Buying a car from Costco?

Started by veeman, September 07, 2016, 08:10:26 AM

veeman

My in-laws bought a new 2016 Lexus RX over the weekend.  The way they spec'd it out MSRP was around 52 G.  They were going to various local Lexus dealers who were giving something like 2500 off MSRP but really low balling them on their Acura RDX trade in (7 G) and wouldn't budge.  An Acura dealer would give them 9 G on the trade in but they didn't want a new Acura. 

I know you can rent cars through Costco but didn't know you could buy cars through them.  The Costco in their neighborhood said they work with only one Lexus dealer located in Boston about a 3 hour drive from them.  That dealer sold them the Lexus they wanted for 5 G off MSRP and gave them 9.5 G for their trade in.

I gotta check this Costco car buying thing out when I'm ready to buy.  Any of you have any experience with them?

Lebowski

My local Costco has toyotas and Lexus I think. I would be really curious to know what kind of prices they can get vs msrp, and I imagine it would be less hassle than a dealership.

I haven't used it, though. When I got the 4Runner I just went through the local dealer.

12,000 RPM

I didn't know they carry Lexus. We only have BJs here; not sure if they partner with anybody.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

I know someone who bought an A4 through Costco and said it was painless
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Yes. It's a no-hassle way to get a "good deal". Not the best deal, but a good deal. You tell the dealer that you're shopping through the Costco auto program, and they'll pull out a three ring binder with prices in black and white.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Maybe I'll tell the salesman to show me the Costco three ring binder when they quote me a price?  (I don't have Costco membership.  I can't stand their huge size, huge portions (I just want a peach.  Not a crate of them), and limited hours).

Laconian

You're supposed to organize the meeting in advance, but it couldn't hurt to try?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT