Ooof.... Alpha platform can't catch a break.

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 13, 2016, 06:07:06 PM

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on August 24, 2016, 11:43:12 AM
That is why they'll never happen - being 99% reliable/effective is literally a billion miles away from being truly autonomous - imagine if jetliners were only 99% safe - you'd have thousands of crashes per day in the US. The gap will only close by decreasing the process window, which means standardization on what the sensors/cameras/etc. would be looking at. This is a very common conundrum in industrial automated guided vehicle and machine vision applications (which I do a lot of).

Some facets of "autonomous" tech - adaptive cruise control, emergency braking, land departure, etc. - are benefits but they'll never truly be autonomous on any sort of deployable scale.

Autonomous cars don't have to get to the level of airplane reliability, just *significantly* above the level of current human driver performance.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 24, 2016, 03:28:44 PM
Autonomous cars don't have to get to the level of airplane reliability, just *significantly* above the level of current human driver performance.

They pretty much have to in order to be accepted on any sort of scale (i.e., the general public).

Vinsanity

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 24, 2016, 10:21:20 AM
ATS/CTS should have been the SS. V8 only. 3 series size with usable back seat. No more than $50K with Magnaride.

the SS is much larger than the 3-series; larger even than the current CTS.

I do agree that the ATS-V should've had the LT1 instead, but that doesn't account for why the ATS in general hasn't met sales expectations.

I think what we've learned here is that even if you out-BMW BMW (which Cadillac has done), people will still buy based on brand/reputation.

12,000 RPM

BMW isn't the 3 series anymore. It's shit like the i3 and X4s.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 24, 2016, 08:02:41 PM
BMW isn't the 3 series anymore. It's shit like the i3 and X4s.
Actually, both of those are great. You should go drive them. And the 3 is still the rainmaker for the brand.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 24, 2016, 07:33:54 PM
the SS is much larger than the 3-series; larger even than the current CTS.

I do agree that the ATS-V should've had the LT1 instead, but that doesn't account for why the ATS in general hasn't met sales expectations.

I think what we've learned here is that even if you out-BMW BMW (which Cadillac has done), people will still buy based on brand/reputation.

I think it is almost exactly the same size as the current CTS. Definitely larger than the ATS/3-Series/A4 class of car though.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 25, 2016, 04:51:25 AM
Actually, both of those are great. You should go drive them. And the 3 is still the rainmaker for the brand.
I prob shouldn't have used the word "shit". They are good cars. But they are pretty far from what BMW was 20, 30 years ago. With Mercedes the S-Class is still the essence of the brand.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs