Review of 05 Buick Terraza

Started by BMWDave, May 18, 2005, 05:28:22 AM

BMWDave

2005 Buick Terraza

By Ronald Ahrens

Buick has entered the minivan segment for the very first time with the 2005 Terraza. This offering is seen as a draw for new and younger buyers. Indeed, the Terraza name well might get the attention of those same suburbanites who leaf through each issue of the Crate & Barrel catalog and then deploy their credit cards. However, whether the Terraza appeals beyond the just-looking stage remains to be seen; the Terraza?s fancy features can?t mask its ancient roots. Let?s start with the high points. Chief among them is the tan-and-mocha leather interior of the CXL model we tested. (Buick?s name for this dיcor scheme is Cashmere, but we fear printing that word too baldly, lest the reader think the deck-stitched upholstery is pashmina.) Matching carpets are tasteful, and the plastic surfaces are attractively textured. Wood inserts and brushed-metal accents highlight the cabin.

The instrument panel presents modern gauges inside metal bezels. Ergonomics are satisfactory; in fact, the stalk-mounted cruise-control system surpasses that offered by Cadillac. There are plenty of cup holders and map lights, and several handy seatback storage pockets for headphones and other items. The overhead center console and rail system also has snap-in pockets for storage of CDs and DVDs, and there?s even a first aid kit.

Two models are offered: the CX ($28,825) and CXL ($31,705). Front-wheel drive is standard, and the General Motors StabiliTrak vehicle control system is optional. Versatrak all-wheel drive is available on both models. Power-operated sliding side doors are standard. So is an overhead, rear-passenger DVD entertainment system with infrared wireless headphones.

Our well-equipped Terraza CXL came with all-wheel drive, dual-stage front airbags and a sensing system for the right-front passenger, optional side airbags, rear parking assist, and OnStar. It also included eight-way power front seats with two-position driver?s seat memory, dual-zone climate control, and rear air conditioning. The very good audio system features a six-disc CD changer and MP3 player, and of course there are controls on the steering wheel. Our Terraza CXL rode on all-season touring tires mounted on attractive 10-spoke, chrome-plated, 17-inch wheels. A roof rack of brushed aluminum added functionality and class. We enjoyed the optional XM satellite radio that allowed us to listen to the Bluesville channel and learn all about Lightnin? Hopkins?s first trip to the recording studios in California. The two-stage, heated front seats and remote starting served us well during a cold, snowy week. The grand total for all this came to $36,290. Sticker shock is going to be a factor with the Terraza, because it?s trying to go shoulder to shoulder with the best from Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota.

Does it offer comparable value? It rides and handles well enough. The fully independent front and rear suspension features cast aluminum control arms and keeps the Terraza poised. The Versatrak AWD system makes the power steering rather heavy at low speeds, but we ran this van during a snowy week and gratefully benefited from its sure-footedness. With power disc brakes at all four corners, the Terraza stopped surely. Automatic rear level control compensates in case of a heavy load.

In the powertrain department, though, the Terraza is on the woeful side. It shares the engine and transmission used in the Saturn Relay. This 3.5-liter V-6 is lazy, and the four-speed automatic transmission is unambitious. The accelerator pedal has an abrupt tip-in that makes the minivan lurch forward, but that?s not to be mistaken for real power. And the column-mounted shift lever virtually precludes any manual control while the vehicle is in motion. (Say, for example, that second gear is desired in order to take advantage of engine braking on a snowy downhill slope; when we moved the lever back to high gear, we went too far and hit neutral.) Top competitors have moved their shifters to the center stack, which is ideal in a minivan.

For a more detailed analysis of the powertrain?s shortcomings, we refer you to our assessment of same in the Saturn Relay, elsewhere on this Web site. Or just accept our word that it?s grossly insufficient. And incidentally, fuel economy of 17/23 mpg is at the bottom of the class. At this price point, another problem the Terraza faces is lack of feature content. Whether we?re talking molded plastic hooks in the cargo area for plastic grocery bags, or a tri-zone automatic climate control system, the Terraza keeps coming up a bit short. (The rear cargo and convenience area, which is an array of molded plastic compartments on the floor, didn?t impress us very much.) The unavailability of a power-operated liftgate is inexcusable.

Finally, we arrive at the critical issue of the chassis and body, which are architecturally outdated: too narrow, too long, too tall. The sliding side doors operate on guides that intrude into the passenger compartment. Even though a male driver of less than average height scooted the seat as far back as it could go, his left knee was always touching the door; elbow and head room were awfully precious, and cargo volume (136.5 cubic feet) is less than expected. Sitting in the second row meant our knees always clunked against the first-row seatbacks?and there?s no fore-and-aft adjustability for the second-row seats. (It?s actually more comfortable in the 50/50-split third row.) Finally, add to this equation the outmoded second-row captain?s chairs that are beastly to remove and obstruct entry and exit for third-row passengers.

Despite a good effort by planners and engineers, the Terraza is handicapped by the inherent disadvantages of GM?s minivans, and it never quite manages to overcome them. It offers only one class-leading feature: the mobile digital-storage module, PhatNoise, which interfaces with computers and other devices, giving you lots of say-so as to the infotainment content. There?s also a Sit-N-Lift second-row seat for the person who needs help entering the vehicle. These reasons might be good enough to buy the Terraza. Or maybe you?ve just been desperately awaiting the first minivan from Buick. For the rest of us, better alternatives exist at the Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler dealers, and they aren?t any more expensive.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

GM apparently figured out that the 3.5-liter V6 is "grossly insufficient" in the CSVs, and all get an available 3.9-liter for 2006.  

BMWDave

QuoteGM apparently figured out that the 3.5-liter V6 is "grossly insufficient" in the CSVs, and all get an available 3.9-liter for 2006.
Thats good news.  What type of engine will this 3.9 be.  How much hp?

1000th post!  :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteGM apparently figured out that the 3.5-liter V6 is "grossly insufficient" in the CSVs, and all get an available 3.9-liter for 2006.
No idea.  

SJ_GTI

No idea.
It will be the new OHV with VVT engine, also going into the G6.

It should make about 240 HP and 240 lb-ft of torque. Still not class leading, but very competitive.

mazda6er

Quote1000th post!  :praise:
hmmm... Isn't there anything after "advanced member"? If there is, it must be a very large number of posts.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

Slightly off topic:

In my opinion, GM should pick two of their four identical minivans (preferably the Buick and the Pontiac) and drop them. Position the Saturn Relay against vans like the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey, and have the Uplander compete with domestic entries. Buick does not need a minivan and Pontiac, if it is as sporty as they claim it to be, should not have one either.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteSlightly off topic:

In my opinion, GM should pick two of their four identical minivans (preferably the Buick and the Pontiac) and drop them. Position the Saturn Relay against vans like the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey, and have the Uplander compete with domestic entries. Buick does not need a minivan and Pontiac, if it is as sporty as they claim it to be, should not have one either.
Buick should take over the Sienna and Odyssey, not the Saturn.  Saturn is a more youthful brand and should not take on the upper end entries.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

QuoteSlightly off topic:

Buick should take over the Sienna and Odyssey, not the Saturn.  Saturn is a more youthful brand and should not take on the upper end entries.
GM is attempting to move Saturn up-market. Buick's main clientel is the 50 and over age group. How many older folks need minivans? I know you could argue that they're trying to shoot for a younger demographic with Buick, but they're looking for businessmen, not soccer moms.
--Mark

BMWDave

QuoteSlightly off topic:

GM is attempting to move Saturn up-market. Buick's main clientel is the 50 and over age group. How many older folks need minivans? I know you could argue that they're trying to shoot for a younger demographic with Buick, but they're looking for businessmen, not soccer moms.
My point was that Buick is more in tune with luxury than Saturn.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

QuoteSlightly off topic:

I know. I'm saying that GM wants to make Saturn a more luxurious brand. An example of this is the difference between the Sky and the Solstice. In addition, Toyota and Honda aren't luxury brands anyway. Even considering GM build quality, a Buick minivan is a little overkill. How many other "luxury" divisions make minivans? None. (Don't say Mercedes, because they're just smoking pot right now with all they're funky new designs) Saturn is supposed to be the new import fighter (taking over for Oldsmobile) and Honda and Toyota are imports. I rest my case.  Unless you make me angry.  :D  
--Mark

BMWDave

QuoteSlightly off topic:

I know. I'm saying that GM wants to make Saturn a more luxurious brand. An example of this is the difference between the Sky and the Solstice. In addition, Toyota and Honda aren't luxury brands anyway. Even considering GM build quality, a Buick minivan is a little overkill. How many other "luxury" divisions make minivans? None. (Don't say Mercedes, because they're just smoking pot right now with all they're funky new designs) Saturn is supposed to be the new import fighter (taking over for Oldsmobile) and Honda and Toyota are imports. I rest my case.  Unless you make me angry.  :D
I agree with you.  But Toyota and Honda are known as the better minvans in this class.  Thats what I meant.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

QuoteIt offers only one class-leading feature: the mobile digital-storage module, PhatNoise,
PhatNoise! Dat be gangsta bitches!  :rockon:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club