My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

12,000 RPM

VW 4 bangers haul the mail, but man are they boring. I don't blame you.

How is the steering? I have a JEtta TSI rental now, and the wheel is heavy AF with zero feel. Precise though, the car is easy to place. But the steering feel sucks.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 09, 2017, 08:09:00 PM
VW 4 bangers haul the mail, but man are they boring. I don't blame you.

How is the steering? I have a JEtta TSI rental now, and the wheel is heavy AF with zero feel. Precise though, the car is easy to place. But the steering feel sucks.

I think "precise but numb" is the most apt description for my car. That being said the S4 was also numb. When I test drove the BMW's I didn't get much steering feedback either (which was surprising since that used to be BMW's thing).

MrH

I just drove 4 hours in the SS this morning. Sitting the back now.

Ride and overall dynamics are really really good. I cruised through Ohio Indiana and into Illinois going 90 most of the way. Engine sounds great too.

It's not all that fast honestly. Hate the clutch feel. Not a big fan of the shifter either. There are a ton of GM touches throughout that bother me. The chrome interior trim is the worst. Keeps blinding me at certain times. Seats suck too. Built for fat old guys.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on March 10, 2017, 11:06:05 AM
It's not all that fast honestly. Hate the clutch feel. Not a big fan of the shifter either. There are a ton of GM touches throughout that bother me. The chrome interior trim is the worst. Keeps blinding me at certain times. Seats suck too. Built for fat old guys.

Pretty sure posting this on TCL would get you bant.

Wish I could drive an SS for a weekend. Would like to know if the compromises from owning it would be preferable to the compromises of owning my Golf.

68_427

Also don't you have a car full of people and stuff?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Ha yeah. 4 in total plus luggage. But still, the power doesn't blow me away.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

well it's a 12.8-13.0s car it is what it is.  plus it probably weighed 5000lbs :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

4 people and luggage will make any car feel not fast and have a worse clutch feel. lol

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 10, 2017, 06:14:49 AM
I think "precise but numb" is the most apt description for my car. That being said the S4 was also numb. When I test drove the BMW's I didn't get much steering feedback either (which was surprising since that used to be BMW's thing).
IT's shocking how far BMW steering fell. F30 steering is on the level of current VWs IMO. SAD!

Tave

Why is it so surprising? Virtually all the pure-electric racks lack feel...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rich

I'd like to feel a good rack
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 10, 2017, 06:51:17 PM
4 people and luggage will make any car feel not fast and have a worse clutch feel. lol

Even a minivan feels sluggish with that much extra weight.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on March 11, 2017, 07:01:00 AM
Why is it so surprising? Virtually all the pure-electric racks lack feel...
Eh, rack in the old Rabbit is ancient but electric. It's not the fastest, but it at least weights up in a normal way. What's most bizarre to me is how some two bit video game companies can build sim racing wheels that weight up perfectly while actual OEMs building actual cars can't. They have the technology..... they can rebuild it.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 11, 2017, 08:55:43 AM
Eh, rack in the old Rabbit is ancient but electric. It's not the fastest, but it at least weights up in a normal way. What's most bizarre to me is how some two bit video game companies can build sim racing wheels that weight up perfectly while actual OEMs building actual cars can't. They have the technology..... they can rebuild it.

Rabbit must use a different rack from the Jetta.  Steering ratio is slow, yet it's unnaturally high effort and the effort doesn't really feel like it changes as you turn.  Basically like my last Mustang, but higher effort.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 11, 2017, 07:35:07 AM
Even a minivan feels sluggish with that much extra weight.

The only thing that doesn't feel slower with that much weight is a diesel truck or a 6.2L.

SJ_GTI

FWIW I am reading about the clutch spring removal for the Chevy SS (someone on TCL linked to an SS forum about it). From what I can tell that spring is a bit different than what was in my car. the spring in my car was only pulling in one direction (pulling the clutch pedal toward the firewall). The one in the SS seems to be double sided and both helps move the pedal toward the firewall but also pulls it back up to its resting position.

Might not be a big deal, but sounds like it isn't as simply as the VW and Mustang spring removals.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 14, 2017, 07:52:50 AM
FWIW I am reading about the clutch spring removal for the Chevy SS (someone on TCL linked to an SS forum about it). From what I can tell that spring is a bit different than what was in my car. the spring in my car was only pulling in one direction (pulling the clutch pedal toward the firewall). The one in the SS seems to be double sided and both helps move the pedal toward the firewall but also pulls it back up to its resting position.

Might not be a big deal, but sounds like it isn't as simply as the VW and Mustang spring removals.

I'm glad that my clutch concerns have you looking this all up :lol:

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on March 14, 2017, 08:12:31 AM
I'm glad that my clutch concerns have you looking this all up :lol:

Oddly enough on my next car purchase clutch feel/performance will probably be a much higher priority. Removing the spring assist from my Golf helped but its still relatively poor IMHO. I noted the performance on the test drive but falsely assumed it was just unfamiliarity. Familiarity helped smooth things out a bit but relatively speaking I am nowhere near as comfortable with this clutch as I was with the Audi S4. I don't think I ever gave the clutch (or shifter) even a second thought on that car, everything just felt intuitive like it was second nature. Unfortunately that put the whole notion of having a "good" clutch completely out of my mind since I just assumed any clutch should be fine in the end.

CaminoRacer

I'm not sure how a double sided spring would work. I would think it's two separate springs. A return spring and a lame helper spring.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

I think the spring in my old Mazda was effectively both a return spring and helper spring.  It wasn't a double-acting spring so much as the geometry of the pedal and where the spring mounted had an "over center" feature where between points A and B (the upper 2/3s of the stroke) it acted as a return spring and from point B to the firewall wall (lower 1/3 of the stroke) it acted as a helper.  When my master cylinder failed, if I pushed the pedal down past a certain point, it would snap into the firewall.  Otherwise, it would snap back out to its "normal" position.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

FWIW this is a picture someone posted of the SS spring:

I'll take a picture of my spring when I get home but it is not like that.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 14, 2017, 09:23:33 AM
FWIW this is a picture someone posted of the SS spring:

I'll take a picture of my spring when I get home but it is not like that.

I'm guessing yours, like the Mustang's, is an axial spring rather than a torsional.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on March 14, 2017, 09:17:31 AM
I think the spring in my old Mazda was effectively both a return spring and helper spring.  It wasn't a double-acting spring so much as the geometry of the pedal and where the spring mounted had an "over center" feature where between points A and B (the upper 2/3s of the stroke) it acted as a return spring and from point B to the firewall wall (lower 1/3 of the stroke) it acted as a helper.  When my master cylinder failed, if I pushed the pedal down past a certain point, it would snap into the firewall.  Otherwise, it would snap back out to its "normal" position.

That could be it. My motorcycle has a similar setup on the center stand.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 14, 2017, 08:19:48 AM
Oddly enough on my next car purchase clutch feel/performance will probably be a much higher priority. Removing the spring assist from my Golf helped but its still relatively poor IMHO. I noted the performance on the test drive but falsely assumed it was just unfamiliarity. Familiarity helped smooth things out a bit but relatively speaking I am nowhere near as comfortable with this clutch as I was with the Audi S4. I don't think I ever gave the clutch (or shifter) even a second thought on that car, everything just felt intuitive like it was second nature. Unfortunately that put the whole notion of having a "good" clutch completely out of my mind since I just assumed any clutch should be fine in the end.

Yeah, I've been spoiled.  NC Miata and S2000 have great clutches and shifters.  Everything feels like crap in comparison.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

This is the spring from my Golf. One end hooked on to the clutch pedal, the other end hooked toward the firewall. There was a constant pull that made it easier to depress the clutch pedal.

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 11, 2017, 08:55:43 AM

Weight is not feel. Weight is the effort it takes to move the wheel. Feel is the transmission of road niggles and naggles and tire performance through the wheel, characterized by a slight back-and-forth "tug" as the car transverses imperfections.

VW's electric rack for the Golf/Jetta is very heavy but just as dead as most of the others.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on March 18, 2017, 10:01:30 AM
Weight is not feel. Weight is the effort it takes to move the wheel. Feel is the transmission of road niggles and naggles and tire performance through the wheel, characterized by a slight back-and-forth "tug" as the car transverses imperfections.

VW's electric rack for the Golf/Jetta is very heavy but just as dead as most of the others.
Weighting with load is one aspect of steering feel. I think they changed the racks over time.... steering in the Rabbit feels very different from steering in new VWs. Nowhere near as feelsome as my Civic but much better than the new stuff.

SJ_GTI

New wheels (with summer tires) are on.

The wheels are a tad wider than stock (8.5 inch versus 8.0) and the offset is a little less (45 vs 50). I wasn't sure how it would look but it isn't really noticable I don't think.

Stock/winter:

New/summer:

Biggest visual difference I can see is the space between the brakes and the wheel. There is very little space between the stock wheels and the brakes but the new tires have a lot of space. Can't imagine it would make a difference in anything though.

A few more pics from different angles:

Took it for a quick drive and everything felt good. I didn't feel like going on the highway so only got it up to ~85 mph but everything felt good so I am thinking the wheels are good.

It was nice to be back on summer tires...the car feels just a bit sharper and stiffer. All things considered though I it was a reminder how nice the Pirelli sottozeroes are though...decent in the snow but I don't feel like it gives much up in normal (but cold) conditions.

FoMoJo

Wheels suit the car much better than the others.  Very stylish.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer