amateur subie work

Started by AutobahnSHO, August 20, 2016, 02:30:57 PM

AutobahnSHO

So....   

Wife's car has been making a "wub wub" noise. I don't ride in it often but drove it the other day and it just seems noisy. Odyssey is probably quiet in comparison, but it just sounded really LOUD (road noise, not engine).  I got it on a lift and wiggled all the wheels, none seem to have obvious play in them. It's 10yrs old an almost 90k miles. Should I be concerned with wheel bearings??

Changed the oil, rotated the tires.
Cheap tires, I didn't realize they're supposed to be unidirectional. The left front and right rear are now spinning against the "direction of rotation" arrows. But the tires don't look all that high-tech to begin with. The tread almost looks like it's uni-directional. (the Spin isn't letting me post the pic.)
Thoughts?

AND, both axle inside CV boots are torn. One has a tiny rip and a tiny amount of grease on the frame around it, the other is torn about 1/8 of the way around and quite a mess. I'll have to price it out (parts and me doing it vs. a shop doing the job) but I don't feel like banging on the axles.
Will

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Tires that are starting to cup will make noises like that.  You frequently get a lot of tire noise right after you rotate them.  You're certainly at a mileage that, if they haven't been changed yet, the wheel bearings could be on their way out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on August 20, 2016, 07:04:43 PM
Tires that are starting to cup will make noises like that.  You frequently get a lot of tire noise right after you rotate them.  You're certainly at a mileage that, if they haven't been changed yet, the wheel bearings could be on their way out.

Noise was before rotation..

I priced axles, ~$70 apiece on autozone, it looks like it's something I *can* do, not that I want to. All the youtube videos show taking the strut off the knuckle, but comments always say to just pop the swaybar off the bottom and pry the hub off the axle.  (that's how I did my first ever repair job, on the SHO in 2002... but I messed up the spline on the axle and wasted 30min hand-filing it to get it all back together..)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Replaced axles Friday. $65 + $45 plus $16 shop fees plus time. Autozone has a real rewards program, spend $20+ 5x, get a $20 credit.
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 27, 2016, 09:47:34 PM
Replaced axles Friday. $65 + $45 plus $16 shop fees plus time. Autozone has a real rewards program, spend $20+ 5x, get a $20 credit.

Did it fix it?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Sounds like bad bearings to me!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

It's pulling a little to the right, I'll get an alignment and ask them about bearings. (I forgot to check the rears when I had it up... :( )
Will

AutobahnSHO

Car isn't pulling at all, watching tires and they're not wearing.

We're getting some clunks when hitting bumps during cornering that weren't there before. Sway bar bushings or something??
Will

CaminoRacer

Sway bar bushings or endlinks. Could just be a loose bolt.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I remember my Monte had a nice clunk over bumps...turns out the right (rear) sway bar mount rusted off so the thing was just slappin around.  So they just took the sway bar off. :lol: