Work Truck

Started by SJ_GTI, April 25, 2016, 08:39:45 AM

SJ_GTI

So I was putting some mulch down on the edge of my yard this weekend. When I was backing my truck up to the area where the mulch was going to go I didn't notice the sharp incline of the yard versus the road. Its hard to tell from this picture but the top of the tire was just about up inside the wheel well. Was also surprised that the car itself stayed relatively flat/level while the rear suspension moved so much.

I was afraid something broke when I got out of the truck and saw it like that, but afterward it was driving just fine.  :praise:

ifcar

If that truck has a soul, it's grateful that this aspect of its capability was at last put to use.

giant_mtb

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on April 25, 2016, 08:43:06 AM
If that truck has a soul, it's grateful that this aspect of its capability was at last put to use.

:lol:

I use it for hauling crap all the time, although its main duty in the fall it to transport tailgating equipment to/from home games. I don't think it has ever been off road. It is 2WD only, FWIW.

shp4man

I like it. Which engine does it have?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: shp4man on April 25, 2016, 08:57:48 AM
I like it. Which engine does it have?

Some crappy V6 that gets like 10 mpg.  :lol:

I have no idea what size engine it is. This really is just a work truck to me. Minimal efforts are given to anything about it. My dad actually does most of the maintenance to it since he uses it more often than I do.

AutobahnSHO

2wd =/ truck      :lol:

Kidding, trucks are super-useful in many situations. Love that neighborhood!!
Will

CaminoRacer

I love 2wd trucks. They're super cheap and 99% as useful as 4x4.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

That 1% is a big deal though...

My Ranger was 2WD, and it was cheap and very good... Until I got stuck in a flat gravel parking lot.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

Sounds like you just needed a driver mod. :devil:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

I assure you that was not the case. ;)

To be fair, it was more cobbles than gravel, and it was loose and deep. It was funny, actually. I had parked there daily for months and months, and then one day there was a derelict '90s Lincoln left in the middle of the entrance. I pulled around it, slowed down to see what might have been up, and then when I tried to go again, just spun a tire. Tried a few things, gave up, went off to get a push. So there were two derelict cars blocking the entrance for ten minutes or so. I also got stuck in the same lot one time when it was icy-- truck was parked at a slight down angle, I had to break out the chains. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of things you don't really need 4WD for, but when you do...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on April 29, 2016, 05:46:56 PM
That 1% is a big deal though...

Agreed. I can get by with 2WD all of the time.  Until that one puddle, loose/steep/rocky/rutty/sandy/uneven hill, large amounts of ice/snow, etc. 

Rupert

Rupert

I've also been stuck with 4WD, but always further from help, so there's that.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on April 29, 2016, 06:27:47 PM
I assure you that was not the case. ;)

To be fair, it was more cobbles than gravel, and it was loose and deep. It was funny, actually. I had parked there daily for months and months, and then one day there was a derelict '90s Lincoln left in the middle of the entrance. I pulled around it, slowed down to see what might have been up, and then when I tried to go again, just spun a tire. Tried a few things, gave up, went off to get a push. So there were two derelict cars blocking the entrance for ten minutes or so. I also got stuck in the same lot one time when it was icy-- truck was parked at a slight down angle, I had to break out the chains. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of things you don't really need 4WD for, but when you do...

I once parked on lawn that had a slight incline to get to the driveway at a party. It started raining. I was just like "Well, I guess I live here now, because I'm not getting out."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

My HS buddy always drove in 2wd, even in snow/mud. Then used 4wd only to get unstuck.
Will

68_427

My friends 2wd ranger gets stuck EVERYWHERE.  Flat ground included.  No other 2wd truck is ever as bad as his Rangers were.

BTW the v6 in your RAM is a 3.9L
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

93JC

Rupert

Quote from: 68_427 on April 30, 2016, 07:25:55 AM
My friends 2wd ranger gets stuck EVERYWHERE.  Flat ground included.  No other 2wd truck is ever as bad as his Rangers were.

BTW the v6 in your RAM is a 3.9L

Yeah, no weight in the back. I tried sandbags, wasn't enough.

Byteme

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 25, 2016, 08:39:45 AM
So I was putting some mulch down on the edge of my yard this weekend. When I was backing my truck up to the area where the mulch was going to go I didn't notice the sharp incline of the yard versus the road. Its hard to tell from this picture but the top of the tire was just about up inside the wheel well. Was also surprised that the car itself stayed relatively flat/level while the rear suspension moved so much.

I was afraid something broke when I got out of the truck and saw it like that, but afterward it was driving just fine.  :praise:

That's not a work truck.  A work truck is a lower trim level, has a rubber floor mat, a bench seat and an 8' bed.    ;) :lol:  ;)

It's nice, by the way, to see a neighborhood where the houses are more than  5 feet apart.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CLKid on April 30, 2016, 02:01:43 PM
That's not a work truck.  A work truck is a lower trim level, has a rubber floor mat, a bench seat and an 8' bed.    ;) :lol:  ;)

It's nice, by the way, to see a neighborhood where the houses are more than  5 feet apart.

You know, I simply cannot find a proper bench seat for my '99 Chevy. It just seems wrong without it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2016, 05:54:49 AM
You know, I simply cannot find a proper bench seat for my '99 Chevy. It just seems wrong without it.
Bolt in a Barcalounger loveseat.   :lol: