My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

giant_mtb

I could take off in the A4 with no gas input if I was on flat and did it slowly. Don't recall it seemingly applying throttle itself, but I could be wrong. I figured it just had the torque for it.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on June 06, 2017, 10:04:39 PM
JB1

undetectable during inspection and good for another 50hp on 91

I would happily give away 50 HP for less (or no) turbo lag.

MrH

I drove the Chevy SS into work today if it makes you feel any better :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

No...no it doesn't.

:evildude:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MrH on June 07, 2017, 07:11:01 AM
I drove the Chevy SS into work today if it makes you feel any better :lol:
How do you like it?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

It's kind of a strange car.  I've probably got almost 800 miles of seat time in it in total.  I'm less enamored with it than when I first drove it.

Pros:
- Sounds great.  In performance mode, it cracks and makes all the right noises.
- It's fast.
- In touring mode, the ride comfort is great.

Cons:
- Basically no lower lumbar support.  My lower back is shot after a few hours of driving.
- All the interior chrome is the worst.  Sun reflects off it all the time at weird angles.
- The inputs are all funky.  Clutch feel and uptake are terrible.  Shifter feel isn't great.  Steering isn't all that great.
- The limits are through the roof high + funky controls + dull feedback = kind of scary on the limit

I was driving last night and attacked some familiar back roads.  The thing is so fast, it's very easy to accidental come in 10 mph faster than intended and have to correct mid corner.  At 50+ mph high speed sweepers, it's great.  Technical, tight sections it's tough to get right.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

The SS is a big girl.

But yeah, turbos I am not looking forward to. Such a shame those.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on June 07, 2017, 10:49:30 AM
The SS is a big girl.

But yeah, turbos I am not looking forward to. Such a shame those.

Yes it is.  Great for road trips!  You can ride in comfort in the back all day.

Honestly though... I think I would like it better with an automatic :mask:  The clutch and shifter aren't particularly good and it doesn't seem to fit the car well.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Nissan showed me how much better a good auto is than a bad manual 3x over.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on June 07, 2017, 11:17:48 AM

Honestly though... I think I would like it better with an automatic :mask:  The clutch and shifter aren't particularly good and it doesn't seem to fit the car well.

A muscle car with an automatic is perfectly acceptable to me.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

GM 6sp AT isn't that good however.

If the SS had lived on with the LT1, 10 sp AT and downsized say 10-15%, now that really could have been something.

12,000 RPM

If they made that look good that would be the nail in Cadillac's coffin.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on June 07, 2017, 11:39:09 AM
GM 6sp AT isn't that good however.

If the SS had lived on with the LT1, 10 sp AT and downsized say 10-15%, now that really could have been something.

True.  I have mixed feelings about the whole car.  I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but I also am not clamoring to sell all my vehicles to get one either.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 07, 2017, 11:33:40 AM
A muscle car with an automatic is perfectly acceptable to me.
:cheers:

Quote from: MrH on June 07, 2017, 11:17:48 AM

I never wished for a manual in my G8. And yes these cars have HUGE rear seats and trunks. I looked at my car as a big tourer that handled great and looked killer! (Not so much the SS)
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

Maybe I'll post a pic when I pick it up today to make Tony jealous :lol:

I dropped it off to get clear bra'ed today.  Larry takes it on a road trip, but when he comes back, it'll get opticoated on non-clear bra areas.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Wait, you have an SS now?  I'm confus.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on June 07, 2017, 03:04:06 PM
Maybe I'll post a pic when I pick it up today to make Tony jealous :lol:

I dropped it off to get clear bra'ed today.  Larry takes it on a road trip, but when he comes back, it'll get opticoated on non-clear bra areas.

We gotta clear bra the Camaro's rocker panels now that it has rock-slinging sticky tires.

Are you just doing the front bumper and hood?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Small update on this car.

Gas mileage has slowly continuously increased over time. My last two tanks I got ~25 MPG. I am curious to see how far back down it goes with the cooler weather coming up soon. Still it has been nice getting the better mileage (versus the ~20 MPG in the S4). I wish the Golf had a bigger tank as well but at least now I am getting ~300 miles between fill ups again.

I have been pleasantly surprised that there have been -0- mechanical issues and  -0- electrical issues so far (~14 months, knock on wood).

Having the hatchback has been so nice. I like having a small car on the outside but being able to stuff it full of stuff occasionally. I think technically the S4 had more cargo capacity but I find the Golf more useful. Unless there is some other huge advantage on a particular car I can't see myself ever going back to a sedan again.

I keep expecting to find some fault with the Haldex AWD system but it really does work seamlessly for how I drive. In concept I would prefer a "true" AWD system like the S4 had but for practically all driving situations I encounter this system seems to work just as well (so far, anyway).

Only gripe is really the big turbo on a little engine. Having a clutch that is so on/off doesn't help either, but I have gotten somewhat used to it over time I guess. Its a little irritating but not enough of a bother that I am planning to change cars any time soon. Every car is a compromise to some extent and for now this car still seems like the best set of compromises for me.

Anyway I plan to keep on keeping on with the Golf for the foreseeable future. The S4 last 6 years and hopefully the Golf will last that long too.

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 07, 2017, 03:08:00 PM
Wait, you have an SS now?  I'm confus.

Father in law has one.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 07, 2017, 03:14:39 PM
We gotta clear bra the Camaro's rocker panels now that it has rock-slinging sticky tires.

Are you just doing the front bumper and hood?

We did the whole hood, front bumper, fenders, leading edge of the roof, mirrors, rocker panels.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 23, 2017, 08:28:31 AM
Small update on this car.

Gas mileage has slowly continuously increased over time. My last two tanks I got ~25 MPG. I am curious to see how far back down it goes with the cooler weather coming up soon. Still it has been nice getting the better mileage (versus the ~20 MPG in the S4). I wish the Golf had a bigger tank as well but at least now I am getting ~300 miles between fill ups again.

I have been pleasantly surprised that there have been -0- mechanical issues and  -0- electrical issues so far (~14 months, knock on wood).

Having the hatchback has been so nice. I like having a small car on the outside but being able to stuff it stuff occasionally. I think technically the S4 had more cargo capacity but I find the Golf more useful. Unless there is some other huge advantage on a particular car I can't see myself ever going back to a sedan again.

I keep expecting to find some fault with the Haldex AWD system but it really does work seamlessly for how I drive. In concept I would prefer a "true" AWD system like the S4 had but for practically all driving situations I encounter this system seems to work just as well (so far, anyway).

Only gripe is really the big turbo on a little engine. Having a clutch that is so on/off doesn't help either, but I have gotten somewhat used to it over time I guess. Its a little irritating but not enough of a bother that I am planning to change cars any time soon. Every car is a compromise to some extent and for now this car still seems like the best set of compromises for me.

Anyway I plan to keep on keeping on with the Golf for the foreseeable future. The S4 last 6 years and hopefully the Golf will last that long too.

So the itch for an SS is finally gone?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on October 23, 2017, 08:31:27 AM
So the itch for an SS is finally gone?

Yeah, I like having a small hatchback too much.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 23, 2017, 09:24:28 AM
Is this available in the US?

http://www.audi.com.mx/mx/web/es/models/q3/rsq3.html

No idea, but the S3 and RS3 are both auto only so I would assume that their CUV equivalent would be too. I liked the S3 when I drove it but looking back the Golf was the obviously better choice for me (smaller footprint, manual, and less expensive). An RSQ3 would likely be auto, larger outside (without necessarily being larger inside), and much, much more expensive.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 23, 2017, 09:28:55 AM
No idea, but the S3 and RS3 are both auto only so I would assume that their CUV equivalent would be too. I liked the S3 when I drove it but looking back the Golf was the obviously better choice for me (smaller footprint, manual, and less expensive). An RSQ3 would likely be auto, larger outside (without necessarily being larger inside), and much, much more expensive.

Last I checked, you can no longer get an AWD Audi with a stick shift.  I think the base, FWD A3 is the only MT Audi available in the US, assuming that's even still available.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

You can get a new A4 with a stick.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Does the front seat fold down flat? Wifey's Rabbit was such a beast with its cargo management

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 23, 2017, 10:08:01 AM
Does the front seat fold down flat? Wifey's Rabbit was such a beast with its cargo management

I don't believe so, but have never tried.

FWIW these are not the same seats as in a normal Golf. These are specific to the GTI and R from what i can tell.

GoCougs

This is still sorta relevant to my interests. I'm coming up on ~6 years and ~130k miles in the G, and most new cars remain terrible.

The MY2018 R gets a 7 sp DSG, full LED lights F&R, virtual dash and new wheels. The latter two I'm not a fan of, plus, turbo engines do better with a (good) DSG or slushie.

I can get 350-450 miles/tank on the G (20 gallon tank), and it matters, as I hate with a passion going to the gas station, and I drive a lot.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on October 23, 2017, 12:19:11 PM
This is still sorta relevant to my interests. I'm coming up on ~6 years and ~130k miles in the G, and most new cars remain terrible.

The MY2018 R gets a 7 sp DSG, full LED lights F&R, virtual dash and new wheels. The latter two I'm not a fan of, plus, turbo engines do better with a (good) DSG or slushie.

I can get 350-450 miles/tank on the G (20 gallon tank), and it matters, as I hate with a passion going to the gas station, and I drive a lot.

I think the Golf R Tank is 14 gallons? Something like that...definitely smaller than the S4 and definitely not 20 gallons. Like you I would love a bigger gas tank. For me right now the main benefit of better MPG's is less stops at the gas station. I couldn't even tell you what it means in $$$'s (although intellectually it is nice to know I am spending less).

I think the engine type probably does work better with a DSG (possibly even a torque converter auto), but I still enjoy rowing my own gears enough that the trade off is still worth it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 23, 2017, 12:32:47 PM
I think the Golf R Tank is 14 gallons? Something like that...definitely smaller than the S4 and definitely not 20 gallons. Like you I would love a bigger gas tank. For me right now the main benefit of better MPG's is less stops at the gas station. I couldn't even tell you what it means in $$$'s (although intellectually it is nice to know I am spending less).

I think the engine type probably does work better with a DSG (possibly even a torque converter auto), but I still enjoy rowing my own gears enough that the trade off is still worth it.
With a small turbo engine, the more gears the better.  The 9 or 10 speed autos work just fine at keeping the revs low and just slightly dipping into the boost in most general driving conditions.  The best mileage I've gotten with the Discovery Sport (9 spd auto) on a highway trip is 37+ mpg.  It's a 2.0 EcoBoost.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."