Water free wash.

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 22, 2016, 06:56:04 AM

12,000 RPM

I got the Griot water-free kit.... really like it! Much easier than getting the bucket out and all that horseshit.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11285-Spray-Wash/dp/B003V3RVWI

It's not a be all end all thing though.... I definitely need to get the paint professionally buffed, but between those this should really keep things clean. Just figured I'd throw a recommendation out there.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cookie Monster

Hmm, I should try this out with all the water problems in CA... thanks!

Does it last a while?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

I've used optimum no rinse on the 4Runner with good results (also tried a chemical guys waterless spray that was pretty good too, think ONR prob a little better since it at least uses a bucket of water and it's way more economical).

I still use the 2 bucket method for the M3 and when the 4Runner is really dirty hosing it off is always best. But it works better than I thought. It's a no brainier if you live in a place like CA with water restrictions. You can even use optimum no rinse in your garage with the door shut.

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 22, 2016, 06:56:04 AM
I got the Griot water-free kit.... really like it! Much easier than getting the bucket out and all that horseshit.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11285-Spray-Wash/dp/B003V3RVWI

It's not a be all end all thing though.... I definitely need to get the paint professionally buffed, but between those this should really keep things clean. Just figured I'd throw a recommendation out there.

Like all Griot's products, overpriced.   Yes, I've used a lot of their products in the past, yes I was unimpressed.  yes, there is better stuff out there for less money. 

I like to rinse the car with water before washing with soapy water and a microfiber mitt.  Why?  The water rinse flushes off small grit that would scratch the paint if I just went over the car with a rag and spray cleaner.

Morris Minor

One of the unforeseen downsides of my wife's CLK 350 is that it's black. Very difficult to keep looking good and, in the South, wash water dries almost on contact. You almost need someone hosing both you and the car down as you wash it.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 22, 2016, 01:02:05 PM
One of the unforeseen downsides of my wife's CLK 350 is that it's black. Very difficult to keep looking good and, in the South, wash water dries almost on contact. You almost need someone hosing both you and the car down as you wash it.

Black is always a pain, everything shows up and is magnified.  About all you can do is wash in the shade and in the early morning or late afternoon.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CLKid on August 22, 2016, 11:06:02 AM
Like all Griot's products, overpriced.   Yes, I've used a lot of their products in the past, yes I was unimpressed.  yes, there is better stuff out there for less money. 

I like to rinse the car with water before washing with soapy water and a microfiber mitt.  Why?  The water rinse flushes off small grit that would scratch the paint if I just went over the car with a rag and spray cleaner.
Yea I took that one on the chin. Definitely gonna grab some other products when this runs out. Main thing is getting the highest GSM microfiber towels and getting nasty grit off. Real test is gonna be this winter. Like Lebowski said though it's nice AF to clean my car in the middle of a 95 degree afternoon without breaking a sweat. Takes like 20 minutes too and leaves an almost waxy finish. I like it. Wish local stores sold this; can't find spray on wash anywhere local.

giant_mtb

Are these products all that much stronger than a spray detailer?  The thought of wiping dry, dirty paint down with nothing but a spray bottle of soapyish water and a microfiber is terrifying, especially for a darker color.

CaminoRacer

When I wash mine, I keep the whole car wet until I'm done washing everything, then quickly dry everything in order of what dries fastest.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

and, in the South, wash water dries almost on contact. You almost need someone hosing both you and the car down as you wash it.

:lol:

My car didn't get dirty though, Augusta area is mostly sand that never stuck to the car.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 22, 2016, 06:26:13 PM
When I wash mine, I keep the whole car wet until I'm done washing everything, then quickly dry everything in order of what dries fastest.

Spray detailer is an easy, great way to get rid of leftover rinse water spots after your wash. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 22, 2016, 03:34:19 PM
Are these products all that much stronger than a spray detailer?  The thought of wiping dry, dirty paint down with nothing but a spray bottle of soapyish water and a microfiber is terrifying, especially for a darker color.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 22, 2016, 03:34:19 PM
From what I understand these washes are equipped with lubricants to avoid scratching the paint. I haven't seen any damage

I think this is stronger than a quick detailer. I've seen companies recommend using a quick detailer after using one of these products.

MrH

I just bought Optimum's No Rinse to use on the vehicles.  That's the recommended wash method for cars with opticoat.  I had the same reservations about rubbing dirt into the clear coat, but the guy who did my cars said it basically traps the dirt and lubes it up so it comes right off.  He showed me on a car under lights and sure enough, the dirt didn't leave anything in the clear coat.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on August 23, 2016, 08:22:28 AM
I just bought Optimum's No Rinse to use on the vehicles.  That's the recommended wash method for cars with opticoat.  I had the same reservations about rubbing dirt into the clear coat, but the guy who did my cars said it basically traps the dirt and lubes it up so it comes right off.  He showed me on a car under lights and sure enough, the dirt didn't leave anything in the clear coat.

This stuff?  http://www.autogeek.net/opnoriwash12.html

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 23, 2016, 06:00:45 AM
From what I understand these washes are equipped with lubricants to avoid scratching the paint. I haven't seen any damage

I think this is stronger than a quick detailer. I've seen companies recommend using a quick detailer after using one of these products.

Looks like some of them (well, all of them, really) you can adjust your mix ratio, too, to make it stronger or weaker depending on how dirty of a car you're working with.  I'd never use these products on a dirty vehicle, but for an average wash, I think I'm warming up to them.  Haven't tried yet, but maybe this winter I'll buy a gallon and give 'er a test on the Tacoma.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 22, 2016, 09:15:11 PM
Spray detailer is an easy, great way to get rid of leftover rinse water spots after your wash. 

True. I just haven't found a good spray for matte paint. :(
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 23, 2016, 09:20:46 PM
True. I just haven't found a good spray for matte paint. :(

Ahhhh yeah. I've not enough experience with matte to suggest anything.

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2016, 12:11:59 PM
This stuff?  http://www.autogeek.net/opnoriwash12.html

Yep, that's it.  I'm going to try washing both cars this weekend and see how it goes.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

I thought having a black car would be a little bit of a pain in the ass because of how dirty it would always get and knowing my laziness.  It turned out I never have washed my car once in the 3 years I've owned it and I've never paid to have it washed.  And this didn't bother me in the slightest and the car never, IMHO, stuck out like a sore thumb.  No one ever fingerprinted "wash me" on it.  True when the car was washed each time I took it to the dealer for 10,000 mile service, it really looked great but, it's just not that big of a deal for me. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2016, 12:13:35 PM
Looks like some of them (well, all of them, really) you can adjust your mix ratio, too, to make it stronger or weaker depending on how dirty of a car you're working with.  I'd never use these products on a dirty vehicle, but for an average wash, I think I'm warming up to them.  Haven't tried yet, but maybe this winter I'll buy a gallon and give 'er a test on the Tacoma.
Yea, it'll be interesting to see what will happen this winter if we get snow + salt. For that level of dirt I would probably go get a touchless car wash and then immediately follow up with a quick drying and this stuff to get that dirty water off. Should be enough.

MrH

Washed both cars with No Rinse today. It's awesome for the s2000. I can wash it really quick in the garage. For the 4Runner, not so nice. It's a huge car so it takes quite awhile to do.

I've got opticoat on both cars, so I'll probably just go to the touchless carwash place down the road for the 4Runner. A lot easier

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited