Variable compression ratio 2.0T in next QX50!!!!

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 15, 2016, 01:29:37 PM

12,000 RPM

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/14/infiniti-vc-t-engine-variable-compression-official/

QuoteInstead of having the pistons connected to the crankshaft, Infiniti's engine has a pivot arm with a connection on each end. One end connects to the piston, the other connects to a second lower shaft, which is controlled by an actuator arm. At any given time the engine's pistons move up and down according to the lobes on the crankshaft. But the actuator arm can change the angle of the pivot arm up and down. That is, the pistons still move in the same motion with the same stroke, but phase the entire stroke up or down. Move the pivot up and there's less room at the top, which means a higher compression ratio. Move the pivot down and the compression ratio goes down, too. As an added bonus, the lower shaft eliminates the need for counter-rotating balance shafts.

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20130327302

I still have problems visualizing Nissan's VVL but it looks like this applies the same concept to the crankshaft.

On one hand my inner geek is  :pullover: :pullover: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :wub: :wub:

On the other hand I'm highly skeptical that this will be as
- cheap
- reliable
- practically effective (i.e. beyond a test lab) in fuel economy and emissions

as a simple hybrid setup. Lubrication? How tall is this engine block going to be? Who's gonna take a gamble on these things out of warranty? I think this speaks more to the strides metallurgy has made for such a complex system to be able to withstand the rigors normally relegated to a crankshaft... but it's hardly an elegant solution.

Still though we will at least see how effective variable compression can be in the real world.... hopefully one day they figure out how to make it simpler
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Pretty cool stuff.  I'm excited for it too.

I'd be curious what the response time is.  How fast can it go from 8 to 14 CR? etc

Makes a whole lot more sense than what Saab tried doing for variable compression ratios.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I need to see an animation of it... though an animation didn't help me grasp their VVL system :facepalm:

Another thing that could be problematic is max rev speed... though that's largely irrelevant with these dieselesque 2.0Ts. So many questions....

MX793

Don't we already have a thread for this?

And, yes, it looks a lot like the workings of Nissan's VVL system.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 15, 2016, 01:59:21 PM
I need to see an animation of it... though an animation didn't help me grasp their VVL system :facepalm:

Another thing that could be problematic is max rev speed... though that's largely irrelevant with these dieselesque 2.0Ts. So many questions....

It's goofy.  There's a video out there showing it.  Once you see it, you'll get it.  It's simpler than I thought it would be.  I just don't know how they're going to seal it off.  Are the actuators and linkages all sitting inside the crank case in oil?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

MrH

Well, it works on the same principle.  But it's not a cylinder running parallel to the combustion chamber like that.  It sits like below and to the side of the crankshaft and uses a magnetic actuator I think.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

OK, I saw another animation of it. Someone made an animation of this exact setup 2 years ago :mask: Pretty simple, kind of brilliant. But I think the whole thing could be a little more space efficient... instead of having the control linkage come up, they could have it come down and hinge under the intake manifold or something. This thing is gonna need like 8 quarts of oil though. Now that I see it it's pretty elegant and simple; we will see how well it works. I figure since the linkages don't have much load they won't need a ton of lubrication actually.

shp4man

Usually this kind of stuff doesn't turn out well, but who knows.  :huh:

Customer: My car's engine is making noise.
Mechanic: Let's have a look.

Mechanic: Well sir, looks like something came apart inside the motor and damaged other parts. Needs a new motor.
Customer: At 60,000 miles? Ok, how much?   
Mechanic: Uhhhh....$9000...

Customer: OMFG! #$&^*$#!!!!

:lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on August 15, 2016, 03:38:37 PM
Usually this kind of stuff doesn't turn out well, but who knows.  :huh:

This is based on technology that has worked for decades. When has "stuff like this" not turned out well?

shp4man

Would the benefits of this outweigh the added mechanical complication? It's like electronically operated valves. 

Laconian

I wonder how quickly the system can change its compression ratio. MultiAir spooks me a lot more, that system must be fluttering all over the place.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on August 15, 2016, 04:03:35 PM
Would the benefits of this outweigh the added mechanical complication? It's like electronically operated valves. 

The only benefits are for off-boost driving, which is for pussies
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

It wouldn't need to react especially quickly.  Just faster than the turbo can spool to stay ahead of the boost curve.  Also, the mechanism wouldn't have to move very far to swing the CR.  My biggest concern would be what would happen if the system failed while in the high CR setting.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on August 15, 2016, 05:15:31 PM
It wouldn't need to react especially quickly.  Just faster than the turbo can spool to stay ahead of the boost curve.  Also, the mechanism wouldn't have to move very far to swing the CR.  My biggest concern would be what would happen if the system failed while in the high CR setting.

Aren't wastegates controlled electronically? Just dump the b00st
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on August 15, 2016, 05:15:31 PM
Yea the mechanism looks like it can respond as fast as a throttle. It should be fine in that regard. There are a shitload of failure modes that aren't present in a regular motor though. Maybe Nissan's VVEL was a stress analysis study for this.