Guess Its Time For New Wheels

Started by SJ_GTI, June 25, 2016, 09:08:24 AM

SJ_GTI

A bit of an update...

Looks like two of the wheels are actually out of round. The one with the visible dent was the front passenger side but the wheel from the rear passenger side also needs to be fixed apparently. So overall I will be spending closer to $300 to get them fixed.

Re: the evap code, I had to fill up on gas this weekend so of course the code went away.  :lol: The mechanic there is gonna drive it back and forth from home for a couple days to see if he can get it to come back.

In the mean time I have been searching on the interwebs to see if any local dealers have a 6MT Chevy SS for sale. This 20% of deal seems too good to be true (even understanding it will be an "old" model year in a couple of months). Not sure if I will jump on it, but I am seriously considering it. 40k for a RWD, V8, manual transmission sedan that, by all accounts, drives like an E39 BMW M5...?

MrH

You're letting a mechanic drive your S4 back and forth from home for a few days? :mask:

Go buy an SS.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on July 05, 2016, 10:51:35 AM
You're letting a mechanic drive your S4 back and forth from home for a few days? :mask:

Go buy an SS.

I have known him 15+ years, its not just a random guy.  :lol:

SJ_GTI

So no local 6MT Chevy SS's for sure, but there are some auto's.

Talking to a Chevy dealer at lunch time, they said I would just have to take delivery by 7/8. I am waiting on a call back, but in concept they can get cars from other dealers but given the short timing it may not be possible (normally takes ~48-72 hours to get a car delivered from a different dealer).

There are some dealers that show a manual Chevy SS in stock, but they are all a couple hours away. Don't feel like driving that distance just to find out the deal can't be worked out, so I am going to try to work with a local dealer first.

MrH

Go drive the auto.  If you love it, buy a manual from somewhere else in the country and ship it.  It's a tremec t56 transmission I think.  Nothing to hide there.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Heads up, there's a sweet one (6mt) on eBay right now somewhere in PA

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Nvm it must have sold. I saw it this morning

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on July 05, 2016, 12:26:01 PM
Go drive the auto.  If you love it, buy a manual from somewhere else in the country and ship it.  It's a tremec t56 transmission I think.  Nothing to hide there.

Talked to the sales guy, this is my plan.

He says there is one Blue 6MT SS in their normal trading range he is going to try to get. He is going to try and get that one for a trade. Only downside for me is that it doesn't have a sunroof. There are several Black 6MT SS's around (with and without sunroof) if he cannot get the other dealer to trade blue one.

He is pretty confident he can get it all done by 7/8 though. I am going to pick my car up from my dad's shop tonight and take it to the dealer to get a trade in value and see if we can work out the money aspect. So I MIGHT be getting a new car.  :hmm:

veeman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 30, 2016, 04:24:17 PM
Oh goodness. I haven't really thought about the gas pump laws before. I've had someone fill up my tank before, but it's always been a rental car. I wouldn't be able to get gas in NJ or Oregon in my El Camino. They'd be almost guaranteed to screw something up 95% of the time. What a nightmare.

Just get out of your car and open up the gas cap and stand near the guy as he fills it.  Then when it's done, and the guy has removed the pump, screw the gas cap back on.  It's a small bit awkward but not a big deal. 
Whenever I'm in New Jersey or a full service only gas station, I have to do it like this because my fuel door cover actuator is broken and I never bothered to get it fixed.  I have to use the tips of my fingers of both hands with a lot of pressure to pry it open.  It closes fine though.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 05, 2016, 12:48:20 PM
Heads up, there's a sweet one (6mt) on eBay right now somewhere in PA

Link?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Found it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-SS-/182190358383?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a6b643f6f:g:FhwAAOSwiYFXEWo3&item=182190358383

I've been there many times, it's 20 minutes from my house, and right down from where Tony bought his GTI. 

Oh wait, this is an automatic.  This is the one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-SS-/381626860270?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58dabbc2ee:g:YCYAAOSwInxXM3qw&item=381626860270

That shit's out by Wayne.  Not far by miles, but about an hour's drive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 05, 2016, 12:53:49 PM
Talked to the sales guy, this is my plan.

He says there is one Blue 6MT SS in their normal trading range he is going to try to get. He is going to try and get that one for a trade. Only downside for me is that it doesn't have a sunroof. There are several Black 6MT SS's around (with and without sunroof) if he cannot get the other dealer to trade blue one.

He is pretty confident he can get it all done by 7/8 though. I am going to pick my car up from my dad's shop tonight and take it to the dealer to get a trade in value and see if we can work out the money aspect. So I MIGHT be getting a new car.  :hmm:

You're not going to miss having AWD?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on July 05, 2016, 01:57:46 PM
You're not going to miss having AWD?

I probably will, but the deal seems too good to pass up. I've always used winter wheels/tires even with AWD, so I will do the same thing with RWD and it should be fine.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

If it's the darker blue I think you'd have the only on in that color on TCL
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Just back from the dealer. Will definitely be buying one if they can get one by Friday. Aiming for blue, but will settle for black.

Quote from: 68_427 on July 05, 2016, 02:27:17 PM
If it's the darker blue I think you'd have the only on in that color on TCL

The cars in their database are Slipstream Blue, which I think I have seen on TCL at least once. And FWIW I can't seem to post over there anymore. They changed the passwords and whatever e-mail i registered under is no longer in use (by me). Sucks, I had been a member there for almost a decade.

FlatBlackCaddy

I "applied" for a account and never heard back, what a joke.

SJ_GTI

PS. Found out my wheels never got picked up today from my dad's shop, so put a hold on that for now.

Xer0

Oh this took an exciting turn.  I have yet to actually see an SS in the wild, but everything I've read about them has been amazing.  If you do go and test drive the auto, I'd be very eager to hear impressions.

CALL_911

SJ did you check out that link?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Also, color me jealous. I love the SS

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on July 05, 2016, 06:31:47 PM
Oh this took an exciting turn.  I have yet to actually see an SS in the wild, but everything I've read about them has been amazing.  If you do go and test drive the auto, I'd be very eager to hear impressions.

Thought I might have spotted one today, but it turned out to be a 13-15 Malibu.   :tounge:
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 05, 2016, 06:45:29 PM
SJ did you check out that link?

The ebay link? I saw it, but not remotely interested in a green car TBH.

CaminoRacer

I've seen 3 SS's in the flesh. All of them have been at an autox event.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on July 05, 2016, 06:46:54 PM
Thought I might have spotted one today, but it turned out to be a 13-15 Malibu.   :tounge:

Haha.  I've actually done a couple of those double takes, excited that I finally get to see one, but I'm always disappointed that its ultimately the Malibu!

68_427

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 05, 2016, 06:04:47 PM
Just back from the dealer. Will definitely be buying one if they can get one by Friday. Aiming for blue, but will settle for black.

The cars in their database are Slipstream Blue, which I think I have seen on TCL at least once. And FWIW I can't seem to post over there anymore. They changed the passwords and whatever e-mail i registered under is no longer in use (by me). Sucks, I had been a member there for almost a decade.

I think they are sorting that out here

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7996434-Can-t-log-into-your-old-account-Please-check-in-here

But you have to make a new account just to post in there I guess...

I think you'll be the first "slipstream" blue there.  The other blue on is the lighter "perfect" blue I THINK.  And this is totally awesome I can't wait to hear your impressions.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

I love these "so I went out for milk and ended up with this" stories :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Char

Good job manning up to a man's car with a man's transmission.

Proud of you son.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

MrH

I hope this car disappoints you so hard and you're desperate to sell in a year or two :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited