Definitely Getting a New Car - Timing/Model TBD

Started by SJ_GTI, August 08, 2016, 08:06:58 AM

SJ_GTI

So I did finally decide to get a new car this weekend. In addition to needing replacement wheels there is still an evap issue with the fuel tank/fuel line or something. It seems to only come out when the fuel gets down to 1/4 tank (or less), but it is definitely there. Obvious work around until I do trade it in (or sell it) is to just keep the fuel tank at least half full, which is kind of a PITA. What finally made the decision for me is that on Friday the AC wouldn't come on during my drive home from work. No idea why it does this, but a couple times now it comes on after a delay...like I will have to be driving a minute or two before it would finally kick in. On Friday it finally came on when I got to my driveway (about a 10 minute drive from work). No idea what the issue is and I am sure it can be fixed, but this along with the other issues makes it seem like now (or the near future) is as good a time as any to just go for a new car. And don't get me wrong...I do realize these issues are relatively small and would probably not be that hard for a mechanic to fix (and of course the wheel thing is completely unrelated to the actual car itself)...its just timing really.

That being said I don't think I am going to trade in right away. For me I think these are the cars I am really seriously considering:

2017 Audi S3: I test drove the 2016 model, but 2017 gets a face lift and some potential mechanical upgrades. It also introduces the virtual cockpit to the A3 which I really dig. What I really like about the car is that it drives fantastic, its small and agile, its fast, and it has AWD. The only downside...which is a big one for me...is that there is no 6MT available. This may be a dealbreaker TBH, but since it is just about perfect in every other way I am keeping it in mind. It also helps that when I test drove the 2016 model the dealer was willing to discuss ordering a 2017 as soon as it becomes available in their system (2016 orders were already closed, so probably a month or two away) and was essentially willing to sell the car ~3k below MSRP and offered a solid 2k above normal trade in (ie: CarMax offer) for my S4. The other huge plus for buying this car is the dealer that I went to (and I would order the car from) is the same one I have been taking my S4 to for its service requirements and they have always been super easy to deal with. Its really nice to be given a loaner when you are just having an oil change or other routine services done, and this isn't something that would happen with the choices below.

2016/2017 Chevy SS: I can't get this car off my mind. It is still on stop sale due to a seat belt recall (rumors are it will be September/October before it is resolved). Upsides are obvious: V8 + 6MT. t comes virtually fully loaded which is nice so there is a good chance I would be able to find one I like (apart from the transmission the only options are a sunroof and full size spare, both of which I would want). Worst case scenario I would order one since I am not in a rush. The car does have some downsides of course. Its too big and it doesn't have AWD (albeit RWD with mechanical LSD is not bad at all and perfectly acceptable for winter driving in NJ). It only has a black interior, which isn't ideal but again isn't horrible (I'd prefer grey or something like my S4's "Lunar Silver" which is essentially and "off white" type of color). When this car is 20% off MSRP it is a no brainer, but even is closer to MSRP prices it is still a pretty good deal (considering its performance and features). When I was trying to get one before the stop sale the dealer was asking MSRP less the 20% and the trade in offer was 2k less than the Audi dealer offered (roughly equal to CarMax though, so I still would have traded it in just to keep things simpler for me). Without the 20% off sale I have heard you can still get below MSRP though. GM/Chevy never really incentivized them but since demand wasn't high I would hope to get 2-3k off MSRP. So without the 20% discount this is the most expensive option of the cars I am considering, but not crazy out of the ball park type expensive (would probably be a couple grand more than the S3 out the door, although 2017 pricing isn't available for either car yet).

2016/2017 Volkswagen Golf R: I haven't had a chance to see on in person yet, but for now I am assuming it drives similarly to the S3 I drove. The main upside to this car versus the S3 is that it is available with a manual transmission and, from some cursory car searches (cars.dom and autotrader) it seems like it is not hard at all to find a deal with a manual version. MSRP is obviously way less than an S3 of course, but again googling shows me that dealers are not even considering selling it below MSRP (some people actually paid markups to get it when it first came out but that doesn't seem to be happening any more). If the VW dealer is like Chevy and CarMax, the OTD price of a Golf R for me would not be THAT much less than an S3, ironically. And even that price savings is because of two of the thinks I want on the S3 (virtual cockpit and magnetic shocks) are simply not available on the Golf R. Which brings up the main downside to the Golf R: it is just a cheaper version of the S3 and it is missing magnetic shocks (standard on the Chevy and available as an option on the S3) and the virtual cockpit (which the SS doesn't have either, but then the SS does offset this a bit by having the HUD which is also pretty cool). Neither of those are deal breakers though, and in a vacuum I feel like the advantage of being able to get a 6MT is probably going to outweigh those negatives. I also view the hatchback bodystyle as a slight plus (since for me smaller = better, all else being equal). I do not like the stock Golf R wheels, but since I would be buying a winter wheel/tire set up no matter which car I buy I don't see this as a big deal (I would do something similar to what I did with my S4 and use the stock wheels as winter wheels and buy new wheels for my summer tires). Of the cars included the Golf R is the only one I can buy today. No a huge deal (I am not in a rush), but it is something. Some cursory internet searching doesn't show any likely changes for the 2017 model year. One other downside is that there are no close VW dealers to me. The nearest dealer is about ~40-45 minutes away (and the nearest dealer that currently shows a manual Golf R in stock is well over an hour away). For routine service this shouldn't be a big deal (I would just go to my dad's shop for oil changes and such) but this will be a major hassle for any significant repairs. When I had my GTI, for example, loaners were a never offered (I think they only offer it if they are going to have your car longer than a week). If they were local (like the Chevy dealer) this wouldn't even bother me...but if I have to drive 45 minutes for any significant issue that is a potential problem. Admittedly I never had an issues with my GTI (owned it for only ~4 years though) but it is a risk I'd have to keep in mind. Of course once out of warranty I would go to my dad's shop for just about everything.

So with all that being said I don't see myself buying something right away unless something happens to my S4 or if I have an epiphany and just decide to go with the Golf R. That being said I can't see a scenario where I wouldn't, at a minimum, have ordered a new car by the end of the year. The final answer will happen somewhere in between I think, just not sure when. With all the pluses and minuses of the cars listed I can't even really say which of the above cars is the most likely or least likely to be bought.

MrH

Have you considered a two car approach instead?  I actually thought about getting an S3 at one point, but for the same amount of $, I can have a more practical daily driver and a sports car.  I just had a hard time justifying $50k on a small vehicle.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Tough call.

How long are you planning to keep this thing? If you aren't looking to drive it into the ground I would probably do the Golf R. Virtual cockpit and magnetic shocks are cool, but for me personally I just can't imagine having a daily driver without a 3rd pedal. I'm with you 200% on the size thing as well which makes the SS interesting but ultimately a non-starter.

The VW dealer distance thing is problematic though. I find it to be a hassle to get to my Honda dealer which is like 15-20 minutes away. Doubling that would be a real PITA, especially on a less reliable car like a VW.

I know it's a bit boy-racerish but have you considered the Focus RS? They look OK in subdued colors:

And I imagine you have a Ford dealer nearby. Only downside is they are def less sophisticated/refined than the VWAG products you're looking at, and a potential downside is that your local Ford dealer could be a complete POS (whereas dieselgate has your VW dealer over the barrel). But it's definitely an interesting choice. I've been really warming up to this body style.

Either way best of luck man. And be thankful to be in a position where you can buy a car at your leisure rather than being under the gun. I think you will be mostly happy no matter which way you go. Side note does this new S4 denote the end of the manual transmission from Audi? :(
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on August 08, 2016, 09:03:11 AM
Have you considered a two car approach instead?  I actually thought about getting an S3 at one point, but for the same amount of $, I can have a more practical daily driver and a sports car.  I just had a hard time justifying $50k on a small vehicle.
Eh, big cars kind of suck. I mean I think it's widely accepted that the S3 is better than the current S4. For daily driver duty with no Autobahn access I'm not seeing what an S6 or S8 offer over an S3... S3 will be fast enough and way more fun to drive. I def get where SJ is coming from with that preference.

Plus it looks like he is only buying new, which will make $50K for 2 cars tite like prom nite. A decent Miata is like $30K, and $20K compacts will be a huge step down in refinement from the S4. A $30K Mustang will be a sub V8 poverty spec car. It's a weird situation but I think getting one car will yield a better value. If we were talking used it would be no question- some kind of Cayman S and a luxury SUV. But I can get why he doesn't want to buy used, especially for $50K.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on August 08, 2016, 09:03:11 AM

Not really interesting in a "second" car (technically a third since I have the pickup, but my dad does most of the upkeep/maintenance on it). I have occasionally thought about getting a sports car and keeping my S4 for winter duty, but I think I'd rather have a fun every day car and skip the extra hassle of a second car.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2016, 09:05:04 AM
Tough call.

How long are you planning to keep this thing? If you aren't looking to drive it into the ground I would probably do the Golf R. Virtual cockpit and magnetic shocks are cool, but for me personally I just can't imagine having a daily driver without a 3rd pedal. I'm with you 200% on the size thing as well which makes the SS interesting but ultimately a non-starter.

Depends on how much I like it. Historically I haven't kept my cars very long. I had my A4 for ~3 years, the GTI for ~4 years, and the S4 for ~6 years (so far). If I really like the car I could see myself keeping it for ~6-8 years, but if I am not happy with it I could see myself trading it in after ~3 years.

The VW dealer distance thing is problematic though. I find it to be a hassle to get to my Honda dealer which is like 15-20 minutes away. Doubling that would be a real PITA, especially on a less reliable car like a VW.

FWIW the Audi dealer is also a pretty good distance (~40 minutes) but being able to have a loaner makes things so much easier. My normal routine for service was dropping it off early in the morning, driving the loaner to work, and then taking the loaner back and picking up my car at the end of the day. I can't see any VW dealer doing that type of thing but I am worried warranty repairs might not get me a loaner.

I know it's a bit boy-racerish but have you considered the Focus RS? They look OK in subdued colors:

And I imagine you have a Ford dealer nearby. Only downside is they are def less sophisticated/refined than the VWAG products you're looking at, and a potential downside is that your local Ford dealer could be a complete POS (whereas dieselgate has your VW dealer over the barrel). But it's definitely an interesting choice. I've been really warming up to this body style.

Meh...the (exterior) looks don't bother me, but everything I have read about it says the Ford is a better track performer than the Golf R but the Golf R is a better around town car (more refined/comfortable/etc...). There are plenty of Ford dealers around (one literally right across the street from the large Chevy dealer in my town) but I have also heard that many dealers are asking above MSRP for the RS anyway. I can't imagine any scenario where this car would be better for me.

Either way best of luck man. And be thankful to be in a position where you can buy a car at your leisure rather than being under the gun. I think you will be mostly happy no matter which way you go. Side note does this new S4 denote the end of the manual transmission from Audi? :(

As far as I know the S3 does still come with a 6-speed manual in Europe, they just don't offer it in the US. I guess they are trying to view themselves as more "upmarket" than the Golf R? But yeah as far as I know Audi will not have any cars available with a manual transmission in the US once the S5 goes to the updated A4 chassis/engine.

Byteme

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 08, 2016, 08:06:58 AM
So I did finally decide to get a new car this weekend. In addition to needing replacement wheels there is still an evap issue with the fuel tank/fuel line or something. That being said I don't think I am going to trade in right away. For me I think these are the cars I am really seriously considering:

Good that you are not going to trade in right away.  That way you avoid the impulse driven by a maintenance issue.

That said, I'd suggest you consider adding the Jaguar XE to your list. 

12,000 RPM

XE looks good but no stickshift with the 6 pot :(

GoCougs

2017 S3 is supposed to get 10-20 more hp, 7sp DSG and the virtual dash board. This is contender for me now. As stated I loved the Golf R but I carry some expensive stuff for work so having a separate trunk sorta matters.

The Golf R felt sluggish with the manual, which is typical with turbo cars. It's a far more responsive drive with the DSG. My VW dealer is a bit dumpy and they don't automatically give service loaners. As snobbish as it sounds I've been spoiled by my Infiniti dealer - good service experience, including a no-hassle service loaner, makes a difference (make no mistake though they definitely charge for it).

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2016, 02:33:42 PM
2017 S3 is supposed to get 10-20 more hp, 7sp DSG and the virtual dash board. This is contender for me now. As stated I loved the Golf R but I carry some expensive stuff for work so having a separate trunk sorta matters.

The Golf R felt sluggish with the manual, which is typical with turbo cars. It's a far more responsive drive with the DSG. My VW dealer is a bit dumpy and they don't automatically give service loaners. As snobbish as it sounds I've been spoiled by my Infiniti dealer - good service experience, including a no-hassle service loaner, makes a difference (make no mistake though they definitely charge for it).

What's the new feature pushing you over the edge?  I feel like those are all relatively minor enhancements.  I thought it was still a 6 speed DSG too?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

I'd definitely go with the SS, if not for the fact that it's the last of its kind. You're not going to get another V8, manual transmission RWD luxury sedan again, at least for the foreseeable future, and GM is shutting Holden down  next year anyways so it'd be cool to own the last of the lineup.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

mzziaz

I second checking out the XE.

Maybe the 4 banger will be adequate? Optional AWD, too.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

I'd try the new c class too. I'd pick it over a 3er, I think.
Cuore Sportivo

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on August 08, 2016, 02:35:58 PM
What's the new feature pushing you over the edge?  I feel like those are all relatively minor enhancements.  I thought it was still a 6 speed DSG too?

The fancier dealer experience, the trunk, a bit more performance (the new DSG is also supposed to be more responsive), magnetic ride, a bit more noise insulation/refinement, and no goofy dealer supply/markup shenanigans - all for just ~10% more cost than a Golf R.

The 2017 S3 definitely has a 7 speed DSG. Watch this guy run through the gears: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZ9hxdkXwU

68_427

SS for sure.  2017 will be the last of the V8 manual sedans for the foreseeable future, and if G8 GXP resales are anything to consider the SS might to very well.  There will always be small turbo 4 cars with dsg gearboxes but the SS might be your last chance for something different.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Of your choices, probably SS. But I feel your current car is better than all 3 options.

You really should test a proper RWD M Sport 3er.

I know you don't like the Focus but it's likely superior to both the Golf and the S3.

The X1 just ran away with the latest C&D comparo in its segment. By a lot. Maybe drive that too.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Yea I agree it's too early to cut the RWD 340i off the list

It basically splits the difference between the S3 and SS

SJ_GTI

Meh, I drove a 335xi (with M sport package) and while it was a nice enough car, I liked the S3 better. Its smaller, lighter, and more agile. I actually like my S4 better than the 335xi. Is a 340xi faster?
Yeah maybe, but that is like a tiny portion of the interest for me. Its not like the S4 (or S3) are slow cars.

And splitting the difference between the SS and S3 is my current car.  :lol: And to be clear the only reason the SS is even in consideration is because of the V8. Being RWD is a downside, not an upside, to a 340i relative to the S3.

68_427

The xdrive cars don't get the full m sport pack.  The literally just get the styling tweaks
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on August 09, 2016, 11:43:28 AM
The xdrive cars don't get the full m sport pack.  The literally just get the styling tweaks

Ok, but then I am losing AWD in order to "maybe" get a car that drives as well as my own?  :huh:

I test drove a few BMW's and yeah they weren't ideally spec'd, but I can only test what the dealer has. I am certainly not going to go an special order a car on the notion that it should be better than the one I test drove because of a special package.

Realistically the 3-series is a car that is about the same size as my own with about the same amount of power. The 3 cars I am considering all have something my car cannot match:

S3: Smaller and more fun to drive, only downside is no manual. Literally everything else about this car is better for me. Now admittedly that one downside is a biggie and may be a deal breaker, but it simply more fun to drive than my car and I liked it better than the 3 BMW's I was able to test drive.
SS: V8! This is a car that offers something no other car can, and it may be the last of its kind. Its too big and not AWD, but getting the V8...I think I am at the point where, if I don't go with either of the other cars, this is a car I would take. And yeah I would take the Chevy SS over a 30series any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  :lol:
VW GTI: Can't say much yet because I haven't driven it (or even sat in it). Conceptually it ticks all the boxes though and if it drives as well as the S3 its hard to turn it down. I would miss the magnetic shocks and the virtual cockpit, but being able to get a 6MT seems like it would be worth the trade off if all else is equal. But until (unless?) I can test drive one I won't know for sure. Hopefully I'll get out and find one this month because I'll be busier come the fall (Saturdays = College Football  :lol: ).

I drove the 2-series. Admittedly it wasn't the ideal spec (but again it was all they had), but the strikes against it aren't necessarily going to go away with a bigger engine. I would also add that many a review said the 228i was the "most BMW like" version of the 2-series.

MexicoCityM3

Merc C43 AMG? You thought the S3 was fun to drive, you'll probably love the Merc then. It's 4WD and looks lovely to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 09, 2016, 03:18:24 PM
Merc C43 AMG? You thought the S3 was fun to drive, you'll probably love the Merc then. It's 4WD and looks lovely to me.

Bit old, isn't it?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 09, 2016, 03:24:12 PM
Bit old, isn't it?

The C450AMG has been renamed to C43 AMG for the 2017 model year. I've seen it (as C450) at Merc dealers here. I really like it.

I think that would be an improvement from his S4.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 09, 2016, 03:28:22 PM
The C450AMG has been renamed to C43 AMG for the 2017 model year. I've seen it (as C450) at Merc dealers here. I really like it.

I think that would be an improvement from his S4.

I would honestly doubt that any Mercedes within his budget is an improvement from his S4.  I was impressed by my mother's CLS550, but other than that, Benzes seem to be overpriced and no longer good looking.  The C and E look kind of dumpy now.  CLS looks like the only car they have worth buying now. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

I have to be honest, the thought of buying a MB has never even crossed my mind.

But you got me curious so I "built" a C450 AMG (I don't see any C43 listed) on their website and it was over 60k. Not remotely in the price range I am looking at...and I don't really see how this is an improvement over what I am looking for. I lose a manual transmission and I stay in a car that is larger and heavier than the S3. How is this an improvement again?

For me the advantage of the S3 over the S4 is all about being smaller and lighter. I don't think a car that is bigger, heavier, and 10k more expensive is really much of an improvement.  :lol:

Now poking around their website, the CLA45 AMG seems closer to what I would buy, but it is still much more expensive than the S3 (really not much cheaper than the C450 AMG) and is a good ~8 inches longer (really not much smaller than my S4). It does seem to weight about the same as an S3 though (a little heavier, but nothing crazy).

12,000 RPM

CLAs are complete crap. "Flee, flee for your life!" You'd be better off getting one of the mainstream brand hot hatches.

I wish the S3 came with a stickshift here for you. Maybe you can do a German delivery of one from there?

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CALL_911

Quote from: 68_427 on August 09, 2016, 11:43:28 AM

Yea, I wouldn't dismiss a RWD 340i

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Again, I highly recommend that you folks drive a Golf R with a manual. I found it quite quite sluggish - not so much turbo lag it's as if the throttle mapping was way soft.

SJ_GTI

Meh, I'm sure I'll enjoy whichever car I buy. Mainly I want to get the car most suited to my taste because I want to keep it as long as I have kept my S4 and be as satisfied. While I liked the GTI I ended up wa ting to modify it right off the bat (new springs, struts, and rear sway bar) and even then I was looking around after a year (just couldn't get to enjoy FWD).

Any car I buy is going to be a compromise in some way, just want to make the best choice to keep me satisfied as long as possible.  :lol: