My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on December 12, 2016, 09:25:40 AM
Thanks, man. Confirms my initial impressions. FWIW it's easy to unplug the soundaktor if you're interested - see YouTube bids - something I'd probably do.

I'll wait till the new S4 hits the lots but initial reviews say it's good but not great (esp. that no M/T is offered). I read one review that said that it didn't have much on the A4. Faster, sure, but the A4's DSG was preferred.

What about the new A4 with a manual?  Is that too slow?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on December 12, 2016, 10:42:42 AM
What about the new A4 with a manual?  Is that too slow?
I can't see how; auto version is every bit as fast as the G. A 13 second sedan that "only" makes 252 HP and gets 31 MPG on the highway :confused:

I feel like the Golf R would be way more fun to drive though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on December 12, 2016, 09:25:40 AM
Thanks, man. Confirms my initial impressions. FWIW it's easy to unplug the soundaktor if you're interested - see YouTube bids - something I'd probably do.

I'll wait till the new S4 hits the lots but initial reviews say it's good but not great (esp. that no M/T is offered). I read one review that said that it didn't have much on the A4. Faster, sure, but the A4's DSG was preferred.

My dad just got a brand new A4. The DCT is amazing. I didn't think downshifts that quick and smooth were possible.

That said, the S4's transmission has been pretty well reviewed from what I've seen, despite being a traditional torque converter style.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 12, 2016, 12:31:00 PM
My dad just got a brand new A4. The DCT is amazing. I didn't think downshifts that quick and smooth were possible.

That said, the S4's transmission has been pretty well reviewed from what I've seen, despite being a traditional torque converter style.

How does he like the whole virtual cockpit?  That's the biggest reason to get an Audi these days.  The LCD gauges and interior are awesome.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

The new A4 is not offered with a manual that I can see from Audi's build website.

The new A4 punches above its weight because of the DSG, particularly launch control. In every day driving such as from a roll or not using LC the G or the rest of the V6 poser class will walk it.

The best of what I see about the B9 S4 slushie is "almost can't tell it's a slushie." Thing is with the new S4 Audi seems to have made it a A4+ and why reviews have been sorta lackluster. The B8 S4 offered a significant experience differentiation over the B8 A4.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on December 12, 2016, 01:41:01 PM
The new A4 is not offered with a manual that I can see from Audi's build website.

The new A4 punches above its weight because of the DSG, particularly launch control. In every day driving such as from a roll or not using LC the G or the rest of the V6 poser class will walk it.

The best of what I see about the B9 S4 slushie is "almost can't tell it's a slushie." Thing is with the new S4 Audi seems to have made it a A4+ and why reviews have been sorta lackluster. The B8 S4 offered a significant experience differentiation over the B8 A4.

It's not on the build page yet, but it's coming.  They have a press release out there talking about it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Oh, interesting, that is notable.

12,000 RPM

I'm a bit surprised you are going with a turbo motor.... why the change? Also what about the Q50 3.0T?

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 12, 2016, 02:00:26 PM
I'm a bit surprised you are going with a turbo motor.... why the change? Also what about the Q50 3.0T?
Surprising pleased with the 2.0T (EcoBoost) motor in the Discovery Sport.  Excellent throttle response and delightful surge at 25k and beyond.  It's coupled with a 9 speed ZF transmission which complements it quite nicely.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

IMHO I would take a 3-series or ATS over an A4.

That being said if you are accepting an automatic I would take an S3 over all the above.

SJ_GTI

Would Gougs consider the new Alfa Romeo? Also automatic only unfortunately, but available with AWD and supposedly the chassis is very good.

GoCougs

The Q50 is not a very good car and its slushie AT is awful, and these days pretty much all motors that aren't ancient (Lexus 3.5L) are forced induction.

GoCougs

At present the only automaker I'll seriously consider that isn't Japanese is VWAG.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on December 12, 2016, 02:18:47 PM
At present the only automaker I'll seriously consider that isn't Japanese is VWAG.

I think I just heard Char's head explode.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on December 12, 2016, 01:41:01 PM
Thing is with the new S4 Audi seems to have made it a A4+ and why reviews have been sorta lackluster. The B8 S4 offered a significant experience differentiation over the B8 A4.

Part of that might be that they offer two versions of the 2.0T on the A4 now. So there'd be more of a difference between the base A4 (190HP) and the S4 than the old version, but less of a difference between the upgraded A4 (252HP) and the S4.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 12, 2016, 02:05:19 PM
Surprising pleased with the 2.0T (EcoBoost) motor in the Discovery Sport.  Excellent throttle response and delightful surge at 25k and beyond.  It's coupled with a 9 speed ZF transmission which complements it quite nicely.

Unless your Disco is used, it's got the Ingenium engine.  They stopped using Ford motors after the 2015MY.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on December 12, 2016, 01:02:16 PM
How does he like the whole virtual cockpit?  That's the biggest reason to get an Audi these days.  The LCD gauges and interior are awesome.

Last time I talked to him he hadn't quite figured out how to configure it the way he wants to. In general, he thinks it's kinda cool, but certainly didn't buy the car just for that reason.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 12, 2016, 02:06:56 PM
Would Gougs consider the new Alfa Romeo? Also automatic only unfortunately, but available with AWD and supposedly the chassis is very good.
That is a high risk proposition

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 12, 2016, 02:06:04 PM

That being said if you are accepting an automatic I would take an S3 over all the above.

3-series and ATS are out - reliability for both and and poor drive train for the latter (esp. slushie transmission).

I love the S3 too but the G is the absolute minimum for interior space for me, and on the stats the S3 is about its match, but it's some ~12" shorter than the G. I'll have to spend more time in it.

68_427

Quote from: MrH on December 12, 2016, 01:02:16 PM

Audi has a red light timer as well.  It's a countdown showing how long until it turns green
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: 68_427 on December 13, 2016, 06:57:43 AM
Audi has a red light timer as well.  It's a countdown showing how long until it turns green

I thought you were trolling, then I googled
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on December 12, 2016, 03:56:47 PM
Unless your Disco is used, it's got the Ingenium engine.  They stopped using Ford motors after the 2015MY.

I'm not sure they've switched over to the Ingenium line yet in the US. None of the specs changed on the car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on December 13, 2016, 06:57:43 AM
How Sway???

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on December 13, 2016, 02:40:31 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-audi-red-light-countdown-20160815-snap-story.html

Dope. But full of problems. It's rare in (civilized) Europe that someone gets killed by a red light runner, even though the light adds yellow to red to tell you it's about to go green. Just like a dragstrip.  You can get moving right as it turns green.

Here that will mean an uptick in accidents as people start to go as soon as its green, as the idiots are still running reds.
Will

giant_mtb

Pretty much all the lights I interact with already have visible timers...

12,000 RPM

Yea, timed lights have been in play for a long time now.

Plus you don't have to have a timed light to be able to time your launch. You can just watch the light for the crossing road.

CJ

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 12, 2016, 02:06:04 PM

Not sure you've ever been in an ATS, but it's terrible. Poor quality materials and atrocious build quality. Reliability is also pathetic. Let's take my CTS as an example. The interior driver door handle fell off at 9,000 miles. That's the second front door panel to have been replaced for poor build. The leather was delaminating from the passenger front door  around 7,000 miles. It's pathetic and quite a shame since it's a delight to drive.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CJ on December 16, 2016, 07:51:48 PM
Not sure you've ever been in an ATS, but it's terrible. Poor quality materials and atrocious build quality. Reliability is also pathetic. Let's take my CTS as an example. The interior driver door handle fell off at 9,000 miles. That's the second front door panel to have been replaced for poor build. The leather was delaminating from the passenger front door  around 7,000 miles. It's pathetic and quite a shame since it's a delight to drive.

Had an ATS as a rental a few years ago. I thought the interior was fine for the most part. Main complaint was the capacitive touch controls. Backseat was a bit smaller than the S4 I owned at the time, but the ATS was able to accommodate 4 of us and our luggage.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 16, 2016, 01:19:24 PM
Pretty much all the lights I interact with already have visible timers...

How do you know if the left-arrow won't come on??

The German system is foolproof, except for red-light runners.
Will