Guess Its Time For New Wheels

Started by SJ_GTI, June 25, 2016, 09:08:24 AM

SJ_GTI

So I hit a pothole and afterwards my front end felt a little weird. Got home and found this:

Its not horrible (ie: the tire didn't blow out), but not drivable IMHO.

I have been pretty happy with these replicas wheels so my first instinct was to buy a single replacement wheel. Unfortunately scanning through the website where I bought this wheel (http://hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels) it doesn't look like my exact wheel style is offerred any more. They have similar style (glass anthracite and gloss silver), but mine were machines silver (HR8-MS instead of the HR8-GA or HR8-GS styles). Apart from that, even in the similar styles they don't have the same size (19x8.5 ET38). Stock size is actually 19x8.5 ET43, FWIW.

So all that being said I guess I will be buying a new set of wheels. I still have the OEM wheels, but I use those for my winter tires. From checking my tires I think there is still plenty of rubber left so I am not going to replace those yet.

Using the samewebsite above, the only style I find interesting are these:

Cost is $290 each (plus shipping, I assume), which isn't bad.

I have been poking around tirerack but honestly I don't know much about different wheel manufacturers. Only one I have really heard of is BBS, and their wheels seem to mostly be in the $500-600 (each) range. I think I'd like to stick with silver (or grey). Generally speaking I prefered the machined aluminum look over the painted silver look. Have to say though scrolling through the wheels I didn't see anything that really struck my fancy.

These look nice, but are a 19x8.5 ET35 and are roughly $500 each (before shipping):

Little worried they might not fit. My current wheels are already pushed out versus OEM, so not sure if going out a bit further will be fine or not.

These are decent looking and are exactly the same size as my current wheels (19x8.5 ET38), roughly $450 each (before shipping):

What do you guys think?

CALL_911

If you can swing it, I'd go for the BBS. Those look awesome (IMO better than your R8 replicas)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

SJ_GTI

Quote from: mzziaz on June 25, 2016, 09:26:24 AM
New car?

I actually thought about this after I posted. Instead of spending another 2k on wheels I could just go back to my OEM wheels and start looking at new cars. Its essentially a "discount" of 2k versus buying the new wheels, driving the car for another year or two, and then trading it in.

TBH though I am not sure there are any new cars out that I like better than my car. It seems like most of the choices would be a compromise in some way: Less poer, fewer doors, fewer driven wheels, or something. That being said there are a lot of nice cars I admire, like the 2-series, the Chevy Camaro, the Golf R, etc...(can't see myself getting a new A4 since it got even bigger and the current S4 on sale is essentially the same as my car).

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 25, 2016, 09:26:11 AM
If you can swing it, I'd go for the BBS. Those look awesome (IMO better than your R8 replicas)

I don't mean to humblebrag but its not the ability to afford it, just a matter of whether I want to or not. I am fairly conservative with my money so I don't have any unusual debt (just the house because I just bought it ~7 months ago) and I keep a pretty nice cushion of cash.

12,000 RPM

Any reason to go car shopping is a good one. Plus it's better to buy when you want to rather than when you have to. I think you would really like a 6MT Golf R.

Tire Rack had good brands though. Off the top of my head,  Enkei, Oz Rally, Kosei and some other brands make great stuff.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

I'd go OEM style.  IMO aftermarket wheels look kinda goofy at stock ride height.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Eh idk about new car shopping, I feel like anything he'd consider with AWD at this point would be a downgrade from his S4. Since $ ain't an issue I vote BBS

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SJ_GTI

FWIW, was talking to my dad (works in a mechanics shop) and he says they work with another company in town that can repair wheels. I am skeptical you can fix something like this, but I am gonna wait and see I think. No reason to throw money down the drain if I don't have to.

MX793

It may be repairable.  I'd check the tire over for signs of broken belts.  A hit sharp enough to bend rim will often break belts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

That is repairable. I've had similar damage fixed.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on June 25, 2016, 01:28:18 PM
It may be repairable.  I'd check the tire over for signs of broken belts.  A hit sharp enough to bend rim will often break belts.

There was nothing visible. If the wheel is repairable it'll get checked while the wheel is out for repair.

Char

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

SJ_GTI

Small update, the repair shop says they can indeed fix it, will cost about $150.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 28, 2016, 07:39:27 AM
Small update, the repair shop says they can indeed fix it, will cost about $150.

Told ya.

You missed the Thanks Obama meme when you got them bent though.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Char

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 28, 2016, 07:39:27 AM

We have mobile wheel repair out where I'm at. They come to you and do it on the spot...anything like that there?
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Xer0

I'm happy for you, but the new car idea was very inspired and I had already made a top 5 list for ya!

When are you going to get repaired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Xer0 on June 28, 2016, 10:38:52 AM
I'm happy for you, but the new car idea was very inspired and I had already made a top 5 list for ya!

When are you going to get repaired?

Probably next week? I am going to drop the wheel and money to my dad and he is going to have them pick it up at the shop where he works.

giant_mtb

I wonder how they fix it.  Some sort of truing machine? 

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2016, 01:18:51 PM

Port-a-power, a torch, and a ball-peen hammer.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2016, 01:18:51 PM

Dent the other three wheels so they all feel the same.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Cookie Monster on June 28, 2016, 03:26:11 PM
Dent the other three wheels so they all feel the same.

You guyz are the best
Will

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Semi-related...

So my "check engine" light has lit up a couple times. Every time it was from an evap code. Now here in NJ this is not particularly uncommon since we rely on Neanderthals to fill up our gas tanks and hopefully put the fuel cap back on correctly...and that last part has like a 50% success rate.

Anyway it kept happening so I replaced the gas cap. In checking it the seal was worn and cracked in a few places, so I was thinking that might have been causing it.

But it has now happened two more times since then, so I am pretty sure something is not right. Since I am getting a wheel fixed anyway I am planning to drop my car off at the shop (where my dad works) and they are going to try and figure out what is going on. I have to be honest though I have never heard of this type of issue before (and then it not be the result of a simple gas cap).

AutobahnSHO

Any chance the fuel filler tube (and the vent tube that goes with it whatever that is called) could have been damaged?? Leaking fuel line somewhere?
Will

SJ_GTI

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 30, 2016, 01:40:27 PM
Any chance the fuel filler tube (and the vent tube that goes with it whatever that is called) could have been damaged?? Leaking fuel line somewhere?

All possibilities I guess.

Its has been an intermittent issue so I doubt it is something like a leaking fuel line, but you never know.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 30, 2016, 12:49:28 PM
Semi-related...

So my "check engine" light has lit up a couple times. Every time it was from an evap code. Now here in NJ this is not particularly uncommon since we rely on Neanderthals to fill up our gas tanks and hopefully put the fuel cap back on correctly...and that last part has like a 50% success rate.

Anyway it kept happening so I replaced the gas cap. In checking it the seal was worn and cracked in a few places, so I was thinking that might have been causing it.

But it has now happened two more times since then, so I am pretty sure something is not right. Since I am getting a wheel fixed anyway I am planning to drop my car off at the shop (where my dad works) and they are going to try and figure out what is going on. I have to be honest though I have never heard of this type of issue before (and then it not be the result of a simple gas cap).

Oh goodness. I haven't really thought about the gas pump laws before. I've had someone fill up my tank before, but it's always been a rental car. I wouldn't be able to get gas in NJ or Oregon in my El Camino. They'd be almost guaranteed to screw something up 95% of the time. What a nightmare.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 30, 2016, 12:49:28 PM
I have to be honest though I have never heard of this type of issue before (and then it not be the result of a simple gas cap).

Damn literally every car I've ever owned that was OBDII has thrown EVAP codes and had actual problems unrelated to the gas cap. 
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no