An interesting way to have a flat tire.

Started by Byteme, July 06, 2016, 05:25:20 PM

Byteme

I had the five new tires for the e-type mounted and balanced at a local auto dealer about 3 weeks ago.   Yesterday one went flat. No outward evidence of a
puncture. Not knowing if the dealership did flat repairs I went to a local tire shop. I stood there as they dismounted the tire halfway and pulled out the tube. Along with the tube we found a plastic valve cap and a screw in valve stem in the tire. It was pretty obvious the valve stem being pinned between the tire and tube caused the leak.

I dropped by the dealer who installed the tires originally and showed them the cap and stem and told him where we found them.  Without batting an eye the service guy apologized and said they would pick up the cost of the tire repair.

I guess one can think of many morals to this tale but the one that sticks with me is ''What can go wrong will go wrong''. At least in this case the tire decided to go flat in a Steak and Shake parking lot and not at speed on the highway.

shp4man

Byteme

Quote from: shp4man on July 06, 2016, 05:26:49 PM
Minimum wage employees.  :facepalm:

Does quick lane pay their tire guys minimum wage? 

shp4man

Quote from: CLKid on July 06, 2016, 05:33:49 PM
Does quick lane pay their tire guys minimum wage? 

Ya, but minimum wage here in the land of fruits and nuts is currently $10 and hour.

MX793

I've yet to find an automotive tire shop that does satisfactory work.  Between not torquing lugs properly (or at all), not balancing tires properly (or at all), using steel, clip-on wheel weight on aluminum wheels ,and using plugs alone instead of patches for nail/screw holes...  If I had the tools, I'd do all of my tire work myself.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Tube tires!  Get yourself some good tire irons and you can do all your tube changes yourself! :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on July 06, 2016, 05:56:00 PM
I've yet to find an automotive tire shop that does satisfactory work.  Between not torquing lugs properly (or at all), not balancing tires properly (or at all), using steel, clip-on wheel weight on aluminum wheels ,and using plugs alone instead of patches for nail/screw holes...  If I had the tools, I'd do all of my tire work myself.

People always ask me if there's anything I can do about the corrosion that their outside-mounted weights have caused on their aluminum wheels.  Nope, it's fucked.  Sand 'er down!

Tire shop I use uses stick-on weights on the inside. Always always went to them when I had my A4.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on July 06, 2016, 05:56:00 PM

I've had the most miserable experience with a tire shop the past two weeks and have no idea where else I could take it that wouldn't just be the same thing all over again. It's depressing.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: CLKid on July 06, 2016, 05:25:20 PM
I had the five new tires for the e-type mounted and balanced at a local auto dealer about 3 weeks ago.   Yesterday one went flat. No outward evidence of a
puncture. Not knowing if the dealership did flat repairs I went to a local tire shop. I stood there as they dismounted the tire halfway and pulled out the tube. Along with the tube we found a plastic valve cap and a screw in valve stem in the tire. It was pretty obvious the valve stem being pinned between the tire and tube caused the leak.

I dropped by the dealer who installed the tires originally and showed them the cap and stem and told him where we found them.  Without batting an eye the service guy apologized and said they would pick up the cost of the tire repair.

I guess one can think of many morals to this tale but the one that sticks with me is ''What can go wrong will go wrong''. At least in this case the tire decided to go flat in a Steak and Shake parking lot and not at speed on the highway.
Have never heard of this one before. As you say if there's a way for an error to happen, it will.  (I have heard of tubes on wire wheels being punctured by errant spokes poking them through. So when I saw your post I assumed that's what it was going to be.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FlatBlackCaddy

Luckily, I have a friend who has a shop that has a top end tire and wheel machine and balancer. I have him do all my stuff, he balances to zero, uses stick on weights, actually lubes the rim and doesn't touch it(it is a no touch machine afterall, but it's amazing how some people still fuck up lips with a no touch). He also patched a tire on my A6 one time. I stopped by the shop for something, he noticed my front tire was low, I said I just put air in them 2 days ago. Before I could say anything he jacked it up and pulled the wheel to patch it. He actually takes the tire off and does a proper patch from inside.

If not for him, I'd be screwed when it comes to tire work.

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 12, 2016, 12:12:17 PM
Have never heard of this one before. As you say if there's a way for an error to happen, it will.  (I have heard of tubes on wire wheels being punctured by errant spokes poking them through. So when I saw your post I assumed that's what it was going to be.)

I saw a picture once in a trade magazine (way before the internet) of a tire that some Bozo left a pair of pliers in.  Obviously there was an ongoing balance problem which is what prompted the guy to return and complain.  The picture showed a neat negative mold impression of the pliers on the inside of the tire. 

MX793

Quote from: CLKid on July 12, 2016, 05:20:41 PM
I saw a picture once in a trade magazine (way before the internet) of a tire that some Bozo left a pair of pliers in.  Obviously there was an ongoing balance problem which is what prompted the guy to return and complain.  The picture showed a neat negative mold impression of the pliers on the inside of the tire. 

I once pulled half a pair of pliers out of a tire after a vehicle ran them over.  Sprayed the tire down with soapy water and found the leak that appeared to be a chunk of metal stuck in the tire.  Couldn't pull it out with pliers from the outside, so I pulled the tire off the rim to see if I could pull whatever it was out from the inside.  Look into the tire and see the handle from a pair of pliers.  Pulled it out, stuffed a couple plugs in, big section patch, and it was good as new.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Most of the flat tires I've had in the woods have been because of sticks.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on July 12, 2016, 06:12:46 PM
Most of the flat tires I've had in the woods have been because of sticks.

I've yet to get a flat in the woods, but I suspect it'll happen at some point. Probably on a nice pointy rock.  Gotta watch out for the tire poppers.  They're friggin evvvverywhere here in mining territory.

Rupert

Good tires are the key. I get very few flats on AT loaf range E tires.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Man, I don't even know what loaf range my tires are. Pumperknickel?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2016, 08:15:13 PM
Man, I don't even know what loaf range my tires are. Pumperknickel?

That's pretty hardcore.  I didn't know pumpernickel was even streetable.  I find Ciabatta works well in most road conditions.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

I prefer rye loaves to class things up a bit.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

For maximum performance, meat is the best loaf range money can buy.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on July 12, 2016, 08:27:02 PM

Goes like a bat out of hell I hear.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on July 12, 2016, 07:58:43 PM
Good tires are the key. I get very few flats on AT loaf range E tires.

I'll have to keep that in mind when I buy tires very soonish.

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on July 12, 2016, 08:27:02 PM

If you plan of fording any rivers salmon loaf is the way to go.   :devil:

RomanChariot

Quote from: CLKid on July 13, 2016, 08:18:23 AM
If you plan of fording any rivers salmon loaf is the way to go.   :devil:

Great in wet conditions but the handling is a little fishy on dry ground.

Rupert