What Euro crapbox should I negotiate for our Europe trip rental?

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 07, 2016, 11:01:40 AM

12,000 RPM

I really enjoyed the Fiat Panda we had last time, though this time I think I wanna go with something a little bigger as I'm guessing it will be comfier on Britain's less great roads. I have no idea what we will get, but I'm seeing Astras and the like on the websites. I guess a better question is which cars should I avoid? I'm def not messing with anything French. After my experience with the Kia Soul I will probably avoid the Koreans too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

No, get something French.  German GM cars aren't all that interesting.  French cars usually drive like shit but have goofy quirks about them.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

The late model 208 and 308 are very well reviewed. And the 108 is secretly a Toyota.

If anything, you should get something like a C4 Cactus - it's the darling of Europe, and quirky and cool. I've seen one in person in Detroit. And it was super cool.

Also, most Korean City cars are well reviewed too - the Picanto and i10 are tops in their segment....

Also, you may want to stick with a small car, still. My roommate has property in the UK, and she rented a Toyota Avensis (basically about the same size as the Corolla, but slightly longer) and it was like driving a house.

2o6

I feel like you've already made up your mind to hate it tho lol

Rich

Yeah if you want quirks get french, for sure.

I'm sure there's somewhere that would let you rent an OG MINI.  I know there's a place in Scotland that you can rent an old Jag XK to drive around.

You're going to be stuck in a metric shit ton of traffic.  Keep that in mind for whatever you get.  No matter how far off the beaten path you go, you will be following a line of cars below the speed limit between 7am and 8pm.

Hightly recommend a drive through the Cotswolds on the way to Stonehenge.  It's a bit out of the way, but necessary.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rich on June 07, 2016, 11:50:10 AM
You're going to be stuck in a metric shit ton of traffic.  Keep that in mind for whatever you get.  No matter how far off the beaten path you go, you will be following a line of cars below the speed limit between 7am and 8pm.
This is why I'm opting for the compact over the economy car... should be more comfortable in what sounds like a less than great grind.

Not looking for quirks at all... Doug DeMuro rented a Citroen, and described it as the worst car he's ever driven. Granted, he is an idiot, but his reasons were quasi legit. There was nothing memorable about the car, and its "quirks" were just poor ergonomic choices. I'd be happy with a Mini, Golf, Focus or something along those lines.

I'm pretty sure the Cactus would be a premium car, which I'm not willing to pay for. Driving my Civic every day makes a new Golf a premium car :lol:

Raza

Anything French, really.  You've got to experience it for yourself. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2016, 01:14:55 PM
This is why I'm opting for the compact over the economy car... should be more comfortable in what sounds like a less than great grind.

Not looking for quirks at all... Doug DeMuro rented a Citroen, and described it as the worst car he's ever driven. Granted, he is an idiot, but his reasons were quasi legit. There was nothing memorable about the car, and its "quirks" were just poor ergonomic choices. I'd be happy with a Mini, Golf, Focus or something along those lines.

I'm pretty sure the Cactus would be a premium car, which I'm not willing to pay for. Driving my Civic every day makes a new Golf a premium car :lol:

DeMuro rented a C-Elysse - a french car only sold in Eastern Europe. That was a budget model made in Eastern Europe and somehow ended up where he was as a rental.

It'd be like renting a basic Mexican-Spec Chevrolet Chevy (C2) and saying that all Chevrolets are junk.

Also, ther Cactus is a budget car. The Cactus is Citroen's budget line.

2o6

I mean, come on. The Focus and Golf they get there are the same at home. Live a little! Get something you can't get at home!

12,000 RPM

If they have Cactii for rent I will give it a look. But if it sucks there will be hell to pay!!!!

I wouldn't mind something diesel with decent power and a ton of torque. The ~70HP in the Panda was just enough... with a turbo and diesel torque that same power might have been a lot more enjoyable.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on June 07, 2016, 01:22:03 PM
Anything French, really.  You've got to experience it for yourself. 

This. Renault or Citroen.

Or, look at spending a bit more. "Premium" rentals aren't really that expensive in Europe. I've gotten 3 series, 1 series and an E-class on my trips there.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 07, 2016, 01:53:48 PM
This. Renault or Citroen.

Or, look at spending a bit more. "Premium" rentals aren't really that expensive in Europe. I've gotten 3 series, 1 series and an E-class on my trips there.

For some reason I read this as an "E-series and 1-class"

Laconian

On the low-end, Renault >> Citroen IMO. I've driven a couple C3's and they suck. All of the Renaults I've driven (Modus, Scenic, Megane) have some decent qualities about them.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Don't know if you could rent this, but it's cool in a Brit kind of way.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on June 07, 2016, 11:14:39 AM

I feel like you've already made up your mind to hate it tho lol

What the hell is this abomination? Is it French? They are a weak people, get something German or Japanese. At least with a German car, the GPS will automatically lead you directly to Poland, no matter what you type in.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Pommes-T

My parents lately did a roadtrip through the UK... they had a Volkswagen Eos, they always try to get convertibles. They said, in some villages, the roads were so narrow, that the Eos was a bit too big actually.

I'd suggest, rent as small as you can - saves you money and is definitely a "European experience". If you come to germany, get a big engine though...
'00 BMW 523i

Galaxy

Europcar has a Mini Cooper, both manual and automatic. They also have the Fiat 500 Abarth.

12,000 RPM

I feel like wifey would not like the Abarth. The Mini Cooper sounds good though. I don't know who she made the reservation through but we can probably cancel and go with Europcar. Would be nice to sample that 1.5T 3 banger and since we are gonna be in England it seems appropriate

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2016, 07:14:47 AM
I feel like wifey would not like the Abarth. The Mini Cooper sounds good though. I don't know who she made the reservation through but we can probably cancel and go with Europcar. Would be nice to sample that 1.5T 3 banger and since we are gonna be in England it seems appropriate

Abarth is just as roomy, sounds awesome, and is fantastic to drive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

MINI is bigger and more refined. I have the Civic here if I want something rambunctious. Trying to relax and be comfy on this trip

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2016, 08:06:29 AM
MINI is bigger and more refined. I have the Civic here if I want something rambunctious. Trying to relax and be comfy on this trip

Oh right, I forgot the new Mini is huge now. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2016, 08:06:29 AM

:wtf: :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2016, 07:14:47 AM

You can get that engine here. I've driven a few Mini's with it.

12,000 RPM

A quick test drive around the block isn't the same as spending a few days with a car.

And with the coilovers + intake the Civic is a ton of fun. If any of you find yourselves in NC I will take you on my test loop. But it's not boomy + top heavy + annoying like the Abarth. I'm just not into the Abarth.

2o6

The Abarth is basically a Panda with more power.

The Abarth is as stiff as a board, so it's too fucking uncomfortable.

I feel like you'll most likely end up in a new 3cyl Focus or Fiesta.

12,000 RPM

veeman

I found rental rates in England to be much more reasonable than in continental or mainland Europe.  I rented a Ford Mondeo last time I was there and I don't remember it being outrageous in price.  It felt large and wide but there are plenty of equivalent sized cars in congested London.  Since you are not used to driving on the other side of the road and using your left hand to shift, and since you're not familiar with the roads, I suggest you get an automatic.  Factor in rental insurance in your cost because I doubt your current auto insurance will cover a rental in England.  If your car comes with a navigation (my Mondeo did) you won't have to rent a GPS too.  I believe there is a congestion charge you have to pay if you drive in London during business hours on the weekday and typically it is the renter's responsibility to register their vehicle for this which is kind of a pain in the ass.