My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

THOSE LOOK DAMN GOOD!!!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

They look good.  The offset/width change is noticeable for sure.  Much better.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Those definitely look much, much better than stock. Nice
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

I don't normally like aftermarket wheels but those do look good.

68_427

Guy on VWV TCL is selling his.
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Tempting but I will go new if I do make the switch. After all the hemming and hawing the main drawback is I don't think I want a car that big again.

But dat V8 doe... :wub:

SJ_GTI

Crossed the 5,000 mile mark on my car this weekend:

10 months in and I have mixed feelings about the car. As an overall package its great: Small, AWD, fun, 4-door, 6MT, good power, refined, a lot of features/tech, and I even like the way it looks. But over time I am not getting better with the clutch. I think the combination of the abrupt clutch engagement and the turbo lag is just too finicky for me. The only way I seem to be able to drive it smoothly is to keep it out of boost as much as possible (<2500 RPMs) which of course is not fun.

Not sure what the long term plan is with this car. I am not going to be selling it or trading it in any time soon...there just aren't any cars out there that have the right mix of attributes that I would like. The simplest solution would be to trade it in for a DSG model but I am not at the point where I think I could live with an automatic day to day. When I had loaners before (usually Audi A3's and A4's) the automatics were fine for what they were but I am too used to rowing my own gears. The other possibility would be finding another fun/practical car with a (reasonably powerful) naturally aspirated engine and a 6MT...but those are unicorns at this point and are usually lacking in other areas (no AWD, too big, etc...).

Galaxy

The M240i coupé has a 6 speed manual dies it not?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Galaxy on June 05, 2017, 07:03:11 AM
The M240i coupé has a 6 speed manual dies it not?

I'm not really shopping at this point. When I was test driving the only 2-series (and 3-series) they had on the lots were automatics. The 2-series had other issues though. Overall it feels like a cheaper car despite being more expensive, its 2-door only, and with the turbo-4 it felt slower and less sporty than the S3 I drove back to back with it. If I got a manual I'd have to get RWD instead of AWD (doable, but not ideal).  I can spend more money and get the turbo-6 with RWD to fix the speed issue (and possibly the sportiness) but at that point I'd probably just get a Camaro (or Mustang) instead anyway.

The Golf is fine for me for now. I mean I am probably going to be around 6k miles per year...so its not like I am spending that much time in it anyway.

12,000 RPM

That is kind of a bummer. I wouldn't rule out an auto though. There are brief moments where I kind of want a stick, but for the most part I don't miss it.

GoCougs

The trick I've found is very fast shifting - not giving the engine a chance to spin down.

But in general, turbos are better off with a DSG or hi-po slushie, and the more the boost (and ~150 hp/L is a good deal of boost) the better the match.

GoCougs

Check this Golf R DSG POV drive. Watched this a number of times. That DSG is something else. Also, for MY2018, the Golf R is getting an upgraded 7 sp DSG which is even more responsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioa_O5aaEnw

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on June 05, 2017, 09:30:02 AM
Check this Golf R DSG POV drive. Watched this a number of times. That DSG is something else. Also, for MY2018, the Golf R is getting an upgraded 7 sp DSG which is even more responsive.

I'm guessing that's the same 7 speed as the A4? If so, indeed, it's a remarkable transmission. If only the steering wasn't terrible on that car.

MX793

Are some of the shifting issues due to rev hang?  Seems all newer cars (past 10 years at least) suffer from some small amount of rev hang and turbos seem to be worse than NA (it's done for emissions, BTW).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Can you try flashing the ecu with a different tune from APR or anything? Shifting was a lot easier after getting my ECUtek tune since the gas pedal didn't have a weird tip in delay.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 05, 2017, 09:40:04 AM
I'm guessing that's the same 7 speed as the A4? If so, indeed, it's a remarkable transmission. If only the steering wasn't terrible on that car.

I'm guessing not - longitudinal vs. transverse motor.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Cookie Monster on June 05, 2017, 01:00:58 PM
Can you try flashing the ecu with a different tune from APR or anything? Shifting was a lot easier after getting my ECUtek tune since the gas pedal didn't have a weird tip in delay.

+1   Or heavier flywheel or different clutch?
Will

12,000 RPM

Nothing like spending money to re-engineer bad design :pee:

A tune may help things though.

veeman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 05, 2017, 07:15:17 AM

The Golf is fine for me for now. I mean I am probably going to be around 6k miles per year...so its not like I am spending that much time in it anyway.

I don't know man but this statement seems to really sum up your feelings on the car.  You've had the car for a decent amount of time and you're not enjoying it.  Maybe take the financial hit, and just get rid of it. 

My manual VW Beetle diesel wasn't perfect for me and neither is my current manual Subaru Crosstrek but I always look forward to rowing the gears.  I sold my 2006 Toyota RAV4 which had a V6 after A few years with 37,000 miles because I hated driving it.  It was too damn bumpy a ride, acceleration from a standstill was very jarring (car could not accelerate smoothly), and I hated the light green color.  All of that was cured with the Buick Enclave I had gotten to replace it as the family hauler.  I took a financial hit on dumping the RAV4 so early but even in hindsight, I never regretted dumping it.  The car just sucked for me.

SJ_GTI

Yeah I have look at mods to change it...but at the end of the day I am not going to bother with it. For me I think the big turbo is actually more the issue than the clutch. I think the shifter itself is fine as is. The issue I find is that I can either shift fast/hard or smooth, not both. I felt like the S4 (and cars before it) I could do both. The S4 had a supercharger (which I didn't appreciate until it was gone) and the GTI and A4 1.8T I had both had turbos that spooled up almost immediately off idle.

A lot of people are OK with big turbo's. I think most reviews actually give the Golf a lot of credit for how quickly the Golf R spools up (compared to its main competitors). I think my issues with it are just personal preference. I think Gougs is right that it is less of an issue with a good DSG/DCT transmission or even a good traditional auto.

Also based on your responses I think I may have oversold the negatives.  :lol: Its a fun car and the overall package is great. Its not perfect and for now I don't see an obvious better solution so I am just going to leave things the way they are for now.

FoMoJo

Should'a got the Focus RS :huh:.

:lol:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 06, 2017, 11:20:35 AM
Should'a got the Focus RS :huh:.

:lol:

They ride horribly stiff even with the suspension in "soft".
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 06, 2017, 11:32:52 AM
They ride horribly stiff even with the suspension in "soft".
Sounds about right for a hot hatch.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

SJ_GTI

As an aside, there was an aside about launch without throttle in a different thread. I tried it on the Golf and got a surprise...as you release the clutch the car itself applies throttle. When I tried it my car was idling @ ~800 RPMs but as I began releasing the clutch it jumped to ~1100 rpms and stayed there as I went through the motion of releasing the clutch. Not surprisingly engaging 1st gear with no throttle is roughly the same as engaging first gear with normal throttle (I probably hover between 1000-1200 rpms when starting out in normal driving).

I am about 99.9% my previous cars didn't do this (only car I am not 100% certain on is the S4...that car could easily get going without applying throttle but I always assumed it was because it had a larger engine...maybe it was also applying throttle for me and I just didn't notice...?). Anyone else's car do this? I guess it makes sense in this era of computer controlled car inputs.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 06, 2017, 11:46:58 AM
As an aside, there was an aside about launch without throttle in a different thread. I tried it on the Golf and got a surprise...as you release the clutch the car itself applies throttle. When I tried it my car was idling @ ~800 RPMs but as I began releasing the clutch it jumped to ~1100 rpms and stayed there as I went through the motion of releasing the clutch. Not surprisingly engaging 1st gear with no throttle is roughly the same as engaging first gear with normal throttle (I probably hover between 1000-1200 rpms when starting out in normal driving).

I am about 99.9% my previous cars didn't do this (only car I am not 100% certain on is the S4...that car could easily get going without applying throttle but I always assumed it was because it had a larger engine...maybe it was also applying throttle for me and I just didn't notice...?). Anyone else's car do this? I guess it makes sense in this era of computer controlled car inputs.
Could be just an anti-stall feature.

MX793

Seems most newer MT cars will go into fast idle if you ease out the clutch to prevent stalling, provided you do it slowly.  I think my old 240SX may have even done that.
Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

JB1

undetectable during inspection and good for another 50hp on 91
'racecar is die'
no