My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 06, 2017, 10:20:22 AM
That would be really annoying for suspension settings (I assume that's basically what the DCC does?), though I've noticed that a lot of my rental cars that have a sport setting do that - it'll remember either normal or "Eco" mode, but it won't remember sport. You'd think that a sports sedan would be different though.

IIRC, almost all cars do that with traction control settings.

The Explorer turns off cruise control automatically, which I find annoying. Instead of just hitting the set button, I have to hit the on button and then the set button. I don't know if that's common or not but both of my Hondas had/have a button that would leave cruise either on or off. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but if there were an easy way to fix it, I would.

FWIW Traction/Stability control definitely reset on each start up. Also FWIW you also can only turn stability control completely off when in race/sport mode. Otherwise it is just on a reduced setting (which isn't really noticeable unless you are trying to drift  :lol: ).

DCC controls a lot of things FWIW. Suspension, steering weight, exhaust noise, interior engine noise, etc...I know on the individual screen there are about a dozen different things you can set.

MX793

I think there's some kind of law/regulation that says TCS/ESP settings need to revert back to their "full on" setting after a vehicle is turned off and then restarted.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on February 06, 2017, 11:58:55 AM
I think there's some kind of law/regulation that says TCS/ESP settings need to revert back to their "full on" setting after a vehicle is turned off and then restarted.

Laws like that are why humans are going to become extinct sooner than later.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on February 06, 2017, 11:58:55 AM

I think it's more of a liability concern.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 06, 2017, 10:20:22 AM
The Explorer turns off cruise control automatically, which I find annoying. Instead of just hitting the set button, I have to hit the on button and then the set button. I don't know if that's common or not but both of my Hondas had/have a button that would leave cruise either on or off. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but if there were an easy way to fix it, I would.

My Toyotas and Subarus were like the Ford cruise control. Have to manually turn it on. I GREATLY prefer the Honda hard-button which stays on, I use cruise a lot even toodling around base at 35mph.
Will

giant_mtb

I haven't had cruise control in over 6 months.  Don't really notice anymore.

SJ_GTI

So those RS4 reps are out of stock and might be out of production. VMR manufactures to order though so the vendor is going to check and see if they are making them again soon. If not I am probably just going to order a set of the first wheel.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 06, 2017, 03:24:44 PM
I haven't had cruise control in over 6 months.  Don't really notice anymore.

I don't use mine because I enjoy pissing off other drivers with my inconsistent cruising speed on the highway.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on February 09, 2017, 11:54:01 AM
I don't use mine because I enjoy pissing off other drivers with my inconsistent cruising speed on the highway.

That certainly can be annoying as the other driver. :lol:

I see it as a sort of challenge...seeing how consistent I can be.  Once you get a feel for what your vehicle feels (and mostly sounds) like at a given speed, it's pretty easy to hold it on flattish ground without looking at the speedo very much.  Crazy how delicate/precise/still our feet can be on the gas pedal.

SJ_GTI

Welp got that answer quick.

The RS4 rep isn't technically out of production but demand is so low they very rarely make them (and could very well simply decide to stop).

The other one is, not surprisingly, one of their most popular wheels and is almost always in stock and in production. I know is pretty standard but I think I am just going to go with this one.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

How about black rims? 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

I like black wheels on dark blue cars.  It's a good look. 

Is that the same color as your car, Tony? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

No the MK6 R was a lighter shade of blue

Here's black.  I think the bright silver will match better because Lapiz Blue has so much depth to it that black wheels just can't match

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

I'm all about matching luminance.... I'd go with something gray or "hyper silver/black"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

If I had a white/black/grey car I would probably go with black wheels (and probably black out some of the silver accents). But I generally think silver goes better with blue so I am going to go with silver wheels and keep the various silver accents.

MX793

Bronze or gunmetal would look sweet.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 10, 2017, 06:19:02 AM
If I had a white/black/grey car I would probably go with black wheels (and probably black out some of the silver accents). But I generally think silver goes better with blue so I am going to go with silver wheels and keep the various silver accents.
Both look good, imo but,  for my taste, I'd rather have less of a contrast.  The black seems more subdued to me with a darker colour.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

I like silver best because of the depth of the paint, like you said
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Wheels have been ordered (the silver ones). Probably won't put them on until some time in March though.

SJ_GTI

New wheels have arrived...

giant_mtb

AutobahnSHO

vaporous mechanical roll
Will

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Velocity More Round Wheels
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Vaginal Moisture Reducer
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

So anybody want to buy a 2016 Golf R with <3500 miles? I'll even throw in an extra set of wheels.

(The Chevy SS is back to a 20% off sale)

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 02, 2017, 08:30:02 AM
So anybody want to buy a 2016 Golf R with <3500 miles? I'll even throw in an extra set of wheels.

I'm looking at trade in values too :cry:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Jeebus. There is so much wrong with the SS (for me):

Too big
No AWD
Less storage

But dat V8 doe.

It doesn't help that we get our 2016 bonus next week.  :lol:

68_427

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 02, 2017, 08:30:02 AM

PAGIN RAZA  :lol:

AND COCOUGS if anyone could actually reach him.
'racecar is die'
no