FJ Cruiser Test

Started by Catman, December 26, 2005, 06:53:51 PM

Catman

A new cruiser for the kids

By Karl Brauer Email
Date posted: 01-01-2006

If your first thought when gazing at the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser is something along the lines of, "Oh great, another retro vehicle," you're not alone. Between the Volkswagen "New" Beetle, Mini Cooper, Ford Mustang and recently unveiled Dodge Challenger, it could be argued that automakers have run out of new ideas and are simply living off their past glory.

But there's a flaw in that line of thinking. Simply put, Toyota is having plenty of success with its current SUV lineup. Even the company's oldest off-road design, the Land Cruiser, continues to win awards and accolades, including Edmunds' 2006 Most Wanted SUV over $45,000. So unlike the companies building those other retro vehicles, Toyota doesn't need the FJ Cruiser to revive interest in the brand. In fact, the original FJ concept vehicle was designed at Toyota's Calty Design Research center in Newport Beach, California, and shown at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show as a pure concept study, with no serious plans for production.

However, with consumers doing cartwheels around the FJ Cruiser's show stand, and the automotive press writing rave reviews, Toyota decided to put it into production six months after the concept debuted. The first prototype was built on a modified Prado (4Runner/GX 470) platform in the summer of 2004, and the final production models will be in dealerships by March 2006.

The "go" to match its retro
And while the FJ Cruiser's lineage is long ("FJ" has been the Land Cruiser's internal vehicle code name for over 50 years ago), Toyota's vice president of marketing, Jim Farley, has dubbed the 2007 version "?the most distinctive and capable 4x4 in the Toyota lineup." That's quite a statement from the company building the existing Land Cruiser and 4Runner. Farley adds that the FJ Cruiser not only moves the Land Cruiser tradition forward, but does so at a starting price below $25,000 (exact pricing has yet to be announced), making it available to a far wider range of buyers.

To avoid the poseur label that could have easily befallen a new SUV wearing the "FJ" badge, Toyota has outfitted the FJ with a choice of two 4x4 systems, two transmissions and two types of locking differentials. The base model offers two-wheel drive and a five-speed automatic, and in the "Pre-Runner" spirit even two-wheel-drive models can be had with an electric locking rear differential. They also come with a standard automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD) that reads the relative speed of the rear-drive wheels and attempts to match them (this feature can be disabled by a switch on the dash).

But Toyota expects over 90 percent of FJs sold in the first year (with a production run of around 46,000 units) to be 4x4 models. The same five-speed automatic is available on 4x4 FJ Cruisers, as is a six-speed manual that includes a clutch start cancel feature. This allows you to start the engine without depressing the clutch, which can be a lifesaver when you've stalled on a steep incline and would rather not dance between the brake and clutch pedal as the vehicle rolls uncontrollably down a hill.

Automatic models come with a transfer case that can be driven in 2-Hi, 4-Hi and 4-Lo mode. Manual models are always in four-wheel drive, with the transfer case offering 4-Hi, 4-Hi with locked differential and 4-Lo with locked differential. This model uses a Torsen limited-slip center differential with a static 40-60 torque split between the front and rear axles. However, up to 70 percent of power can be sent to the rear wheels, and up to 53 percent to the front wheels, depending on available traction at each end.

Regardless of tranny and driveline configuration you get the same Toyota aluminum block 4.0-liter, 60-degree V6 engine from the Tacoma, Tundra and 4Runner. With dual-overhead cams, 24 valves and VVT-i technology, the engine manages 239 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, and 278 pound-feet of torque at 3,700 rpm. Note that both numbers are based on 91-octane fuel, which isn't required but is recommended.

Preliminary mileage numbers are 18/22 for the automatic 4x2, 16/19 for the 4x4 with manual transmission and 17/21 for the 4x4 automatic. All models offer a 5,000-pound towing capacity, and our automatic 4x4 test vehicle got to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds. Not flying, but neither does it feel slow in normal, everyday driving.

Not your soccer mom's SUV

With those mileage figures, along with its premium fuel recommendation, the FJ Cruiser may not be as popular with suburban moms as SUVs were in the days of sub-$2-a-gallon gasoline. Throw in a nearly inaccessible rear seat, even when utilizing the small reverse-opening rear doors, and you have a rather inhospitable vehicle for soccer practice drop-offs or local mall runs.

Yet Toyota isn't worried, as the automaker is sincere when it says the vehicle is designed for young (and kudos to Toyota for not saying "the young at heart") single males who can appreciate the FJ's extreme off-road capabilities. Beyond the two-speed transfer case, available locking differential and 17-inch wheels wearing 32-inch tires, all 4x4 models offer 9.6 inches of ground clearance, 34-degree approach and 30-degree departure angles and a 27.4-degree break-over angle. Skid plates for the engine, transfer case and fuel tank, along with 8 and 9 inches of front and rear suspension travel, respectively, would certainly go to waste on Rodeo Drive (though we're sure at least a few will end up there, nonetheless).

We personally tested all of these items in some of the most aggressive off-road driving we've yet experienced. The articulation of the double A-arm front suspension and four-link rear suspension was truly amazing to behold (whether riding in the cabin or watching from outside). Our test car also had Toyota's optional A-TRAC system, which can be activated with a switch on the dash and offers much of the same effect as a locking differential ? without any binding during tight turns at low speeds. In the months leading up to the FJ Cruiser's launch in March you'll hear much ado about the vehicle's off-road prowess. It may come off as hype, but trust us when we tell you ? it isn't.

Prowess has a price

With the FJ Cruiser hopping rough terrain like a frightened gazelle, you might expect on-road driving dynamics akin to a wounded ostrich. But if you've experienced any of the current-generation Land Cruisers, you know Toyota expects more from even its most capable boulder bashers. The FJ, like the Land Cruiser, is a highly affable mode of transport, even if you never go off-road. Seat comfort is superb, with supportive bolsters and a soft yet durable cloth. And despite its breadbox design there is little wind noise at speeds above 50 mph.

Steering response and braking confidence (it stopped from 60 mph in 126 feet) are also on par with even the most carlike SUVs currently available. Slalom speed was a mediocre 56 mph, but that's more a reflection of Toyota's overly aggressive stability control system than the FJ's lack of handling prowess, as it's really quite good ? for a 4,300-pound SUV.

But as already mentioned, don't look to the FJ as your minivan replacement. While second-row seating is spacious enough, getting into those seats requires both a high step-up and a contortionist dance, even with the rear doors open. And rear visibility is tanklike because of the wide C-pillar and tiny corner window that proves as effective as a solar-powered flashlight. We should further point out that front visibility also takes a hit due to the high hood line, making both parking maneuvers and off-road obstacle-spotting a tricky prospect.

We do approve of the interior design, which stays true to the original FJ philosophy by being straightforward and functional rather than overly stylized and littered with gimmicks (OK, the inclinomoter in the optional dash-top gauge cluster may be a little cheesy). We do wish Toyota (along with Acura and Jaguar) would lose the bulky gated shifter design, and the color-matched center stack may not work for everyone. But kudos to them for supplying an MP3 auxiliary input on even the base audio system, and for offering an optional power outlet package with a 115-volt, three-prong A/C outlet in the cargo area.

More to come

There's already talk of a "Moab" special-edition model that will feature the talents of Toyota's in-house tuner division, TRD. Beyond that there will be a full line of accessories covering everything from roof racks to rock rails to locking storage boxes and a removable Garmin "Quest 2" navigation unit. And that's just from Toyota. More than 60 aftermarket companies have already been given full access to preproduction FJ Cruisers, and you can bet they are all hard at work on their own lines of baubles and bolt-ons.

One thing's for sure, if Toyota only produces 46,000 in the first year and the price starts at less than $25,000, there will be more demand than supply, which will inevitably mean dealer markups and eBay auctions.

So, from that perspective, the FJ will be just like every other retro vehicle of the last decade.

Link with video:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...pageId=67603#20

Catman

After watching the video and seeing the way the suspension works, it actually looks pretty capable for a stock vehicle. B)

JYODER240

According to the vid, Toyota wasn't planning on building it but had "huge consumer response". People actually liked this thing?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Catman

QuoteAccording to the vid, Toyota wasn't planning on building it but had "huge consumer response". People actually liked this thing?
Why not, its unique and compared to a Wrangler it's more civilized and looks roomier.  I would imagine some toned down colors would quiet the peanut gallery some. :rage:  ;)  

Catman

I guess this Flat Hunter Green isn't making production. :(

JYODER240

QuoteAccording to the vid, Toyota wasn't planning on building it but had "huge consumer response". People actually liked this thing?
Why not, its unique and compared to a Wrangler it's more civilized and looks roomier.  I would imagine some toned down colors would quiet the peanut gallery some. :rage:  ;)
Thats true, but to me it looks too much like a toy truck i would have played with when I was little.

Catman

Those that have seen it in person really seem to like it.  I'll have to withhold judgment, but I can see what your saying.

Tom

I like it.  So what if it looks wierd?  

This is cool: "is available on 4x4 FJ Cruisers, as is a six-speed manual that includes a clutch start cancel feature. This allows you to start the engine without depressing the clutch, which can be a lifesaver when you've stalled on a steep incline and would rather not dance between the brake and clutch pedal as the vehicle rolls uncontrollably down a hill."

Although I wish they ditched that huge-ass sight-blocking pillar.

Tom

Wow, that's a fast car.  Will be interesting to see a Wrangler-Xterra-FJ comparo.

Run Away

Yeah all the Toyota SUVs are getting fast.

The Rav4 runs a 14.9 quarter mile....that's not cool when a soccer mom can outrun your brand new MX-5 by a car-lenght...

JYODER240

I still think I'd rather have a Wrangler or H3. But atleast its good to see Toyota making vehicles that arent extremely-conservative and boring.

Rupert

What's with the always locked diff in 4Lo on the 6spd?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

QuoteI guess this Flat Hunter Green isn't making production. :(

I'd like to put her into production.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

QuoteI guess this Flat Hunter Green isn't making production. :(

I'd like to put her into production.
:growup:

j/k , i just wanted to use that one and thought it might be tough with rag gone.

Mak450

I think it's kinda hideous, Impressive but hideous...

ocmdog

Too bad they aren't making that green. It actually looked decent for a minute. Oh well. I'd buy it over a Wrangler...for now...since the Wrangler will be all new next year.

Catman

The Silver looks decent. B)

93JC

I'll save you all from my scathing criticism for it and simply pass on this gussied-up Tacoma.

Raza

QuoteI'll save you all from my scathing criticism for it and simply pass on this gussied-up Tacoma.
Actually, criticize away.  I'm not partial to the vehicle, I'd like to hear it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

I'll save myself from tiresome tirades, and simply put it this way: the FJ Cruiser is Toyota's Hummer H2.

Rupert

Maybe so, but the FJ looks to be a real 4WD...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

I dig it. I would prefer one to a real Tacoma, there's so much more flavor in the exterior styling. It looks pretty rugged from the videos and the pictures I've seen.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tom

QuoteI'll save myself from tiresome tirades, and simply put it this way: the FJ Cruiser is Toyota's Hummer H2.
The problem is that they can't get away with selling a plain, classiclly styled truck because no one would buy it.  It needs to be flashy to get the attention of 20-some year old "outdoor" people, or atleast those who are going after the rugged image.  

What do you think of the old Toyota Pickup, Hilux, LC, or FJ?  

Raza

This thing is uglier than the Element.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

QuoteI'll save you all from my scathing criticism for it and simply pass on this gussied-up Tacoma.
Other than horrible styling, what makes it worse than a Wrangler? I know you're a Jeep fan which is bound to make you not like this vehicle too much, but I'm curious. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, I don't really care for this vehicle at all, it's just that I know your high opinion of Jeep, so I'm wondering why you have "scathing criticism" for a presumably (I don't know) equivilantly capable competitor.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Catman

As interesting as this thing is, I still think it offers no advantage over this.

Having four real doors seems like a better choice in itself.

93JC

QuoteMaybe so, but the FJ looks to be a real 4WD...
"Looks to be" being the key here. The Hummer H2 looks like a Hummer H1 ("a real 4WD").

QuoteThe problem is that they can't get away with selling a plain, classiclly styled truck because no one would buy it. It needs to be flashy to get the attention of 20-somethings "outdoor" people, or at least those who are going after the rugged image.

They could have made it attractive, but you're right, it needs to be "flashy" (ugly) to appeal to the kind of buyer who's into these kinds of things: 20-something yuppie suburbanites who want to look "outdoorsy" because it's "in".

The woman in this picture is the prototypical FJ Cruiser buyer:

20-something yuppie who wants to look outdoorsy: khaki pants, brown blouse, random leather bracelets on her wrists and forearms, leather necklace, running shoes. She's playing the part well, except she's still wearing liberal amounts of makeup and curled her hair...

QuoteWhat do you think of the old Toyota Pickup, Hilux, LC, or FJ?

The "Toyota Pickup" and Hilux are the same thing, first of all. I liked the pre-'85 models (in '85 they gave it an IFS). Overall they're vastly overrated though.

The Land Cruiser and "FJ" are the same thing too: the FJ was Land Cruiser. FJs were pretty cool trucks in their time. Built using much beefier parts than a comparable CJ-3, CJ-5 or CJ-7 (Willys used a lot of light-duty parts to keep the Jeep light, whereas Toyota, for whatever reason, decided to ignore the Japanese government's weight requirements and used much heavier medium-duty truck parts).

Still, you do know what "FJ" stands for, right?

"Fake Jeep"

At the very least Toyota did something unique, building a bigger, stronger truck (drivetrain-wise, anyway. Your average FJ has long since died from problems with everything else). Can't say the same for Land Rover: the original Series I prototype was a blatant copy of the Willys MB. It even used the MB's chassis.

QuoteOther than horrible styling, what makes it worse than a Wrangler? I know you're a Jeep fan which is bound to make you not like this vehicle too much, but I'm curious. I'm not trying to insult you or anything, I don't really care for this vehicle at all, it's just that I know your high opinion of Jeep, so I'm wondering why you have "scathing criticism" for a presumably (I don't know) equivilantly capable competitor.

Actually, I have a pretty low opinion of Jeep these days.

I don't like this new Toyota because it is a poseur. Yes, a poseur. If one were to make a comparison with a Jeep, its capability is equivalent to that of a Liberty, which is to say not particularly impressive whatsoever.

What makes it worse than a TJ? 2 ft longer, 8 in wider, 400-1000 lbs heavier, 1 ft longer wheelbase, smaller approach angle, larger turning radius, independent front suspension, etc.

And it's ugly.

Tom

QuoteThe "Toyota Pickup" and Hilux are the same thing, first of all.
Just trying to cover all the bases for the non-US people.  Besides, you couldn't get a diesel in the US "Pickup" after the mid 80s or so, while it remained common overseas in the Hilux.

What do you think about the Xterra?

93JC

QuoteJust trying to cover all the bases for the non-US people.  Besides, you couldn't get a diesel in the US "Pickup" after the mid 80s or so, while it remained common overseas in the Hilux.

You couldn't get a diesel in the US whatsoever, if I remember correctly.
In any case, up here Toyota doesn't even sell the Land Cruiser anymore.

I think the Xterra is essentially the same formula of cheesy looks and marketing in order to appeal to douchebags who think it's cool, just not quite as vulgar as the FJ Cruiser. Catman's right in noting the FJ Cruiser has absolutely no advantage over the Xterra.  

Tom

QuoteJust trying to cover all the bases for the non-US people.  Besides, you couldn't get a diesel in the US "Pickup" after the mid 80s or so, while it remained common overseas in the Hilux.

You couldn't get a diesel in the US whatsoever, if I remember correctly.
In any case, up here Toyota doesn't even sell the Land Cruiser anymore.

I think the Xterra is essentially the same formula of cheesy looks and marketing in order to appeal to douchebags who think it's cool, just not quite as vulgar as the FJ Cruiser. Catman's right in noting the FJ Cruiser has absolutely no advantage over the Xterra.
No, you could get a diesel in the US.  I just checked and it was untill '86.  A lot of them are running around on biodiesel.