Why No Google?

Started by veeman, May 20, 2016, 02:36:14 PM

veeman

It's occurred a few times and I can't understand why?

A rock hit my windshield and over the next few days a small crack turned into a long crack.  So, because I felt like it and I have a long commute, I called my insurance company while driving via bluetooth to get it taken care of.  They, StateFarm, patch me through to their windshield division, and the agent asks me if I have any particular shop in mind.  I tell her the name of a body shop which I've had good results from (turns out they don't do windshield work, but that's besides the point) and what city they're located in.  She tells me after a minute or two she can't find their number.  I ask/tell her to just use "google".  She says they don't use "google."  WTF?  I felt like telling her to reach into her purse, pull out her smartphone, and get the number but instead I had to pull off the side of the road, get on my smartphone, and in 5 seconds using google, get her the number. 

When I had my GM Enclave I paid the monthly subscription for OnStar which was totally lame but I felt cool with people in the car to have someone talk to me and put in a destination in my super slow Navigation.  But often they couldn't find the destination.  I'd say, "Hi, Can you put into my navigation California Pizza Kitchen.  It's in this city in this state.  "We can't find it sir.  It's not listed."  Umm.  Hello?  It's a national chain restaurant and you, sitting at your desk in front of a computer which I am assuming has an internet connection, can't find it?  "It's not in our database."  WTF? 

Can businesses not use Google?  It's so stupid.

Raza

At work, I often told people to Google stuff. Depending on my mood and often the time of day, my exact words were often "Google it, motherfucker."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=airport+code+for+kuwait+international

I once sent that out in response to a work e-mail from someone asking that question.  Kind of a dick thing to do, but come on
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: Rich on May 20, 2016, 03:01:33 PM

I once sent that out in response to a work e-mail from someone asking that question.  Kind of a dick thing to do, but come on

I've done that too.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

:clap:

Laconian

Hey can you give me the URL for "Let Me Google That For You"?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

Actually yes, a lot of businesses block Google and other sites. I can still google stuff at my work, but I can no longer use Gmail there or use Google Docs. Someone at one point got a wild hair up their ass and decided it was a security risk, like supposedly all image sharing sites (none of which I can use or see at work).
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

veeman

Quote from: ChrisV on May 20, 2016, 05:16:34 PM
Actually yes, a lot of businesses block Google and other sites. I can still google stuff at my work, but I can no longer use Gmail there or use Google Docs. Someone at one point got a wild hair up their ass and decided it was a security risk, like supposedly all image sharing sites (none of which I can use or see at work).

Yes, yes.  I am sure higher up executives have the "admin" privileges to have much broader internet access too. 

shp4man

Using Edge, Microsoft's new browser, I googled something last night and got weird results. When you right click what you googled, there is a "use Bing" option.   :muffin:     After closing Edge and googling the exact same thing in Chrome, the results were what I expected.
What kind of shit is this?  Fucking Microshaft WTF?  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

You have to enable Google as default...
Will

AutobahnSHO

As for the original question, it's probably that they would need to pay some business license?
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 21, 2016, 05:42:36 AM
As for the original question, it's probably that they would need to pay some business license?

lol no. Google does not charge businesses for searching.

It's probably the result of some dumbass downloading a virus and blaming it on Google or something.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on May 20, 2016, 05:16:34 PM

My old job blocked Gmail because they felt too many people were wasting time on Gchat. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

What's weird though is if a large part of your job is to find stuff for people, and you can't use Google, that seems to be a very poor business model.  Half the stuff I asked GM Onstar to find, they couldn't find it.  It wasn't a cheap subscription either.  It was something like $30 or $40 a month.  Functionality included tracking your car if it was stolen, unlocking your car if you left your keys in it, calling Emergency if you were in an accident and incapacitated, and finding stuff for you and inputting it into your navigation.  They were mostly useless with finding stuff.  Also when I called them, the individual OnStar agent was always in a different part of the country.  I'd get a kick out of hearing a southern accent one time and a Texan accent another time, etc.  I'd chitchat for a few sentences, ask them to find something, they couldn't do it, I'd thank them for their time, ask my passenger to look it up on his/her smart phone, then pull over and put the car in park, then input it into the very very slow GM navigation, then get back on the road again. 

Then someone told me about Waze and I quit using the GM navigation.

CaminoRacer

I have a VPN that I can use to get around any silly website blocks.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV