These 5 Cars Made Acura What it is Today

Started by cawimmer430, April 30, 2016, 07:31:38 AM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

What is Acura today?  An embarrassing shell of what they used to be.  At least three of those cars were sports or sporty cars, four were were available with a manual, and the other was reliable, practical, no-nonsense, but not barebones, and affordable.  Now an ILX costs $28K to start and they don't sell anything with a stick. 

I honestly keep forgetting Acura exists.  And my next door neighbor has one. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on April 30, 2016, 07:58:52 AM
What is Acura today?  An embarrassing shell of what they used to be.  At least three of those cars were sports or sporty cars, four were were available with a manual, and the other was reliable, practical, no-nonsense, but not barebones, and affordable.  Now an ILX costs $28K to start and they don't sell anything with a stick.

This was an interesting comment on the post.

Quote from: Raza  on April 30, 2016, 07:58:52 AMI honestly keep forgetting Acura exists.  And my next door neighbor has one. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

The MDX made Acura what it is today. The others made Acura what it used to be.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on April 30, 2016, 08:06:05 AM
The MDX made Acura what it is today. The others made Acura what it used to be.

One day that will be a great quote listed in a book about automotive history! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

I think the RSX was a good car too, but I don't think we ever got a proper version of the DC5 Integra Type-R.  The DC5 ITR had like 20 more horsepower than the RSX-S, Brembos, an LSD.  It was a good looking car; perhaps insubstantial looking compared to today's monstrosities, but that could have been a real success. 

Honda just seems like a company that's out of sorts at the moment.  It feels like they were on top for so long, making great products, that they, for whatever reason, just forgot how. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Yea Im gonna go ahead and say pretty much any remnant of the DNA of those cars is basically stomped out.

Only one that lives on is the MDX.

Also it was the 91-95 Legend that really cemented Acura's place in the luxury market. Acura is a completely different brand now. To be fair though, the market is very different too. The jump from an Accord to a Legend in the early 90s was huge. Now you kind of have to nitpick to find the difference between a top of the line Civic and even a TLX. That's not because Acuras have declined in luxury though. It's because the average car has become so much better. The gap has closed across the board.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 30, 2016, 07:58:52 AM

I honestly keep forgetting Acura exists.  And my next door neighbor has one.
Eh....

A lot of this is just the market in general. Sporty cars have been in decline for the last 2 decades, largely because the average car has made huge strides in dynamics and performance. OK, an RSX Type-S is fun to drive, but a Civic Si sedan is too, and both the Civic 1.5 turbo and Accord Sport can at the minimum hang with one in a straight line and even possibly hang with one in braking and handling :huh: Stickshift prevailed for years because objectively automatics sucked by comparison. Obviously subjectively nothing will replace a stickshift, but for the typical luxury buyer that shit doesn't matter. Acura is hardly alone in your gripes... I'm pretty sure the next Q60 coupe won't have stickshift either, stomping that out at Infiniti, and you already know what is happening at BMW.

Combine higher economic constraints with crumbling infrastructure and less time.... people want cars that comfort and cosset, not goad and engage. Acura was wise to listen to the market... RSX best sales year was its debut year. It declined pretty significantly every year after in a steadyish/growing market :huh: Sucks for people like us but the market is cruel in its honesty.

Where I think Acura is truly messing up is in making its cars either completely generic or flat out ugly. They have dialed back the ugly but now they seem pretty timid in design. They peaked in design from 04-07.... they need to get that mojo back. They also need to completely revamp their infotainment system.... that thing is a complete mess and prob the top reason I wouldn't buy any current Acura.

MX793

This seems pertinent...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a29004/the-importance-of-being-acura/

QuoteI'm told by the people who know about these things that Acura truly exists nowadays to sell the crossovers, the MDX and the RDX. They do huge volume, and they're very profitable, and they have outstanding customer retention. The sedans are an afterthought. The coupes and hatches don't exist at all, with the exception of the new NSX. The days when Acura was the enthusiast's Honda, the Honda for the cognoscenti? They're as dead as the ain't-braggin'-if-it's-true Legend nameplate.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I mean, I get where dude is coming from, but at the same time, asking Acura to be more like it was in the 80s-90s is like demanding that the US economy go back to how it was in the post-war boom. We can't go back, for reasons we all know and have discussed ad nauseum. For better or worse Acura is doing exactly as it should be. We all loved the Legend, but large sedan sales have been in freefall over the last decade or so. We all loved the Integra, but let's be frank, the new Civic curb stomps the old Integra and current ILX, and I'm sure the ILX based on the 10th gen Civic will be phenomenal. And from 96-02 the only cars Acura had worth talking about were the ancient Integra and NSX. The TL and TSX only big draws over the TLX today was the availability of stickshift, which matters to an insignificant number of people, the infotainment, and the looks... the latter two I admit are legit issues. But the worst thing a volume auto manufacturer can do for its business today is cave to the juvenile demands of auto journalists. We have to face reality and adapt to it.

Cookie Monster

I agree, all those cars are what made Acura great. I'd love to own any of the 4 cars listed on there, and even the MDX is a great vehicle. Our family MDX is still going strong (other than the usual Honda transmission woes) and is a great ski hauler. I'm just sad that Acura exists only to peddle SUV's now.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

The whole auto industry exists to peddle SUVs now. The only big companies that have escaped so far are Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren and Aston, and there are grumblings about Aston and Lambo throwing in the towel. It is what it is.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 30, 2016, 12:56:08 PM
The whole auto industry exists to peddle SUVs now. The only big companies that have escaped so far are Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren and Aston, and there are grumblings about Aston and Lambo throwing in the towel. It is what it is.

None of those are big companies.  And only McLaren isn't under the umbrella of a larger automotive company.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on April 30, 2016, 01:15:14 PM
None of those are big companies.  And only McLaren isn't under the umbrella of a larger automotive company.
They are big compared to kit car companies and the like.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 30, 2016, 01:15:14 PM

Who owns Aston now? Aren't they still owned by Prodrive and/or Kuwaiti oil?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on May 03, 2016, 07:40:04 AM
Who owns Aston now? Aren't they still owned by Prodrive and/or Kuwaiti oil?

Some Italian equity fund owns the largest stake in them now.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

I feel like this thread title should have had a "You'll be surprised at car #3!!!" at the end.

Laconian

What made Acura the car it is today?

The TL, the RL, the CR-V based RDX, just one forgettable third tier lux car after another.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

I think Acura makes good cars for a certain kind of person. A CR-V is not enough for me, but an X3 3.0i is like $60K. RX350 is close but still too much. I can do an RDX. Same with Lincoln... not everyone wants or is willing to make financially irresponsible decisions to get in a Benz/Bimmer but mainstream rides are kind of blah

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on May 19, 2016, 02:22:06 PM
What made Acura the car it is today?

The TL, the RL, the CR-V based RDX, just one forgettable third tier lux car after another.

The first 2 generations of TL were a bit bland to look at, but supposedly drove quite well.  The 2nd gen TL-S was a C&D darling.  The third generation was both attractive and a good driver.  Then the 4th generation came out...
Needs more Jiggawatts