So I might also be getting a new car next year...

Started by Vinsanity, September 12, 2016, 08:33:41 PM

just testing out the waters. list may be completely different next year

2013 Lexus GS350
2 (18.2%)
2014 Infiniti Q50
1 (9.1%)
2015 Hyundai Genesis
0 (0%)
2016 BMW 428i GT (lease)
4 (36.4%)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T (wildcard!)
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Vinsanity

...maybe.

I brought the Caddy home from the mechanic today. Misfire caused by bad ignition coils and o2 sensors. 6 months ago, the car was in for coolant leaking from the thermostat and radiator hoses. 18 months before that, oil was leaking from the valve cover gaskets. It sounds a little worse listing everything one after another, but the writing's on the wall. Time to at least consider a new car.

And though I've been an Alpha Caddy cheerleader since the current lineup came out, these repairs are leaving a sour taste in my mouth, wanting something different. $30k budget. Probably something Japanese (though not an IS250 unless I can be convinced they're not frustratingly slow), or at least not GM or European (with a specific exception*). Bike is my "Miata", so new car should have a usable rear seat. I like the idea of sticking to RWD. That said, I feel like I'm leaving quite a few options out from my list. Thus, the early poll.

* specific exception: lease a BMW 4-series GT. Complimentary maintenance along with returning the car after its warranty period is a tempting idea. $369/mo lease specials on 2016 models are well within budget.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Challenger! In Plum Crazy Purple with White Hockey Stripes......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MexicoCityM3

A bit confused: 4 series GC or 3 series GT.

The 3GT would probably be my pick for a DD if it was sold here. Great space and good dynamics.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Vinsanity

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 12, 2016, 08:59:57 PM
A bit confused: 4 series GC or 3 series GT.

The 3GT would probably be my pick for a DD if it was sold here. Great space and good dynamics.

sorry, looks like I meant 4-series GC. I like the 4-door liftback body style, but I still have no idea why BMW has so many variations of it in their lineup.

68_427

Scat Pack

That is if you can afford child support from all the unprotected sex you'll be having.  If not then 340i for sure.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 12, 2016, 09:30:59 PM
sorry, looks like I meant 4-series GC. I like the 4-door liftback body style, but I still have no idea why BMW has so many variations of it in their lineup.
That lease rate makes it a no brainer then. That would cost 3X as much to lease here at least.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

GS is a completely competent, if uninspiring in every way, car to choose. Not a bad choice at all, but it won't set your hair alight. My brother considered one before he got his S4, but even by his standards it wasn't very engaging. If you have kids and shit, it's probably a good choice though. IS350 would probably be better if you don't.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on September 13, 2016, 08:14:58 AM
GS is a completely competent, if uninspiring in every way, car to choose. Not a bad choice at all, but it won't set your hair alight. My brother considered one before he got his S4, but even by his standards it wasn't very engaging. If you have kids and shit, it's probably a good choice though. IS350 would probably be better if you don't.

Though it's not listed in the poll, I'll continue to keep the IS350 under consideration. 2014 IS350's go for around the same price as 2013 GS350's, so although it's better looking, it's a bit of a tough sell.

veeman

I have a brother in law (I have lots of brother in laws) who very recently turned in his lease on a Lexus GS hybrid.  I've driven it a few times.  It's got a beautiful interior and it rides great.  I like the recent Lexus Predator face styling language too.  It's likely to be more reliable than your Caddy too at higher mileage.

Regarding your BMW lease rate.  My guess is that low a rate would likely require a high down payment and low annual mileage cap.  The low annual mileage cap may not be a problem for you; I don't know.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 13, 2016, 08:21:16 AM
Though it's not listed in the poll, I'll continue to keep the IS350 under consideration. 2014 IS350's go for around the same price as 2013 GS350's, so although it's better looking, it's a bit of a tough sell.

Do you need the extra space? The IS is tight in the back compared to the class, so I could understand going for the GS if that's a consideration.

Though, it's probably better than the Challenger.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: veeman on September 13, 2016, 08:28:28 AM
Regarding your BMW lease rate.  My guess is that low a rate would likely require a high down payment and low annual mileage cap.  The low annual mileage cap may not be a problem for you; I don't know.

$4300 due at signing, 12,000 miles per year. I've put well under 10,000 miles on the car ever since I got the bike last year.

Quote from: Raza  on September 13, 2016, 08:30:41 AM
Do you need the extra space? The IS is tight in the back compared to the class, so I could understand going for the GS if that's a consideration.

Not a must-have, but it would come in handy fairly often.

MrH

I thought $370/month was with zero down.  $4300?  Woof.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

RomanChariot

Quote from: MrH on September 13, 2016, 09:05:04 AM
I thought $370/month was with zero down.  $4300?  Woof.

Yeah, assuming that is a 3 year lease, the equivalent monthly payment is closer to $500.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on September 13, 2016, 08:30:41 AM

The 2014 IS redesign did improve the rear seat, though it's still not at GS levels.

12,000 RPM

Only one answer.... the one with the stickshift and the 6 banger
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CJ

Get the Lexus with an extended warranty and call it a day.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 13, 2016, 02:35:50 PM
Only one answer.... the one with the stickshift and the 6 banger

uh, which one would that be?

12,000 RPM

dazzleman

Dude, you need the Challenger.  You've been getting complacent and losing your edge, and the Challenger might help get you back in the game.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on September 14, 2016, 03:46:58 AM
Dude, you need the Challenger.  You've been getting complacent and losing your edge, and the Challenger might help get you back in the game.

Says the guy who bought a VW instead of the 300 SRT I told you to buy, or the Hellcat you could buy.
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Dave likes to egg me on like that little devil on your shoulder he's kinda right tho  :(

Vinsanity

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 14, 2016, 12:48:42 AM
335i homie

eh, I may consider leasing a 340. But I otherwise wouldn't want anything to do with a BMW turbo 6 at this point.

Vinsanity

Quote from: CJ on September 13, 2016, 06:47:37 PM
Get the Lexus with an extended warranty and call it a day.
Quote from: ifcar on September 13, 2016, 01:08:29 PM
The 2014 IS redesign did improve the rear seat, though it's still not at GS levels.

Gosh, I really wish the GS looked as pretty as the IS. I mean, I'm still not a fan of the predator grill on the F-sport, but the GS just looks like a bit of a mess in some angles (though it helps to have it in black).

12,000 RPM

Coworker has a new GS... I like it. If I needed a big back seat it would be a no brainer. That interior is best in class design wise.

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 14, 2016, 08:21:06 AM
Dave likes to egg me on like that little devil on your shoulder he's kinda right tho  :(

I don't think you need to be pushed too hard..... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on September 14, 2016, 03:51:38 AM
Says the guy who bought a VW instead of the 300 SRT I told you to buy, or the Hellcat you could buy.

If I bought those, I'd be in as much legal trouble as you are...  :lol:

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on September 14, 2016, 08:31:16 PM
If I bought those, I'd be in as much legal trouble as you are...  :lol:

Some day I'll make it to the NYIAS GTG and just drive in your neighborhood in 1st or second gear making a racket.
'racecar is die'
no