My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

veeman

Quote from: Lebowski on September 02, 2016, 01:38:19 PM
If there's room for a spare without giving up any storage space, what's the point of not including a spare?

They know that people who are looking to buy this car in the U.S. won't be dissuaded because of lack of a spare.  So why not save $40.  VW needs to get all the money they can get right now.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 02, 2016, 01:48:25 PM
I'm still waiting for an answer to that question about the center console.

I was told because the Golf R's parking brake is electronic, the regulations for the center console are different.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on September 02, 2016, 01:51:28 PM
They know that people who are looking to buy this car in the U.S. won't be dissuaded because of lack of a spare.  So why not save $40.  VW needs to get all the money they can get right now.
Plus they can make even more money from intrepid folks who do the Euro conversion
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 02, 2016, 02:28:33 PM
Plus they can make even more money from intrepid folks who do the Euro conversion

check out my EDM-tyte spare tire, yo!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 02, 2016, 02:29:34 PM
check out my EDM-tyte spare tire, yo!

It seems like it would be expensive to make a spare tire with Electrical Discharge Machining. Much better quality than a 3D printed spare though.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Char

Quote from: MX793 on September 02, 2016, 12:43:30 PM
And what does True car say for a Golf R?  I got 38.6k for one spec'ed like OP's (which has more "must have goodies than a basic 340 m sport) and 35.3k for a comparable, lowest point of entry model.  You're still talking at least $10k or ~25% more money.

I didn't say it was cheaper - it's a better car with a working center console, it should cost more.

SOFT!
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Char on September 02, 2016, 04:59:33 PM
I didn't say it was cheaper - it's a better car with a working center console, it should cost more.

SOFT!

LOL

SJ_GTI

Put the spare tire and stuff in this morning. Went reasonably well...trim was a bit harder to remove than the piece from the center console fix.

And just to clarify from above, everything fits in existing space with no reduction in cargo capacity. Here is before I started this morning:

First I remove the cargo net and floor:

Then remove the subwoofer and box (which BTW is conveniently designed to fit inside the spare wheel as you will see later):

Closeup of the existing trim after subwoofer removal:

Remove the existing trim piece (happily no clips were broken during removal so i can theoretically put it back to stock if need be):

Side by side comparison of the two trim pieces:

Picture of the pieces to be installed all laid out (including putting all the tools in to the foam holder...I did test out the jack FWIW and it works fine):

Installed the new trim and the foam first:

Close up of the new foam and trim before putting in the spare:

Drop in the spare and reconnect the subwoofer:

Put the hatch floor back in:

And everything is back to normal...no sign of any changes:

Regarding the comments above...yes its dumb that it doesn't just come like this from the factory. I knew about it though. I mentioned it as an issue in the thread when I first test drove the car, but after some cursory research fixing both the center console and spare tire issues were relatively cheap and required little effort. I will say one bonus is that I now have both a spare tire as well as the "fix a flat" tools (which do come with the car in North America), so I am prepared even if more than one wheel goes flat.  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

That's really cool of you, and lame of them....
Will

CaminoRacer

Did you have to install the engine yourself too?

mzziaz

So, where are you going to put the illegal drugs, the next time you return from Mexico?
Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

I think VW is onto something with this some assembly required stuff. Let's the owners be more involved, you know?

Like a beginner form of kit car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

IT's not a beginner kit car, it's enabling enthusiasts of discerning taste to hand craft and curate their build individually.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 05, 2016, 05:26:13 PM
IT's not a beginner kit car, it's enabling enthusiasts of discerning taste to hand craft and curate their build individually.

Oh, You write copy for catalogs in your spare time too, huh? If not you should.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I am a blipster, this kind of nonsense works on me.

Rupert

"Curate" LOL :lol: Sign of a hipster.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Signal your individuality.

Demonstrate your taste.

Dare to be... you.

The 2017 Volkswagen Golf R.

Char

He bought the kit, so he could remove it again. Now he can put "Spare tire/Kit removed" in the mods list.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: Char on September 08, 2016, 07:40:55 AM
He bought the kit, so he could remove it again. Now he can put "Spare tire/Kit removed" in the mods list.

Nah. "Stage 1 Weight Reduction"

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 16, 2016, 10:59:21 AM
Nah. "Stage 1 Weight Reduction"

"Stage __" parts are one of my biggest pet peeves in the aftermarket industry. So F&F wannabe racer. But it sells.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 16, 2016, 11:48:27 AM
"Stage __" parts are one of my biggest pet peeves in the aftermarket industry. So F&F wannabe racer. But it sells.

It's also from the Gran Tourismo games.

SJ_GTI

Some random updates.

Gas mileage has been inconsistent...but maybe that is just my driving. I have had a tank as low as 19.5 MPG and as high as 23.5 MPG. My last tank (filled up yesterday) was 22.1 MPG. I only have about 1700 miles on it so only have a few fillups (usually about ~250 miles between each). The car says my overall average is 21.8 MPG, which seems reasonable.

I cannot master the clutch, still clunky going 0-1 and 1-2 unless I am really taking my time and being careful. Not sure if it is me or just the nature of the car. I have never been an expert shifter but have always gotten used to whatever car I drive after a trip or two. I simply cannot do quick shifts smoothly. I am not racing the car for the most part but it sucks when I do need to take off in a hurry and I can't do it without jerking the whole car.

On the bright side the faux AWD works really well. I have never felt any wheel spin and the car reacts much better when accelerating around turns (rather than just breaking in to a turn and coasting through). I am really happy I ended up with a small hatchback...I didn't realize how much I missed driving a small car. I thought I would regret not getting the Chevy SS but really I cannot see myself getting a car that big not that I am back in a small car. I cannot even see myself buying a car in  the 3-series/A4 range again.

I have purchased snow tires (Pirelli sottozero's, same that I had on my S4). I got 235/35R19's and will have my dad's shop put those tires on my stock wheels. I plan to buy another set of wheels between now and March to put my summer tires on. Haven't figure out exactly what wheel I am going to get, but most likely end up with some wheel that doesn't require any adapters or anything (Nuespeed, VMR, or something along those lines).

12,000 RPM

Glad you are enjoying the smaller car, I knew you would

giant_mtb

Your car shouldn't break in turns.  It shouldn't break at all. 

MX793

If you're accelerating through the turn, your entry speed was too low :devil:
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 07, 2016, 11:30:38 AM
If you're accelerating through the turn, your entry speed was too low :devil:

:hesaid:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SJ_GTI

True, accelerating was the wrong word, really just meant applying the throttle. With the Golf R's faux AWD it still feels like applying throttle helps the car rotate through a turn vs with a pure FWD car applying throttle through a turn gives a feeling of plowing right in to a corner.