FBC's Kit Car Build Thread.

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 25, 2016, 03:20:24 PM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

There's a good chance I would have bought the kit and donor too if I had known it was for sale.

FBC is the worst.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Thanks for all the kind words and support guys.

:ohyeah:

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

shp4man

Actually, this sort of thing is fairly common with garage projects. They start out with a dream, then a slow letdown to reality, then a loss of interest, then abandonment. There's even a show about it on Velocity.  ;)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FlatBlackCaddy

FlatBlackCaddy

Just too much on my plate. I still have a lot to do with the other cars. More than enough to keep me busy. That project was taking up 2 to 3 stalls, and represented the most work and the highest cost of completion. It was a no brainer as far as first to go.

Plus I got my money back, so not out much.

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 15, 2017, 08:23:23 PM
Just too much on my plate. I still have a lot to do with the other cars. More than enough to keep me busy. That project was taking up 2 to 3 stalls, and represented the most work and the highest cost of completion. It was a no brainer as far as first to go.

Pretty selfish if you ask me.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on November 16, 2017, 05:09:50 AM
Pretty selfish if you ask me.

I don't just play an asshole on TV, I'm one in real life too.

I'll find a way to make up for it on the next go around.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

FlatBlackCaddy

Rupert

You said you wanted to make up for your failures...

MrH

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 15, 2017, 08:23:23 PM

How much did you get for everything?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

About 9k, lost a few hundred bucks.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

I wish OEMs would just make cars like this. I imagine a mass produced Exocet would be cheaper than a real Miata. The question is whether or not the sports car market is too bitch made to support it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2017, 10:07:45 AM
I wish OEMs would just make cars like this. I imagine a mass produced Exocet would be cheaper than a real Miata. The question is whether or not the sports car market is too bitch made to support it

They'd never meet federal crash and safety standards.  By the time they add in all of the required safety stuff, crash tested in, and federalized it, it would be a much heavier and much more expensive vehicle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2017, 10:07:45 AM

A welded tube chassis can't be mass produced as cheaply as a stamped steel structure. The market just isn't there to support the costs involved.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on November 19, 2017, 10:53:42 AM
They'd never meet federal crash and safety standards.  By the time they add in all of the required safety stuff, crash tested in, and federalized it, it would be a much heavier and much more expensive vehicle.
I'd sign a waiver

I mean they still sell motorcycles. It's ridiculous.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2017, 04:27:26 PM
I'd sign a waiver

I mean they still sell motorcycles. It's ridiculous.

Motorcycles require a specialized license and operate very differently from an automobile.  Someone who has never driven/ridden a bike is unlikely to be able to jump onto a bike and make it very far without some instruction.  In contrast, someone who knows how to drive a car can jump into an Exocet or similar and drive off with little issue.

On a related note, I hear about far more ATV and snowmobile fatalities than I do dirtbikes out on the trails.  Why?  The latter require considerably more skill to operate, whereas the latter can be operated by anybody who's ever operated any kind of motor vehicle before given that they are statically stable and the controls are limited to throttle, steering, and brake.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on November 19, 2017, 04:42:31 PM
Motorcycles require a specialized license and operate very differently from an automobile.  Someone who has never driven/ridden a bike is unlikely to be able to jump onto a bike and make it very far without some instruction.  In contrast, someone who knows how to drive a car can jump into an Exocet or similar and drive off with little issue.
Which is why they would make you sign a waiver when you buy one. "This thing has no airbags, no crumple zone, and will probably decapitate you a crash with a CR-V... you cool wit dat?" In the UK people DD track specials all over... I saw a few Caterams during the week I was there.

Only issue I see is it could open the door for manufacturers to strip away safety features on regular cars to cut costs.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2017, 05:26:27 PM
Which is why they would make you sign a waiver when you buy one. "This thing has no airbags, no crumple zone, and will probably decapitate you a crash with a CR-V... you cool wit dat?" In the UK people DD track specials all over... I saw a few Caterams during the week I was there.

Only issue I see is it could open the door for manufacturers to strip away safety features on regular cars to cut costs.

The argument for motorcycles has always been that they aren't very likely to endanger anybody but themselves. Of course that does happen, but a 500 lb single passenger vehicle does much less damage than a 4000 lb six passenger one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

Motorcycles have been around since before safety regulations which makes them hard to force out of production. It is also very difficult to design safety features into motorcycles so they are essentially grandfathered into the system as an exception to the rules. There  is no way that they will allow new mass produced vehicles into the system as exceptions.

giant_mtb

On a related note, I hear about far more ATV and snowmobile fatalities than I do dirtbikes out on the trails.  Why?  The latter require considerably more skill to operate, whereas the latter can be operated by anybody who's ever operated any kind of motor vehicle before given that they are statically stable and the controls are limited to throttle, steering, and brake.

True dat.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 20, 2017, 07:59:35 AM
The argument for motorcycles has always been that they aren't very likely to endanger anybody but themselves. Of course that does happen, but a 500 lb single passenger vehicle does much less damage than a 4000 lb six passenger one.
Then we can put a weight limit on these things (even better). As low and light as these things are, if there's any kind of vehicle to vehicle contact mosquito car occupants lose. Still way better than a motorcycle.

Rupert

There are also a lot more ATVs than dirtbikes, at least around here.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on November 20, 2017, 08:13:36 PM
There are also a lot more ATVs than dirtbikes, at least around here.

And ATVs are a lot easier to ride under the influence of alcohol...no balancing, lots are clutchless shifting.

FlatBlackCaddy

New thread coming soon, whole new project......

FlatBlackCaddy