Quick review: Honda Fit rental

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 30, 2016, 06:28:35 AM

12,000 RPM

Demon Civic got snagged in the Takata recall so I took it in this morning. My dealer ended their partnership with Enterprise and rents out Hondas. "Do you rent any stickshift cars?" "No :confused: Nobody can drive them" So anyway I got the Fit. Just quick impressions:

Good
- Handling is surprisingly awesome. Turn in is just about perfect and the balance is surprisingly neutral. I chased a Miata down an S shaped onramp and it only felt a little less secure than the Civic. It's much less nose heavy than the Civic. Spring/shock tuning feels just about perfect... there's plenty of compliance, but all the responses are very well controlled. Very digressive shock tuning. I'm impressed. I'd actually feel bad mucking with this suspension.
- Interior materials seem pretty high end, at least visually. You actually touch them and you see where the money was saved.
- Stereo is not bad.
- Got ~34 MPG driving in my usual fashion on my usual route. For reference the Civic has been getting ~26 MPG lately but something is up with the engine
- Roomy AF, back seat is deeper than the Civic easily.

Bad
- Still really ugly on the outside. Not a car I could fall in love with.
- Engine + CVT are pretty damn miserable. Each component wouldn't be bad in isolation... I think this could be interesting with the stickshift, and the CVT could be OK if the engine had some damn torque. But together they suck. Car feels really restrained.
- Radio setup is a little wonky. Took longer than I liked to pair my phone. I'm realizing the touchscreen stuff is not that bad though since they still have button controls on the steering wheel. Still stupid though.
- Wish the thigh cushion had more rearward tilt/thigh support. Flat like a dining chair.

All in all not terrible. If by some miracle they put the 1.5T in this with a stickshift and better seats I'd give this a serious look. Basically make a Fit ST Honda!!!
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

I almost bought one when they first came out. A base Fit LX I could have gotten for like 15,5 out the door.

the 1.5L is kinda gruff, unlike hondas of old that were butter smooth. This car is gruff AF. Also the CVT works well enough, but it won't let the motor rev very high.

Also, the Manual is nice, but the 6th gear is far too short and it's super buzzy.

12,000 RPM

It has that same agricultural "shit is there a spoon in the garbage compactor" sound as the 3 I drove. Pretty off putting but it mostly gets the job done. I find myself driving to manage fuel economy more thanks to that gauge. Not bad at all.

The steering is surprisingly excellent too. Weights up naturally and gives good feedback. I'm kind of shocked. Just a shame it's basically a mini CUV, there is no saving its proportions. They need a Fit "Coupe".

Cookie Monster

I thought you said looks don't matter, so why is it listed as a con?

That being said, I think a "Fit ST" would be a great idea.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Fit Si would be cool.  As well as a Mazdaspeed2.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 30, 2016, 10:53:18 AM
I thought you said looks don't matter, so why is it listed as a con?

That being said, I think a "Fit ST" would be a great idea.
Good looks don't make up for a bad (or specifically unreliable, which all evidence indicates the Giulia being) car. They still matter though. I wonder if the Fiesta feels this upright. That's something I don't think I could get used to.

Cookie Monster

My friend's ST doesn't feel very upright, but that may be partly due to the baller Recaros it's got.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 30, 2016, 06:28:35 AM
- Engine + CVT are pretty damn miserable. Each component wouldn't be bad in isolation... I think this could be interesting with the stickshift, and the CVT could be OK if the engine had some damn torque.

I had the same experience back in the day with the new Mercedes CVT transmission (called Autotronic) which was specifically made for the W169 A-Class and the W245 B-Class.

The transmission was absolutely horrible on all the gasoline-powered models with the exception of the A200 Turbo and B200 Turbo. On those two it was "ok". I once had to deliver a new B170 (gasoline) with this CVT transmission to a Mercedes' dealer about 70 km away. Driving that thing was pure torture. The B170 with a manual was pretty agile, but with the CVT it felt like the car was towing a 747 Jumbo Jet behind it. Agonizingly slow acceleration. Painful to drive.

With all of the diesel-powered models the CVT worked pretty well. The abundance of torque made the cars feel more "agile and spirited" than the torqueless gasoline-powered cars.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Yea, it's the combo of the lack of torque and gravelly engine note that do it in. Peak torque comes in around 5K RPM.... I don't even think the CVT revs that high lmao. I'm gonna try it in sport mode on the way home to see if response is any better (and to see how much that dings gas mileage). I'm sitting at 33 MPG now after driving from a few miles from home and going to the gym at lunch.

I'm definitely seeing the appeal of the Sonic now BGK. Still not crazy about this upright driving position, but man it just feels quick. The short wheelbase makes it feel so responsive even though I think the steering is no faster than the Civic. Really interesting.