MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 02, 2017, 08:38:09 AM
Jeebus. There is so much wrong with the SS (for me):

Too big
No AWD
Less storage

But dat V8 doe.

It doesn't help that we get our 2016 bonus next week.  :lol:

It is massive.  Front seat leg room is probably the most I've ever seen.  Not even with the seat all the way back, I completely lose contact with the pedals and I'm 6'2"
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

The more I think about it, the more I am down for trying out the SS.

The one thing that has bugged me from the beginning on the Golf is the engine. Yeah its powerful...but I am just not a fan of the way it makes the power. Not smooth at all, which I think impacts how smooth I am with it.

That being said, everything else about the car is fucking fantastic. Way more suited to me than I even expected. I love the small footprint. The storage with the hatchback is phenomenal. I was able to fit all four wheels, still in the box, plus all four tires in the car all at the same time. With my S4 I struggled just to get the four wheel/tire combs in the car all at once much less get them in as separate parts. The SS has more trunk and rear space than the S4 but I still have to think it won't be able to match the Golf. I was skeptical of the AWD system going in but it has won me over. I mean I would still take a standard torsen style system any day if everything else is apples to apples...but all things considered the overall package of the Golf R is nearly perfect.

But dat V8 doe... :wub:

68_427

go drive that blue and see if it's as good as you remember after living with the Golf for a few months now.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Wait you're seriously considering changing cars already?  H rubbing off on you?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on March 02, 2017, 11:10:50 AM

Little bit.  :lol:

I really don't want to. I like my car.

Dat V8 doe. I feel like this might be the last time I can buy such a car (4-doors, N/A V8, 6MT, RWD).

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on March 02, 2017, 11:10:50 AM

:lol:  It's such a killer deal, even I thought for a second about it.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 02, 2017, 11:40:27 AM
Little bit.  :lol:

I really don't want to. I like my car.

Dat V8 doe. I feel like this might be the last time I can buy such a car (4-doors, N/A V8, 6MT, RWD).

Yep.  It's pretty much the last of a generation.  There will never be another V8, MT, RWD sedan again.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Why not just get a really cheap LSx car or Mustang. I bet you will lose more on the trade than what a C5 costs.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 02, 2017, 03:47:00 PM
Why not just get a really cheap LSx car or Mustang. I bet you will lose more on the trade than what a C5 costs.

You think he's going to lose more than $15k?  Plus then he has to register and insure two cars
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

He is an accountant I think, he can work the numbers

SJ_GTI

So after driving home and parking in my garage I am back to liking my Golf.   :lol:

No car is perfect so anything is a compromise...but I don't think I want to go back to a larger car or lose AWD.

But dat V8 doe... :wub:

Edit: yeah I don't want a second car. One car and a pickemup truck is enough.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

I bet the SS drives like a big cup of pudding. I mean, dat V8, but dat two ton weight doe.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

It's pretty damn good actually.  Magneride is nice.  It's a large vehicle, but dynamically really solid.  I only got 20 minutes of seat time or so though.

Road tripping to Iowa in a week in one though.  I should get a few hours of seat time then.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on March 03, 2017, 07:49:10 AM
I bet the SS drives like a big cup of pudding. I mean, dat V8, but dat two ton weight doe.

I bet a 4 cyl Accord is better
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 03, 2017, 08:57:50 AM
I bet a 4 cyl Accord is better

It all comes down to the TTBTPP score. (Time To Bluetooth Pair Phone)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on March 03, 2017, 07:49:10 AM

What makes you think that considering nobody has ever said that lol
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on March 03, 2017, 12:01:21 PM
What makes you think that considering nobody has ever said that lol

Intuition. Basically every big sedan feels like pudding.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

SJ it is now your duty to purchase a SS to prove its not a pissing mobile
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Have an appointment at Carmax this morning to get my Golf appraised. That will give me an idea of how much of a bath I will take if I move forward. If its not too courageously low then I will try and find the closest dealer that will let me test drive a manual SS (only drove an auto last year).

Lebowski

How much do you want for your Golf?

SJ_GTI

Carmax offer was 32k, not bad (but not great either).

Called the two nearest dealers with manual SS's on their website...both have been sold. Gonna head home and keep poking around.

68_427

I think there were 2-3 bought yesterday on TCL.  Good luck we all hope you find one.
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 04, 2017, 09:09:24 AM
Carmax offer was 32k, not bad (but not great either).

Called the two nearest dealers with manual SS's on their website...both have been sold. Gonna head home and keep poking around.
These cars haven't sold as fast as they are selling now their entire run.........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on March 04, 2017, 08:05:30 AM
How much do you want for your Golf?

Under 30k then I wouldn't even consider selling. 35k I probably would have sold on the spot and rented a car to go find an SS. 32k as a base isnt bad. In theory a dealer could offer more.

That being said the way the dealers reacted when I called about an SS is sounds like they are selling fast so not much incentive for dealers to offer above wholesale.

12,000 RPM

Oooo yea its getting into tax time/spring so shit's probably picking up

Good job :lol:

SJ_GTI

So I still catch myself fantasizing about an SS but I have pretty much decided to stick with my Golf for now.

I mean I would love to have that engine...but pretty much everything else about the Golf is more suited to my preferences (smaller, AWD, hatchback). I may change my mind in the future but I mean worst case scenario is that I could sell my Golf and buy an SS used some time down the line.

MrH

If it makes you feel any better, I hated the clutch feel on the SS.  The take up of the pedal is weird.  I like very linear force for clutches.  Miata and S2000 are like that.  BRZs was kind of funky, but once I adjusted it, it was good.

The SS:  The clutch is incredibly light at certain points in travel, and heavier in others.  And it changes right at the catch point so it's really awkward to get smooth with it.  It feels like a rubber band.

EDIT:  I just looked it up.  Seems there's actually an assist spring under the dash.  Looks like you can remove it and it feels linear.  Ok, so the one flaw is a 5 minute fix.  Sorry Tony :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on March 09, 2017, 09:59:56 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I hated the clutch feel on the SS.  The take up of the pedal is weird.  I like very linear force for clutches.  Miata and S2000 are like that.  BRZs was kind of funky, but once I adjusted it, it was good.

The SS:  The clutch is incredibly light at certain points in travel, and heavier in others.  And it changes right at the catch point so it's really awkward to get smooth with it.  It feels like a rubber band.

EDIT:  I just looked it up.  Seems there's actually an assist spring under the dash.  Looks like you can remove it and it feels linear.  Ok, so the one flaw is a 5 minute fix.  Sorry Tony :lol:

Yeah the Golf has a clutch spring assist as well. I think MX mentioned his mustang has one too. I removed the one in my Golf a while ago. Clutch is still relatively light and smoother now. Spring didn't make any sense IMHO.

MrH

Supposed to discourage people from riding the clutch or something. Yeah, it's stupid.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited