My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

Tave

Your issues with the clutch related at all to the incline-assist feature? That thing really pissed me off but I eventually got used to it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

If you go way back to the test drive thread the first thing I noticed on this car was the rEdiculously light clutch. Now I know why it was so light! So no pictures, but this weekend I removed a spring that is attached to the clutch. The tension from the spring pulls the clutch toward the firewall to reduce the effort.

I have only driven the car about ~50 miles since removing the spring but it immediately felt smoother and more natural. While the clutch is now "heavier" I would still say its lighter than the clutch on my S4 though. Kind of crazy IMHO that they thought they needed to make it even lighter and that the best way to do that was to just attach a stupid spring to the clutch.

All that being said, I still am not getting smooth enough with the clutch for some reason. I assume it is something about the way I drive because I am not seeing any complaints about the clutch on line anywhere. I am hoping that with the spring removed I will get used to the new feel and hopefully I go back to feeling "normal" with a manual transmission.

TBH if for some reason I cannot get smooth with the clutch I am not sure what the next step is. I do not want to just keep driving like this (just too irritating), but I am also not sure if there is a "perfect" car out there for me. While I am not happy with the clutch (or the infotainment system), overall the Golf R has far exceeded my expectations. I think I would have a hard time going back to a sedan (or a coupe), but there are very few options in this market (4 doors + hatch + AWD + manual transmission). Pretty much just the Golf R and the Focus RS as far as I can tell. And based on what I am going through with this clutch there is no way I am buying a car without test driving it first WITH A MANUAL.

Rich

I'm assuming it has a dual mass flywheel. Couple that with lightweight of the car (heavier cars mask abrupt engagements), and a small displacement forced induction engine (non linear torque curve making throttle/clutch hard to synronize) and it'll be finnicky.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

The clutch assist spring mod is pretty popular with the Mustang GT crowd.  Lots of complaints about lack of clutch feel with the spring in place.

Does the R have enough grunt to start in 2nd without abusing the clutch?  I've found that the 1-2 shift in the Mustang can be a bit jerky unless I'm really slow and deliberate about it, so I've taken to just taking off in 2nd gear unless I'm on a steep incline.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on November 21, 2016, 06:59:24 AM
The clutch assist spring mod is pretty popular with the Mustang GT crowd.  Lots of complaints about lack of clutch feel with the spring in place.

Does the R have enough grunt to start in 2nd without abusing the clutch?  I've found that the 1-2 shift in the Mustang can be a bit jerky unless I'm really slow and deliberate about it, so I've taken to just taking off in 2nd gear unless I'm on a steep incline.

Nope, definitely need first gear. I would occasionally just start in 2nd gear in my S4 so I know what you mean though.

I think the 1-2 shift is always the hardest to get smooth consistently but this has been the toughest car for me personally. I think Rich might be right that it is a combination of many factors. I am just going to keep at it for now and hope I get better/smoother over time I think. Might just be that I am getting older and so I am just not adapting to new things as well as I used to.  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Man that would be a rough thing to eat that loss over.... I would definitely give it time

Shifter/clutch were the things I hated most about the Z. If I get a G37 I will probably go auto for that alone. Few things piss me off like crappy shifter/clutch action
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

When it doubt, shift faster :lol:  If you're not chirping in 2nd, you're moving too slow.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 21, 2016, 07:44:30 AM
Man that would be a rough thing to eat that loss over.... I would definitely give it time

Shifter/clutch were the things I hated most about the Z. If I get a G37 I will probably go auto for that alone. Few things piss me off like crappy shifter/clutch action

Yeah I am not talking imminently making a decision, but if by next spring/summer things haven't worked themselves out I would probably start looking around again. I don't really want to though, so hoping that removing this spring makes things smoother.

MrH

S3 DSG, and call it a day.  You're too old to drive stick anymore, just admit defeat.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on November 21, 2016, 08:03:28 AM
S3 DSG, and call it a day.  You're too old to drive stick anymore, just admit defeat.

:evildude:

SJ_GTI

FWIW, owning the Golf R has made the notion of an S3 kind of pointless to me. Like I said other than this issue with the clutch the Golf has exceeded my expectations...apples to apples I would take a Golf R over an S3 at this point.

The only Audi that will be sold with a stickshift next year is the Audi A4. I would have a concern about buying that sight unseen though (Audi made a big stink about it being all new so I am fairly confident it isn't the same unit that was in my S4)...it could have the same issue as my Golf R.  :huh: And anyway the A4 is so big now that if I was going to go that direction again (which I am about 99% sure I am not...I think I am sticking with small cars from here on out) I would be better off just getting a Chevy SS.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 21, 2016, 08:14:59 AM
FWIW, owning the Golf R has made the notion of an S3 kind of pointless to me. Like I said other than this issue with the clutch the Golf has exceeded my expectations...apples to apples I would take a Golf R over an S3 at this point.

The only Audi that will be sold with a stickshift next year is the Audi A4. I would have a concern about buying that sight unseen though (Audi made a big stink about it being all new so I am fairly confident it isn't the same unit that was in my S4)...it could have the same issue as my Golf R.  :huh: And anyway the A4 is so big now that if I was going to go that direction again (which I am about 99% sure I am not...I think I am sticking with small cars from here on out) I would be better off just getting a Chevy SS.

I should get to drive an SS in the next 2 months or so.  I'll let you know how easy the clutch is to use and how much faster it is than a Golf R :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Yeah VW's clutches are definitely on the lighter side--felt like I was going stomp mine through the floorboard the first week or so I had it.

I don't mind the weight so much as the length; it sits 1-2" higher than the brake pedal and the engagement point is relatively early so that the last half of travel is just useless.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Tave on November 21, 2016, 09:51:35 AM
I don't mind the weight so much as the length; it sits 1-2" higher than the brake pedal and the engagement point is relatively early so that the last half of travel is just useless.

That's common in a lot of cars. I don't know why.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Had my snow tires put on last week (black Friday). Since I wasn't working that day I stopped by my dad's shop and mounted the snow tires on my stock wheels. Plan is to keep the snow tires on the stock wheels and buy new wheels for summer tires.

Also got the first oil change done. It wasn't due but since I was going to be there anyway and had the time I had them go ahead and do it. I think removing the summer tires and mounting the winter tires was actually more effort.  :lol:

Clutch is still finnicky, but feels smoother and more natural without the spring assist.

12,000 RPM

Ooooo new wheel time. What are you thinking? I feel like you made the decision already.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 01, 2016, 10:34:00 AM
Ooooo new wheel time. What are you thinking? I feel like you made the decision already.

No decision, but I am leaning toward VMR or Nuespeed wheels since they are factory fit right out of the box (no need for spacers or centering rings or anything like that). I like the way BBS wheels look and they have a good rep obviously but you need extra accessories to make them fit.

Here is an example of a Nuespeed wheel I like:

19x8 (same as stock), 45 offset (stock is 50), 20.5 lbs. Center bore is same as stock.

VMR makes a similar style:

or

Closest available size is 19x8.5 (stock is 19x8), 45 offset (50 is stock). Center bore available in stock size as well (57.1 FWIW).

Gotta-Qik-C7

I like the first set of VMRs....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

I love that style of wheel, but it's...everywhere.  like each brand has 72 different models of 7 split-spoke wheels.

12,000 RPM

Yea I was thinking the same

I would even think about getting a set of Audi 19s. Offset should be the same

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 01, 2016, 05:58:55 PM
Yea I was thinking the same

I would even think about getting a set of Audi 19s. Offset should be the same

Wheels from the Audi S3 are the same, but A4/S4 and up use a different size center bore. I think offsets are slightly different across the board. I would have had to use a hubcentric ring to adapt my S4 wheels to the Golf R and the lower offset combined with the wider wheel would have made it a tight fit...but it would have been close.

I am hoping to stay as close to stock as possible. I like the way the car drives so I don't want to mess with it too much.

SJ_GTI

These are the S3 wheels that would be a pretty direct swap to my car:

I dig the second one, but I am hoping to stay with a silver wheel. Most of the Golf R's accents are silver.

12,000 RPM

Dark gray wheels are my favorite so I am biased. I would just paint/buy dark gray accents. I like those S3 wheels a lot more

GoCougs

Now that you've had this for a while how does the overall Golf R driving experience - not just performance but ride, NHV, ergonomics, steering/brake/shifter feel, usable interior space - compare to the S4?

I just found out the 340i Xdrive's auto rev match feature is automatically enabled and can't be disabled if but in Sport+ (= ESC almost all the way off) so that's out. That leaves the Golf R or B8 S4 as the only M/T AWD 4-door options.

I loved both cars but obviously wasn't able to drive them for any serious length of time. I actually tend toward the Golf R but I'm worried about space as I carry people and their stuff and my night vision has decreased and I'm concerned about the Golf R HIDs not cutting it (IIHS rates then as poor).

MX793

Just an FYI, IIHS rates practically every vehicle's headlights as poor.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Have you used the auto rev-match on that car?  Most every auto journalist actually uses it and doesn't complain about it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Yes, I've seen the IIHS report on headlights. Maybe my night vision isn't decreasing - I'm not sure - and all headlights do indeed suck. I don't remember that when younger though. At least part of it is the switch to black asphalt and the switch to cooler headlight color. However, I had a QX50 as a loaner and that had fantastic headlights.

No, I haven't tried the 340i auto rev match feature. I HATE that these new cars default to some setting upon power-off. I'd be okay with it if the car could be set such that it retained the various steering/suspension/tranny/throttle/etc. settings after each time it was turned off. It seems simple enough but it drives me nuts.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2016, 08:52:12 PM
Now that you've had this for a while how does the overall Golf R driving experience - not just performance but ride, NHV, ergonomics, steering/brake/shifter feel, usable interior space - compare to the S4?

I just found out the 340i Xdrive's auto rev match feature is automatically enabled and can't be disabled if but in Sport+ (= ESC almost all the way off) so that's out. That leaves the Golf R or B8 S4 as the only M/T AWD 4-door options.

I loved both cars but obviously wasn't able to drive them for any serious length of time. I actually tend toward the Golf R but I'm worried about space as I carry people and their stuff and my night vision has decreased and I'm concerned about the Golf R HIDs not cutting it (IIHS rates then as poor).

Overall I like the Golf R more than my S4, but TBH it is mostly because I like smaller cars.

That being said the Golf R is a comfortable car. Its a daily driver not a track car. Even in "Race" mode it is still reasonably compliant (although the soundaktor in race mode is way too loud IMHO) and in comfort mode it makes a good highway cruiser.

As noted above the clutch is kind of finicky (at least for me). I feel like the S4's clutch was smoother...but maybe that was just because the engine itself was smoother, who knows.

Interior space on the Golf R is nice. The back seat feels like it is about the same size as my S4's. With the back seats up the S4 had more trunk space, but with the back seats folded down the hatchback is sooooo nice. I have taken advantage of it several times already.

I am pretty happy with the car overall. At this point I think the only thing that could make me have regrets is if it has reliability issues...but so far so good.

SJ_GTI

Oh about the headlights...Golf R headlights are definitely brighter than my S4's headlights were. They have a noticeably blue tint though...which I still find kind of odd occasionally. Note that the Golf R does not have driving/fog lights like the S4 had, but IMHO the ones on the S4 never made much of a difference in the fog anyway.

A new S4 might be better than the Golf R though, particularly if you get the LED lights.

GoCougs

Thanks, man. Confirms my initial impressions. FWIW it's easy to unplug the soundaktor if you're interested - see YouTube bids - something I'd probably do.

I'll wait till the new S4 hits the lots but initial reviews say it's good but not great (esp. that no M/T is offered). I read one review that said that it didn't have much on the A4. Faster, sure, but the A4's DSG was preferred.