The new Supra

Started by Payman, September 07, 2016, 08:34:16 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on January 14, 2019, 08:30:04 AM
+ a backseat.

I think the corvette is around this price, as well as the GT350, ZL1, maybe even the 718 Cayman

Yeah, I think a Corvette or Boxster/Cayman is a better choice. Top-end Mustang or Camaro if you are ok with a bigger car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

Quote from: Rich on January 14, 2019, 08:31:50 AM
I can see why Toyota did it. You get a fun car with more power that the 86 buyer could upgrade to at bargain basement investment.

If it doesn't sell, no skin off Toyota's back.

I also find it interesting they chose Detroit to unveil it. Not LA, Tokyo, Geneva. Could have been a timing thing, an agreement with BMW, or a message to the Detroit 3
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SJ_GTI

It looks good IMHO. I don't see myself buying this type of car myself but I can see the draw.

BimmerM3

I wonder how much maintenance for a Supra at a Toyota dealership will cost compared to the Z4 at a BMW dealership. :lol:

CaminoRacer

On the exterior, I think the back looks pretty good. The ducktail looks odd at certain angles, but I like the idea of it. What I don't like are the headlights. It looks like they're throwing back to the last Supra, but it makes it look like a late 2000s retro throwback instead of a 2020 design.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

The headlights look like they have long tear ducts.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

3200lbs base I've read.  97" wheelbase and lower cg than the 86 twins.  IDK I guess you're getting a weird looking Z4 coupe without the badge, but all the quality and expensive maintenance
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

The more I think about it the less sense it makes. Whoever brought up the price point competitors makes a very good point. Supra... or GT350, 718 Cayman, Corvette Stingray, M2 Comp.... like when a Porsche is a better value proposition you dun goofed
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 14, 2019, 10:41:09 AM
The more I think about it the less sense it makes. Whoever brought up the price point competitors makes a very good point. Supra... or GT350, 718 Cayman, Corvette Stingray, M2 Comp.... like when a Porsche is a better value proposition you dun goofed

If you want a Z4, but find it horribly proportioned, then you can get a Supra with better proportions but weird details and a worse badge.

Take that case study Harvard Business School!
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BimmerM3

I'd be surprised if the Cayman is really a better value proposition once you factor in maintenance costs and depreciation, even considering BMW internals.

I bet this ends up holding it's value way better than the Z4 just because of the Toyota and Supra badges.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Submariner on January 14, 2019, 10:45:25 AM
If you want a Z4, but find it horribly proportioned, then you can get a Supra with better proportions but weird details.

Take that case study Harvard Business School!

If you want a Z4, you probably want it at least in part because it's a convertible, so I don't think the Supra is a suitable alternative.

r0tor

This is the result of spending 5 years fucking up a great concept car.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

I feel that there's like one executive in the Toyota board room who keeps lobbying for sports cars, but nobody else wants to commit any design resources for it, and the best he can get them to agree to is rebadging other company's vehicles.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 14, 2019, 10:47:48 AM
I'd be surprised if the Cayman is really a better value proposition once you factor in maintenance costs and depreciation, even considering BMW internals.

I bet this ends up holding it's value way better than the Z4 just because of the Toyota and Supra badges.

The only Supras that have held their values are the MkIV.  This is because the engine in those was known to have huge running potential because the bottom end was so overbuilt.  I really don't see the JDM tuner crowd getting 800+ hp out of the BMW engine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

Until Toyota finds a way to dump the 5.0 RCF engine in this thing, the car has no real reason to exist or competitive advantage.  Let's not kid ourselves, the Supra's legacy is built off of its engine.

2o6

This car looks so bad.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on January 14, 2019, 12:16:54 PM
The only Supras that have held their values are the MkIV.  This is because the engine in those was known to have huge running potential because the bottom end was so overbuilt.  I really don't see the JDM tuner crowd getting 800+ hp out of the BMW engine.

"Toyota" vs "BMW" alone is probably enough to change people's perceptions on resale. People are stupid.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2019, 11:42:20 AM
I feel that there's like one executive in the Toyota board room who keeps lobbying for sports cars, but nobody else wants to commit any design resources for it, and the best he can get them to agree to is rebadging other company's vehicles.

That guy is their CEO, Akio Toyoda. He's the guy behind the "aggressive" new Camry & Avalon. He wants Toyotas to be fun again.

Problem of course is in execution. But I'd rather this than the domestic way, which is to have all the best and brightest home ship engineers tied up in a small volume "passion" project while the rest of the lineup whithers on the vine. I think a strong case could be made for this happening at Ford and GM with the GT and Corvette Zora....... and to a degree maybe even the Mustang and Camaro. If this thing bombs it's no financial sweat off Toyota's back. But again if you're not gonna do the Supra name right, why bother at all?

Soup DeVille

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?adtypeFacet=Vehicles+for+Sale&makeFacet=Toyota&modelFacet%5B%5D=Supra&range_zip=&distance=&price_min=&price_max=&year_min=&year_max=&categoryFacet=&country=&q=

Some of the older ones are looking like they're on the rise.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

I think I'd even be ok if they made this car a 2+2. That would give it more distance between it and the Z4.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 14, 2019, 01:15:16 PM
That guy is their CEO, Akio Toyoda. He's the guy behind the "aggressive" new Camry & Avalon. He wants Toyotas to be fun again.

Problem of course is in execution. But I'd rather this than the domestic way, which is to have all the best and brightest home ship engineers tied up in a small volume "passion" project while the rest of the lineup whithers on the vine. I think a strong case could be made for this happening at Ford and GM with the GT and Corvette Zora....... and to a degree maybe even the Mustang and Camaro. If this thing bombs it's no financial sweat off Toyota's back. But again if you're not gonna do the Supra name right, why bother at all?

I think the potential damage is "Toyota is willing to pass off rebadged Subarus and BMW as their own." The 86 got away with it largely because it started life as a Scion, and didn't directly reuse an older badge.

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2019, 01:56:02 PM
I think the potential damage is "Toyota is willing to pass off rebadged Subarus and BMW as their own." The 86 got away with it largely because it started life as a Scion, and didn't directly reuse an older badge.

Maybe, but I like to think that the buyers of the Zupr4, Toyobaru, and Fiata know these are collaboration cars and are more than okay with that, because they know in this day and age it's the only way for them to exist at all.

12,000 RPM

The Toyobaru and Fiata got a pass because they are compelling options at their price points. For $30K, if you don't want a 3600lb pony car, they are basically it. And they are good.

This at $50-60K............................. good luck :ohyeah: Even at $40K I think it would have had the 370Z's problem.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Xer0 on January 14, 2019, 01:00:57 PM
Until Toyota finds a way to dump the 5.0 RCF engine in this thing, the car has no real reason to exist or competitive advantage.  Let's not kid ourselves, the Supra's legacy is built off of its engine.

2JZ engine, no shit.

Payman

I don't know why Renault didn't collaborate with Nissan with the Alpine a110, giving us a new Z car (180Z?). With production costs driven down by volume, a 2432 lb Nissan Z in the mid-30K range would have been awesome. An Alpine for NA markets. Even better, if Nissan used their own 2.4l engine in the 275-300hp range. Rebirth of the 240Z.

Eye of the Tiger

Yeah, this ain't no ten second car. Maybe a ten minute car.

r0tor

Why does it not even have the power of the z4?  Good grief this is a waste of a badge revival
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Oh wait... It has wireless Apple Carplay.  So all should now be forgiven!

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/14/2020-toyota-supra-wireless-carplay/