The new Supra

Started by Payman, September 07, 2016, 08:34:16 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on January 14, 2019, 02:46:31 PM
Why does it not even have the power of the z4?  Good grief this is a waste of a badge revival
Last year's engines?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Onslaught

I think it's ugly. I also think it's overpriced. And it's not even a Toyota.

I know the mechanics won't be looking forward to them. When you work at a dealership you do so because you like or at the very least are good at working on that brand of car. You do not enjoy working on other brands.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Soup DeVille

Why does it not even have the power of the z4?  Good grief this is a waste of a badge revival

Why would BMW make the Toyota faster than their own vehicle?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on January 14, 2019, 03:12:56 PM
I think it's ugly. I also think it's overpriced. And it's not even a Toyota.

I know the mechanics won't be looking forward to them. When you work at a dealership you do so because you like or at the very least are good at working on that brand of car. You do not enjoy working on other brands.

Yeah, I'm sure this thing doesn't use any of the common Toyota parts like filters, which means the dealerships are going to have to stock some Supra-exclusive consumables.  BMW is also notorious for requiring proprietary tools.  I remember a former college professor going on a rant because the battery on his X5 was buried under a cover in the cargo area and required some kind of special wrench to open the compartment.  Hopefully Toyota was at least able to use their own SW in the engine control so techs can plug in using existing tools if they need to do stuff like reset oil life monitors and whatnot.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2019, 01:26:42 PM
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?adtypeFacet=Vehicles+for+Sale&makeFacet=Toyota&modelFacet%5B%5D=Supra&range_zip=&distance=&price_min=&price_max=&year_min=&year_max=&categoryFacet=&country=&q=

Some of the older ones are looking like they're on the rise.

Still far from the MkIVs.  When you've got MKII and IIIs going for ~12-15K and MkIVs going for 4-10x that despite only being a couple of years newer...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

The last successful Japanese badge revival was the Z.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 14, 2019, 04:53:35 PM
The last successful Japanese badge revival was the Z.

Because Nissan wisely priced it competitively with the Mustang GT which, until the 5.0 hit in '11, was a comparable performer (at best).
Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

The E86 M was around $50k wasn't it?  This is basically a new version of that car for the same price?  The interior will be better than every competitor mentioned save for the Cayman.  I just really don't see a problem with the price.  It's a BMW Z4 coupe with a B58 for $50k.  Cars are expensive these days.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: MX793 on January 14, 2019, 08:21:37 AM
The entire center console looks like it was designed for RHD.

Quote from: Rich on January 14, 2019, 05:24:37 AM
Isn't the grab handle supposed to be on the other side of the console?  LOL

"FWIW the design intent was to have a narrow, focused driver's cockpit with ample bracing for one's knee in high-G cornering whereas the passenger side was designed to be open and spacious. Interior designers rode along in 86s during the ADAC 24h race at Nurburging to see how the driver interacts the the interior during race conditions."

This is supposedly why the interior is laid out how it is.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

The exterior styling is just bizarre. However it does come across as something sporty so I guess it didn't fail in that regard. But honestly it looks like someone took a C-HR, ripped out the rear doors, flattened it, shrunk it and remodeled the headlights and so forth. Bizarre!

The interior design looks Toyotaish, even with the BMW switchgear. Anyone else notice that the infotainment software is also straight out of a BMW?

The first reviews are gonna be interesting. Now's the time to go to a Toyota Forum and check out the reactions there.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Whoa, the new Supra is a bargain!  :thumbsup:

That $121,000 Toyota Supra Is Back Up For Sale...For Half A Million Dollars

Remember that pristine 1994 Toyota Supra we told you about earlier this month? It's back up for sale for a staggering $500,000 (£392,835 / €438,737).

Listed by Chicago Northside Toyota, the dealership is asking someone pay a markup of $379,000 (£297,713 / €332,625). That's a huge ask considering the car sold for $121,000 (£95,024 / €106,195) on January 3rd and doesn't suddenly come with a Ferrari stuffed in the truck.

So what explains the massive markup? Apparently the dealer's "market value pricing" philosophy which is plastered on all their used vehicle listings.

According to the dealer, they use "real-time Internet price comparisons to constantly adjust prices to provide ALL BUYERS the ""BEST MARKET VALUE"" vehicle's (sic) possible." That seems a bit dubious as the one of the best ways to judge real-time internet prices might be an online auction, perhaps one where the car sold for $121,000 (£95,024 / €106,195)...

While the listing doesn't show pictures of the Supra, it notes the car is a "recent arrival" and wears VIN JT2JA82J8R0017477. That same VIN was listed on the Bring a Trailer auction, so it means the cars are the same – barring some sort of typo.

We've reached out to Chicago Northside Toyota to confirm the price is accurate and the Supra is indeed the same one that was sold earlier this month. We haven't heard back, as of yet, but we'll update this post if they respond.

The massive price tag is hard to fathom, but it's possible the dealership simply bought the car to help promote the 2020 Supra and is keeping the price artificially high to dissuade would-be buyers. That remains to be seen, but fans of the new car could buy ten for the price of this particular model.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/121k-toyota-supra-back-sale-500k/

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Good for them, hope they get spanked by the market

FoMoJo

I see that they're auctioning the first 2020 Supra at Barrett-Jackson as a feature charity car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Whoever wrote that article needs to (sic) themselves. 

FoMoJo

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on January 15, 2019, 07:37:02 PM
The E86 M was around $50k wasn't it?  This is basically a new version of that car for the same price?  The interior will be better than every competitor mentioned save for the Cayman.  I just really don't see a problem with the price.  It's a BMW Z4 coupe with a B58 for $50k.  Cars are expensive these days.

The E85/6 M cars came out 13 years ago.  The automotive landscape has changed in that time.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MexicoCityM3

This may turn out to be the best driving BMW available.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

:lol:

BMW Zupra: Here's What The New Toyota Supra Looks Like With A BMW Z4 Face

While the BMW Z4 and the all-new Toyota Supra share a common platform, as well as multiple components and even engines, they do look way more different than, let's say, a Subaru BRZ and a Toyota 86 do.
But then again, one (Z4) is a roadster, and the other (Supra), a coupe. So, what would happen if they also shared the same bodystyle?

As you know, the new Z4 was first to the table, featuring a wide twin-kidney grille design for the front, large air intakes, sweptback headlights and a dynamically-styled hood. The Supra, on the other hand, has an even more aggressive-looking front fascia, with massive teardrop headlights and flared wheel arches.

BMW didn't really take any massive risks with the profile and rear end design of its latest Z4. The German roadster has sharp yet clean lines, while the L-shaped taillights add more visual width to the rear end, helping the car seem more planted.

Toyota went another way with the Supra, giving it a more distinctive form factor, with powerful rear wheel arches to mirror the front ones and a more "exotic" rear pillar design, if you will. It looks more like a supercar than the BMW Z4, which was probably the plan all along.

But what if someone took the Supra's aggressive rear end and combined it with the Z4's more...PG-13 front fascia? Well, it so happens that someone did, with designer Kleber Silva mixing the two models together to create the BMW Supra, or the Toyota Z4, whichever works for you.

The end result is, let's say interesting, as it makes you think about what a hypothetical BMW Z4 Coupe could look like. Otherwise, the two design languages don't blend as well as one might initially think, which is evident as soon as you look at the rear, the creases on the hood and the shape of the front spoiler.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/heres-new-toyota-supra-looks-like-bmw-z4-face/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 20, 2019, 07:22:35 AM
This may turn out to be the best driving BMW available.

And the most reliable. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 20, 2019, 06:49:20 AM
I guess someone likes it...First 2020 Toyota Supra Sold for $2.1 Million at Barrett-Jackson

Every year some rich bastard looking for a tax write off pays an obnoxious amount of money for something not worth it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on January 20, 2019, 08:17:26 AM
Every year some rich bastard looking for a tax write off pays an obnoxious amount of money for something not worth it
And you get furiously jealous every time lol

Dude at R&T has an idea for the Supra

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a25949060/new-toyota-supra-should-have-been-suv-crossover/

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on January 20, 2019, 08:17:26 AM

Anyone remotely rich enough to pay such a price does not think like this, let alone do this.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2019, 06:09:49 PM
Anyone remotely rich enough to pay such a price does not think like this, let alone do this.

Every year this happens when someone pays 50-100x sticker price for a charity car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on January 21, 2019, 02:40:33 PM
Every year this happens when someone pays 50-100x sticker price for a charity car

The tax write off might make it more reasonable than the sale amount, but that doesn't mean they're doing for the tax write off.

Just to make the math easy, let's say their marginal tax rate is 50%. They're not going to spend $2M at a charity auction just to save $1M in taxes because that still amounts to spending $1M on a car.

They do it because there's perceived value in owning the first of something.

93JC

Hmm, well after digesting this a little bit I'm kind of at a loss for words. The interior is okay, a little boring maybe, but the exterior is a mess. The details are just... bad. There's no other word or superlative for it, just 'bad'. The ducktail spoiler looks awful to me, too tall and narrow. The nose isn't a nose so much as a proboscis.

I don't 'get' this car. I don't understand why Toyota would agree to have it made. The Supra should be a halo car for them, something to show off their engineering chops with à la Corvette, but you have nothing to show for when a business partner makes the car for you with their own parts.

It's like a Fiat 124 Spider, but at least a Fiat 124 Spider has a Fiat engine, know what I mean? It's not "just a Miata in drag". A car like this has to be special to really 'work' as a halo car, but this isn't 'special' at all: it's just a BMW in drag.

TL;DR: meh

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on January 21, 2019, 05:06:51 PM
Hmm, well after digesting this a little bit I'm kind of at a loss for words. The interior is okay, a little boring maybe, but the exterior is a mess. The details are just... bad. There's no other word or superlative for it, just 'bad'. The ducktail spoiler looks awful to me, too tall and narrow. The nose isn't a nose so much as a proboscis.

I don't 'get' this car. I don't understand why Toyota would agree to have it made. The Supra should be a halo car for them, something to show off their engineering chops with à la Corvette, but you have nothing to show for when a business partner makes the car for you with their own parts.

It's like a Fiat 124 Spider, but at least a Fiat 124 Spider has a Fiat engine, know what I mean? It's not "just a Miata in drag". A car like this has to be special to really 'work' as a halo car, but this isn't 'special' at all: it's just a BMW in drag.

TL;DR: meh

:hesaid:

tl;dr: toyota is fucktarded
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

I cars like these are the reason I don't give a fuck about cars anymore. This isn't a Toyota, it's a BMW. And this is happening more and more.

Cars cost too fucking much. I hear "with inflation it's the same as the last Supra." Well you know what? It cost too fucking much too. That's why it failed.

RX-7's, Supra, 300Z and the fat ass 3000GT all priced themselves out of their market. I'm not paying this much for a Japanese sports car unless it's an NSX.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 21, 2019, 02:53:58 PM
The tax write off might make it more reasonable than the sale amount, but that doesn't mean they're doing for the tax write off.

Just to make the math easy, let's say their marginal tax rate is 50%. They're not going to spend $2M at a charity auction just to save $1M in taxes because that still amounts to spending $1M on a car.

They do it because there's perceived value in owning the first of something.
Barret Jackson charity cars are a politically correct dick measuring contest.  Nobody bidding more then 150k thought of it as an investment.  They outbid each other to show one another up and then get 50% of the money back.

CaminoRacer

I'd agree that some might bid to show off, but you don't buy things to save money.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 21, 2019, 06:30:32 PM
I'd agree that some might bid to show off, but you don't buy things to save money.
Typically, they end up in museums.