5 (31.3%)
G35/G37 6MT sedan
5 (31.3%)
Fuck it :huh: Built R18 + turbo kit + drive Demon Civic into a pile of ashes
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 17, 2017, 06:56:05 PM
I wonder how I look walking up to a Yellow Vette? I'll tell you! HAPPY!!! Who gives a shit what some hater in a clapped out 10 year old Impala thinks....

I get a lot of positive comments in the Z4, from people of all ages, races, and genders (well, not all, just the two).  But then again, I did have those vandalism problems (which I believe was more territorial than having to do with the car). 

I couldn't do yellow, though.  Too shouty and loud for my personality. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

I got hella compliments on the Z as well, but it still felt douchey to me.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2017, 06:53:00 PM
The look doesn't have to be part of it though; and ignoring the look is part of it too. I may suddenly start sounding eggheady here, so bear with me. Ego, in its real meaning is about the outward projection of yourself. Driving a no-nonsense sports car is a perfect example of this. Ego need not be about what others think, but about what you think of yourself.

I built the car as a tool for the track. A/C, carpets, stereo, etc are not needed on track. It spiraled out of control as a street car but once I stopped daily driving it and started riding my bike to work everyday I went crazy with it. It didn't have a header or stripped interior and still had A/C and a stereo till I bought my motorcycle and stopped driving the car.

Sometimes I just get sad that it sucks so much on the street, but it's not like I'm daily-ing a race car just to say that I am.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 17, 2017, 06:54:31 PM
Recently you did, but when you first did it you seemed proud from what I remember.

Even people who say they don't care about their cars image do care just by saying so and choosing a car that displays said lack of care.

I care. To me, this looks good. This is the image I want to give off.

[img]https://images.customwheeloffset.com/web/1212-4-2009-camry-toyota-dropped-1-3-str-601-silver-nearly-flush.jpg[img]

No normal person is going to see this and say "wow look at that douchebag". And people in the know will probably chuckle and shake their heads. But to me this strikes the balance of looking good without shouting about it.

So either way it's a lose-lose situation? By not caring you still care? :wtf:

I don't really care what my car looks like or projects to others. I like my car for the way it drives and handles. I do like a nice clean car, or a lowered car on nice wheels like what you've pictured, but I don't really care what the Miata looks like, hence why it's still dented up and dirty on dirty yellow wheels.

The motorcycle, on the other hand, I want everyone to see while I ride by. I don't know why, probably because you can buy a stupid fast liter bike that most people can't ride without killing themselves for a couple grand. Or the fact that you know you're the fastest person on the road riding a bike like that. Having all that power really feeds the ego.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 17, 2017, 06:56:05 PM
I wonder how I look walking up to a Yellow Vette? I'll tell you! HAPPY!!! Who gives a shit what some hater in a clapped out 10 year old Impala thinks....

Exactly! Glad someone gets it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on January 17, 2017, 03:42:53 PM
It's called "normcore", where hipsters are so hip that they pull a 360 and end up at their original rotation.

Oh yeah, I've heard that before.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2017, 10:54:45 AM
One thing being an aspiring Camry owner does not give one leave to do is to make fun actual cool cars.

He could maybe make fun of a Versa. Not much else, though.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 17, 2017, 07:15:27 PM
I built the car as a tool for the track. A/C, carpets, stereo, etc are not needed on track. It spiraled out of control as a street car but once I stopped daily driving it and started riding my bike to work everyday I went crazy with it. It didn't have a header or stripped interior and still had A/C and a stereo till I bought my motorcycle and stopped driving the car.

Sometimes I just get sad that it sucks so much on the street, but it's not like I'm daily-ing a race car just to say that I am.

So either way it's a lose-lose situation? By not caring you still care? :wtf:

I don't really care what my car looks like or projects to others. I like my car for the way it drives and handles. I do like a nice clean car, or a lowered car on nice wheels like what you've pictured, but I don't really care what the Miata looks like, hence why it's still dented up and dirty on dirty yellow wheels.

The motorcycle, on the other hand, I want everyone to see while I ride by. I don't know why, probably because you can buy a stupid fast liter bike that most people can't ride without killing themselves for a couple grand. Or the fact that you know you're the fastest person on the road riding a bike like that. Having all that power really feeds the ego.

You built a tool for the track because you wanted a tool for the track.

That's ego. I get the feeling you think this is a bad thing. It's not. That's why I tried to explain what I meant
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 17, 2017, 07:00:00 PM
I got hella compliments on the Z as well, but it still felt douchey to me.

Japanese cars are inherently douchey because of the ricer baggage they carry. 

:dance:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on January 17, 2017, 06:59:12 PM
I get a lot of positive comments in the Z4, from people of all ages, races, and genders (well, not all, just the two).  But then again, I did have those vandalism problems (which I believe was more territorial than having to do with the car). 

I couldn't do yellow, though.  Too shouty and loud for my personality. 

Well, a Z4 would look terrible in yellow anyway.

I would totally rock a yellow Elise though, for example. 'Vettes look good in yellow too, though I'd probably go for a blue one.

And when I was considering consolidating vehicles into a Wrangler, I wanted the neon green.

That said, a few years ago, I was a little self conscious about driving the S2000 just because I looked younger then and I imagined people viewing me as some spoiled kid. Now that both myself and the car are a little older, I don't think I look out of place driving it anymore.

Even now, I sometimes avoid mentioning the S2000 to people in Boulder because a lot of people my age struggle to make ends meet and I don't want to come off as if I'm bragging. But that wouldn't keep me from driving it somewhere to avoid being seen in it, and I certainly don't outright lie about it. If it's relevant to a conversation, I usually just call it "my little sports car," and if people care for more details, they'll ask.

Eye of the Tiger

Recently you did, but when you first did it you seemed proud from what I remember.

Even people who say they don't care about their cars image do care just by saying so and choosing a car that displays said lack of care.

No normal person is going to see this and say "wow look at that douchebag". And people in the know will probably chuckle and shake their heads. But to me this strikes the balance of looking good without shouting about it.

Actually, douchebag is exactly what I think when I see that :lol:
I don't like that at all.

CALL_911

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 17, 2017, 08:20:50 PM
Actually, douchebag is exactly what I think when I see that :lol:
I don't like that at all.

Agreed. Either that or Mexican

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Yep.  And the tinted headlights and taillights just doubles down on the douche.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 17, 2017, 08:23:15 PM
Agreed. Either that or Mexican

Almost. Needs chrome portholes on the fender to be Mexican.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MrH on January 17, 2017, 08:30:39 PM
Yep.  And the tinted headlights and taillights just doubles down on the douche.
WHY DO PEOPLE TINT HEADLIGHTS? That shit played out back in the 80s..........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 17, 2017, 09:28:03 PM
WHY DO PEOPLE TINT HEADLIGHTS? That shit played out back in the 80s..........

If you really don't want lights, wouldn't it be easier to just leave them turned off, or perhaps remove the bulbs to avoid any temptation?

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Gotta-Qik-C7

Cookie Monster

Lol POS El Camino can't even stay parked without breaking down and smoking. Camry is obviously better. :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 17, 2017, 11:09:51 PM
Lol POS El Camino can't even stay parked without breaking down and smoking. Camry is obviously better. :devil:

Knocked a cone over cuz it's so ugly, too.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 17, 2017, 04:21:51 PM
All jokes aside, I did feel like a dbag walking up to the Z sometimes. I do prefer to keep a low profile. I don't want a car that says anything about me, which is part of why I kind of don't like German cars. I don't want to be "that guy".

I never felt like a dbag, but I will say one thing I like about my new car is that it is a lot quieter looking than the S4. Non-car people see it as an economy car. I used to get people talking to me about my Audi all the time (Oh, is it a V8??? How much power does it have????) even though there was nothing particularly special about it (other than the way it looked and it was a German sedan).

Tave

I can dig variety for its own sake. If it makes you happy that's all that matters.

Still think it'll handle like a Camry without enough suspension travel, which is to say like crap without the tradeoff in comfort. I never liked the Camry interior, either.

My gut reaction looking at those pictures is, "Oh, that must've started out as a birthday gift to a teenager with too much disposable income."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 18, 2017, 06:22:59 PM
I can dig variety for its own sake. If it makes you happy that's all that matters.

Still think it'll handle like a Camry without enough suspension travel, which is to say like crap without the tradeoff in comfort. I never liked the Camry interior, either.

My gut reaction looking at those pictures is, "Oh, that must've started out as a birthday gift to a teenager with too much disposable income."

They do have a "hand-me-down gone wrong" vibe to it.  Like when my neighbor gave his step-son his old A4 1.8T convertible and he put cheap Sears Tire Center chrome wheels on it and tinted the windows. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

I think that image says "I got stuck with a Camry and am trying to make the best of it"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: 68_427 on January 17, 2017, 10:32:38 PM

Better, but all of those rims are too big and most of the body kits look dumb.

68_427

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 18, 2017, 09:11:35 PM
Better, but all of those rims are too big and most of the body kits look dumb.

Agree the wheels are too big, but I was just trying to make a point that lowering a Camry doesn't have to look douchey.  Although I think it helps that all except the wheels on the first white one are completely OEM Toyota parts.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

93JC

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 17, 2017, 09:28:03 PM
WHY DO PEOPLE TINT HEADLIGHTS?

I imagine those people are all big fans of Stevie Wonder and/or Ray Charles and have always wanted to know what it's like to not be able to see shit.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i