E90 335i
5 (31.3%)
G35/G37 6MT sedan
5 (31.3%)
Fuck it :huh: Built R18 + turbo kit + drive Demon Civic into a pile of ashes
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

GoCougs

"Enthusiasts" hate the Camry because it makes them feel insecure (V6 model, esp. XSE model with paddle shifters) - I mean, imagine flitting about in your German "sports car" and having no choice but to see Camry tail lights when things get agro at a stoplight. Now add reliability and quality that is another universe, and it's not a good scene for some people.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on January 09, 2017, 07:58:32 AM
I actually understand the want for the Camry.  But don't talk about doing Evora cam swaps :lol:  You're going to ruin what you want, which is a reliable, comfortable ride for cheap.

Essentially that's what the 4Runner is to me.  Second car/motorcycle makes more sense than trying to get everything you want in one gulp.

You should build an Exocet.
The cams were a joke, but I do want tighter damping + less wheel gap + more grip. I think that's reasonable even on a Camry, and contrary to the peanut gallery's protests, will have zero effect on reliability. For the street a Camry V6 is fine, maybe even better than fine.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Char

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 07:18:02 AM
No, you don't. You can even be an interesting person and own a Camry, I assume. But you can't have an interesting car to drive and have a Camry if the Camry is your only car. You'll be bored of it in six weeks, try to rationalize money-draining mods for another 12 weeks, then want out in 6 months.

+100.

Honestly man, just buy the car you WANT the Camry to be, instead of trying to compromise it to be something it's not.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

If you're going to dump it in 2 years, why mod it at all? You'll never get your money back, especially given the average Camry buyer probably doesn't even know what a brake caliper is, let alone why a Highlander one is better.

Also, I still disagree with your point that motorcycle means that you don't need a fun car. I still enjoy hitting the twisties in my cars as much as I do on the bike. In fact, sometimes I enjoy it more because I am better at driving a car than riding a bike and can drive quicker without scaring the shit out of myself.

I don't know how good your sim rig is but I definitely couldn't replace driving with one of those.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

I don't understand the singleminded rationalization of 0-60 times. The Camry still has a pillowy suspension and Buick steering ratios.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Laconian on January 09, 2017, 10:26:41 AM
I don't understand the singleminded rationalization of 0-60 times. The Camry still has a pillowy suspension and Buick steering ratios.

Yeah, and if he doesn't need 4 wheel enjoyment since he has a motorcycle, why does he need the straight line speed? The motorcycle will still dust anything he can buy for $20k (unless he buys another motorcycle :lol: ).
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on January 09, 2017, 10:14:45 AM
+100.

Honestly man, just buy the car you WANT the Camry to be, instead of trying to compromise it to be something it's not.
And what car is that exactly, given my list of requirements?

It's not singleminded rationalization, just an important factor. It sucks to jump off the bike during riding season into the Civic, which is an absolute dog in warm/hot weather. Camry V6 will get the job done.

Suspension can be fixed, and steering ratios are fine (2.7 turns in the Civic vs 3.2 in the Camry).

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 09, 2017, 10:23:36 AM
If you're going to dump it in 2 years, why mod it at all? You'll never get your money back, especially given the average Camry buyer probably doesn't even know what a brake caliper is, let alone why a Highlander one is better.

Also, I still disagree with your point that motorcycle means that you don't need a fun car. I still enjoy hitting the twisties in my cars as much as I do on the bike. In fact, sometimes I enjoy it more because I am better at driving a car than riding a bike and can drive quicker without scaring the shit out of myself.

I don't know how good your sim rig is but I definitely couldn't replace driving with one of those.

Stop projecting your wants onto me. You enjoy hitting the twisties... OK. I don't drive unless I have somewhere to go. The idea of burning gas and spending time driving to nowhere is asinine to me. My modding makes about as much sense as your bike purchases... it's just what I like to do, it's not supposed to make financial sense. I like projects and tweaking shit. And if you ever find yourself in NC you are more than welcome to test my rig out.

You are you and I am me. I'm not asking you to replace your cars with a Camry, or do anything for that matter. Take a deep breath and chill out. It's going to be otay :lol:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2017, 11:40:11 AM
And what car is that exactly, given my list of requirements?
It's not singleminded rationalization, just an important factor. It sucks to jump off the bike during riding season into the Civic, which is an absolute dog in warm/hot weather. Camry V6 will get the job done.

Suspension can be fixed, and steering ratios are fine (2.7 turns in the Civic vs 3.2 in the Camry).

Stop projecting your wants onto me. You enjoy hitting the twisties... OK. I don't drive unless I have somewhere to go. The idea of burning gas and spending time driving to nowhere is asinine to me. My modding makes about as much sense as your bike purchases... it's just what I like to do, it's not supposed to make financial sense. I like projects and tweaking shit. And if you ever find yourself in NC you are more than welcome to test my rig out.

You are you and I am me. I'm not asking you to replace your cars with a Camry, or do anything for that matter. Take a deep breath and chill out. It's going to be otay :lol:

I'm not projecting my wants onto you. I'm just confused about why you want to mod the Camry in the first place. I brought up twisties because you said you take back roads to work, and the Camry would probably be a dog in that situation.

Also, legit question - how come you miss the straight line speed of the bike when you're in the Civic, but you won't miss other aspects (like actually being able to turn :lol: ) if you get a Camry?

Either way, you do you man. I'll just sit back and wait for the Camry build thread. :lol:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 09, 2017, 11:48:46 AM
I'm not projecting my wants onto you. I'm just confused about why you want to mod the Camry in the first place. I brought up twisties because you said you take back roads to work, and the Camry would probably be a dog in that situation.

Also, legit question - how come you miss the straight line speed of the bike when you're in the Civic, but you won't miss other aspects (like actually being able to turn :lol: ) if you get a Camry?

Either way, you do you man. I'll just sit back and wait for the Camry build thread. :lol:

I actually test drove a stock Camry SE V6 on one of the twisty legs of my commute. It wasn't the Civic or the Z but it wasn't bad either. I don't need both of my rides to corner carving thrillers.... I think more operating range would be good.

Why mod the Camry.... same reason I modded the 3 Accords, 2 Maximas and Civic I had/have. It's just what I do :huh: I like the way a car looks and handles when its lowered, which is why I have lowered all but 2 of the cars I've owned, with the first being because I didn't know how to or that it was an option, and the Z being low enough stock. I see the Camry on coils being no more ridiculous than the Maxima I had on coils, which was awesome, even on choppy ass NYC streets. Actually, that Maxima is probably closest to what I want, but it's too old/slow now, and comparable options to the Camry are too expensive.

Build is gonna be fun and completely ridiculous which is exactly why I want to do it. I think it's gonna come out kind of awesome as well.

68_427

Just buy the new one and keep it forever
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Waiting for Fortune Auto to do their thing.

Char

... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on January 09, 2017, 02:11:42 PM
Mazda 3 or 6. 3i rental I had sucked and was super disappointing. I'd rather the Civic Si or GTI in this class but I don't want to do this class again just yet
E91 CPO RWD is not enough to make up for worse reliability, tight rear seat for infant seat, premium gas
Accord Sport If I got another Accord it would be the V6 sedan

Raza

Dude, if you don't want an interesting car to drive, that's fine. Don't get one. I'm not telling you to.

And you keep comparing it to an Audi TT. I've actually driven both. The TT is a convertible spaceship with laser cannons compared to a Camry.

If you want cheap, reliable, quick transportation, that's fine. Just don't pretend that it's a few parts away from being a front engined Evora. That's just not how it works. And Mike is right; start messing around with it like that and you'll lose what you bought it for in the first place.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

If you want a fast, larger-ish car that's quick and reliable, there's always the Infiniti G. That's what it's there for.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Actually, you're missing a trick here. Just buy an SUV. Way more practical, and if fun doesn't matter, why buy a sedan at all?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 03:14:10 PM
If you want cheap, reliable, quick transportation, that's fine. Just don't pretend that it's a few parts away from being a front engined Evora.
I never said this, even jokingly (which is what mention of the Evora parts- which do fit by the way- were. Jokes)

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 03:14:10 PMThat's just not how it works. And Mike is right; start messing around with it like that and you'll lose what you bought it for in the first place.
What are you talking about man. Lose what exactly? Have you ever ridden in/driven/owned a modified car? The transformation is not that dramatic, but it's enough to enhance the driving experience.

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 03:18:06 PM
Actually, you're missing a trick here. Just buy an SUV. Way more practical, and if fun doesn't matter, why buy a sedan at all?
And what, pray tell, would an SUV give me over a Camry, considering

- 90% of my driving is alone w/no cargo (aka commuting)
- my wife will be getting an SUV and has a hatchback now
- even before my wife gets an SUV, we can and do borrow her mom's minivan
- Civic does fine in bad weather (I have driven it through 3 of our "snow storms")

I'll wait :popcorn:

A Camry on coilovers is hardly the end of the world. Everyone doesn't have to drive a bone stock stickshift German car. If you want an SUV you go buy one.

Cookie Monster

Please at least get the SE. The other trims are so boring looking.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Char

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2017, 06:18:16 PM
I never said this, even jokingly (which is what mention of the Evora parts- which do fit by the way- were. Jokes)

Turnabout is fair play.

What are you talking about man. Lose what exactly? Have you ever ridden in/driven/owned a modified car? The transformation is not that dramatic, but it's enough to enhance the driving experience.

Loads.  And you have a history of modifying cars to the point that they're undrivable and then selling them because you no longer like driving them.

And what, pray tell, would an SUV give me over a Camry, considering

- 90% of my driving is alone w/no cargo (aka commuting)
- my wife will be getting an SUV and has a hatchback now
- even before my wife gets an SUV, we can and do borrow her mom's minivan
- Civic does fine in bad weather (I have driven it through 3 of our "snow storms")

I'll wait :popcorn:

A Camry on coilovers is hardly the end of the world. Everyone doesn't have to drive a bone stock stickshift German car. If you want an SUV you go buy one.

Didn't realize that your wife will get an SUV herself.  But you'd hardly be the first family to own two SUVs.  Besides, if you are riding most of the time anyway and you don't enjoy driving anyway, what's the point of getting a pudding sedan and modifying it when you can get a CRV or something that's more practical for a small penalty in gas mileage and maybe none in drivability, and make it easier for when you have a kid. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Ok, but isn't the Accord basically a slightly sharper driving Camry?  Wouldn't that be a better start than trying to sharpen up the Camry?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 09, 2017, 06:20:53 PM
Please at least get the SE. The other trims are so boring looking.
Only visual differences between SE and non SEs are the spoiler, lip kit, wheels and grill.... I'd def do wheels and the spoiler, prob pass on the lip kit and grill.

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 06:55:36 PM
Turnabout is fair play.

Loads.  And you have a history of modifying cars to the point that they're undrivable and then selling them because you no longer like driving them.
:confused:
1st Maxima: blown tire, totaled
1st Accord: modded, fun, sold to move to BK
2nd Accord: too extreme, high miles (never should have bought in first place)
3rd Accord: high miles (never should have bought in first place)
2nd Maxima: modded, fun, great commuter, sold for medical expenses
Z: kept bone stock, fun until I had to commute with it
Civic: done, bored

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 03:14:10 PMDidn't realize that your wife will get an SUV herself.  But you'd hardly be the first family to own two SUVs.  Besides, if you are riding most of the time anyway and you don't enjoy driving anyway, what's the point of getting a pudding sedan and modifying it when you can get a CRV or something that's more practical for a small penalty in gas mileage and maybe none in drivability, and make it easier for when you have a kid. 
Oh brother. If I didn't enjoy driving, I wouldn't spend 1-2 hours a day sim racing. Not wanting to own a Raza-approved stickshift German car doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving. :pee:  :hammerhead:

Riding ~5000 miles a year out of the 20000 miles a year I drive <> "most". Wifey and grandma's cars will be the main rides for the kid... I just need something roomy enough for a child seat behind my 5' 11" wife that is still somewhat fun to drive. A CRV is absolutely zero fun to drive. Midsize Camry/Accord is 100% the best compromise.... I know it hurts to hear. The best I could do for you is maybe a Passat 3.6, but that's rife with problems itself.... pretty much the worst of various overlapping options

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 09, 2017, 07:00:24 PM
Ok, but isn't the Accord basically a slightly sharper driving Camry?  Wouldn't that be a better start than trying to sharpen up the Camry?
Stock, sure... with mods, it's all the same

Quote from: Char on January 09, 2017, 06:54:36 PM
Mazda 6.
1 gen is slow and rusty, 2nd gen is thirsty, ugly and crappy, 3rd gen is expensive and slow.

Raza

I don't recall saying you had to buy a stickshift German car.  What's right for me isn't necessarily right for you and I don't pretend that it is.

I actually think I told you to buy an Infiniti G a couple posts back.   :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 07:50:59 PM
I don't recall saying you had to buy a stickshift German car.  What's right for me isn't necessarily right for you and I don't pretend that it is.

I actually think I told you to buy an Infiniti G a couple posts back.   :huh:

What are you, some kind of smart ass? You think an Infiniti G actually makes more sense than a Camry for someone that enjoyed a 350Z but gave it up because it wasn't practical enough?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Guess what. Keep the Civic. None of this Camry shit makes any sense. Get a Speed Triple.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 09, 2017, 08:09:23 PM
What are you, some kind of smart ass? You think an Infiniti G actually makes more sense than a Camry for someone that enjoyed a 350Z but gave it up because it wasn't practical enough?