd just head to the hardware store and buy random brass pipe thread plugs in sizes that look to be about the same and then test 'em out.

FlatBlackCaddy

Have you tried sucking on it and seeing what comes out?

MrH

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 23, 2016, 07:15:22 PM
Have you tried sucking on it and seeing what comes out?

:rolleyes: that's your solution to everything.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Rich

The coworker stopped by and took the fitting out and threw a bolt in it.  All's good in the hood.

Time to figure out what to do with the middle of the 3 gauges that was oil pressure.  See if autometer sells an electronic sender rather than an oil line into the dashboard?  If not, then replace the gauge with another type of reading?

:hmm:

I also need to figure out what to get him as a thank you.  He doesn't drink anything but water so beer is out.  Spain doesn't really do gift cards.  Money seems impersonal/snobbish

CaminoRacer

Take him out for tapas?

Autometer has electric senders but you'll probably need a gauge made for it.

GoCougs

But that is very likely a pipe thread, not a regular bolt thread. Pipe threads are tapered such that the fitting also acts as a wedge. The distinction is important because of the high pressure - a regular bolt in a pipe thread may not provide enough wedge contact which could lead to leaking. Probably okay in the short term but you'll want to watch it and then get it fixed with the right fitting soon.

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on April 24, 2016, 09:52:31 AM
But that is very likely a pipe thread, not a regular bolt thread. Pipe threads are tapered such that the fitting also acts as a wedge. The distinction is important because of the high pressure - a regular bolt in a pipe thread may not provide enough wedge contact which could lead to leaking. Probably okay in the short term but you'll want to watch it and then get it fixed with the right fitting soon.

Raza

Quote from: Rich on April 24, 2016, 09:15:30 AM
The coworker stopped by and took the fitting out and threw a bolt in it.  All's good in the hood.

Time to figure out what to do with the middle of the 3 gauges that was oil pressure.  See if autometer sells an electronic sender rather than an oil line into the dashboard?  If not, then replace the gauge with another type of reading?

I also need to figure out what to get him as a thank you.  He doesn't drink anything but water so beer is out.  Spain doesn't really do gift cards.  Money seems impersonal/snobbish

Get him a case of water.  I mean, like nice water.  SmartWater, Fiji, Voss, something like that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

shp4man

I cant believe Mazda would use a nylon oil pressure line. This has to be some Pep Boys shit installed by a PO, right? 

Rich

Nope that was done at a reputable shop back in Idaho. I bought the autometer gauges but I guess the ones I got needed this setup. It will be changed

Cookie Monster

My oil pressure and temp gauges are electric. The sensors are installed on a sandwich plate on the oil filter so the only wires going into the car are electronic signal wires.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Rip it off.  Ain't nobody need that fancy shit
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

I've had both types of gauges. And I think both were reading from a fitting on the back of the intake manifold.