Madman and 2o6 are gonna bust copious nuts over my rental

Started by 12,000 RPM, September 14, 2016, 07:31:30 AM

12,000 RPM

Sporty C4 Cactus 1080p video review coming soon. #WatchThisSpace #OooSheQuirky
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Ooooo you got one!!!!!

I want one so bad! Even if the engines are super tiny and it prolly needs an extra 35HP for me to consider it.

What do you think?

Rich

The one I checked out at the dealer had a super cheap interior.  IIRC it didn't have a sun visor on the passenger side and some other content missing.  Probably the trim level...

Some oddly cool stuff like the shelf in the dash and a few other things I can't remember right now.  I think the cargo area had a few neat details.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

So far not bad. Diesel engine is sweet on the highway, but the thing has no tach! Makes slow speed stuff unnerving. I'm gonna save the rest for the video as I think that would be more fun. Hopefully tomorow.

Rich

Hopefully you have equally interesting rentals for the other parts of your trip. 

Do a compare of the three in a video by splicing it together :lol:

2o6

Quote from: Rich on September 14, 2016, 07:49:51 AM
The one I checked out at the dealer had a super cheap interior.  IIRC it didn't have a sun visor on the passenger side and some other content missing.  Probably the trim level...

Some oddly cool stuff like the shelf in the dash and a few other things I can't remember right now.  I think the cargo area had a few neat details.

Cactus is the "budget" line of Citroen.

MrH

Please put some of your beats as background music in this video.  I really want to hear the sporty accord mixtape. :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on September 14, 2016, 08:46:50 AM

Cactus is the "budget" line of Citroen.

Yeah. It's so awesome looking for being an economy car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on September 14, 2016, 12:00:53 PM
Is this RHD?
It is.... driving in the UK is actually kind of stressing me out, and part of it is due to the C4. I will explain more in the video. It's probably gonna be Friday though, gotta gather my thoughts.

Rich

If it's a manual, have you been slapping the door panel with your hand? :lol:

68_427

Damn I can't wait for this.  The Cactus is one of the coolest cars on earth.

Can you punch the airpods
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rich on September 15, 2016, 04:09:00 AM
If it's a manual, have you been slapping the door panel with your hand? :lol:
Oh god yes, only when I park though.

Galaxy

Everytime I see a Cactus park, I poke at the air pockets. Granted there are not that many, at least not here.

12,000 RPM

I haven't seen any on the road outside of my rental

I have a bullet list of the good, the bad and the weird... This will be fun :lol:

12,000 RPM

I did the vid but here are my bullet points:

Good
 interior and exterior design
Diesel torque
Fuel economy
Infotainment equipment
Touch point quality
Headlight out put an ad just ability
Trunk space
Seat Comfort

Not good
Diesel sound
Small back seat
Shallow front foot wells
Awkward pedal placement
Bad visibility- high front cowl
Lack of storage space- glove box, cupholders, door pockets, no center console
Shifter- elbow/console interference, hard to find second
Bluetooth reception
Slow infotainment system
Weak stereo

Just weird
Digital dash but no tach
Starts without clutch in gear
Fixed rear windows, no rear HVAC
Wind up seatback like 81 Rabbit Diesel
Driver's side mirror doesn't go wide enough
What is it? Hatchback? Crossover? Seems to combine worst of both

Overall looks good on the surface and has some little charms, but is no better, especially for the US market, than anything I've driven. The Fit rental I had recently for example blows this out of the water in visibility, performance, back seat space and around the cabin storage. Video is 20 minutes long as well, just one long take. I will try and get it up tonighht so prob tomorrow for you guys

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 16, 2016, 07:31:55 AM
I did the vid but here are my bullet points:

Just weird
Digital dash but no tach
Starts without clutch in gear
Clutch Interlock is an American thing.
Fixed rear windows, no rear HVAC
To keep costs low. Remember, this thing is actually Ford Focus sized, but priced like a Fiesta
Wind up seatback like 81 Rabbit Diesel
Que? Lots of cheap cars have this.
Driver's side mirror doesn't go wide enough
What is it? Hatchback? Crossover? Seems to combine worst of both

Overall looks good on the surface and has some little charms, but is no better, especially for the US market, than anything I've driven. The Fit rental I had recently for example blows this out of the water in visibility, performance, back seat space and around the cabin storage. Video is 20 minutes long as well, just one long take. I will try and get it up tonighht so prob tomorrow for you guys

Eh, I think that with a better engine, (a nice gas one) can fix a lot of things.

Yea, the Cactus is the "budget" line of Citroen - if you want something nicer and more sophisticated you're supposed to buy a C4. The Cactus offers compact car size with subcompact pricing, and focus on design.

12,000 RPM

IDK brah... so basically a C segment car for B segment pricing? Or B segment car for A segment pricing? It has to be the latter. If so it makes more sense but I'd rather pay the extra 1K or whatever for a full on B segment car. Plus again the Fit rental I had was much more roomy and practical.... I think it had a D segment size interior front and back (length wise, def narrower)

I'm gonna try and upload the video tonight

2o6

Eh, the fit's an anomaly. The Fit beats out a lot of compact cars, and some midsizers in terms of legroom.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on September 16, 2016, 09:38:05 AM
Eh, the fit's an anomaly. The Fit beats out a lot of compact cars, and some midsizers in terms of legroom.

The best-selling subcompact car has just as much room: the Nissan Versa. So does the No. 2, the Kia Soul.

Rich

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 16, 2016, 07:31:55 AMStarts without clutch in gear

It's a UK/Euro thing

Miata shop sent a message saying my car was dead.  They asked if there was anything special since there were no mechanical issues with the car otherwise.

I called them back later and told them the steps to start it and both they and myself were surprised about the clutch being depressed as the culprit.  I didn't know that euro cars could start without the clutch in.

CaminoRacer

My dad's VW will start with the clutch engaged. Scared the piss out of me once when I forgot to press it while it was in gear. I thought the switch had just been removed, but maybe it never had one.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on September 16, 2016, 09:38:05 AM
Citroen needs to step its game up then. Sales wise Fit/Versa/Soul and I think even your Sonic are the rule, not the exception.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 16, 2016, 12:21:28 PM
Citroen needs to step its game up then. Sales wise Fit/Versa/Soul and I think even your Sonic are the rule, not the exception.

They have a Fit competitor.

The C3 Picasso.

and a "regular" hatchback - the C3.

The Fit is an anomaly because it's a "tall hatchback" marketed as a normal one. The Tall B-MPV's, Europe has tons of them.

12,000 RPM

Huh.... I learned something today. Welp, I think B-MPVs make the regular Bs irrelevant and this thing kind of proves that. Anyways here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTDhjnLD_U

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on September 16, 2016, 09:56:22 AM
The best-selling subcompact car has just as much room: the Nissan Versa. So does the No. 2, the Kia Soul.

I didn't even realize that the Soul was considered a subcompact. And yeah, I think there's some sorcery involved in making the Versa. The interior seems impossibly large compared to the exterior.

12,000 RPM

A small footprint can yield a ton of interior volume when the seating position resembles that of a dining chair at Thanksgiving dinner

Jack Baruth wisely said that straight up back and shin seating position is the easiest giveaway of a cheap car, which is how he wrote off the CLA. I don't mind so much but it's true- a reclined, legs out seating position for front and rear passengers is probably one of the last true demonstrators of luxury.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 16, 2016, 02:10:26 PM
A small footprint can yield a ton of interior volume when the seating position resembles that of a dining chair at Thanksgiving dinner

Jack Baruth wisely said that straight up back and shin seating position is the easiest giveaway of a cheap car, which is how he wrote off the CLA. I don't mind so much but it's true- a reclined, legs out seating position for front and rear passengers is probably one of the last true demonstrators of luxury.

That is TOTAL horseshit.

More upright seating positions are a result of improved ergonomics as well as the SUV craze where everyone wants to sit up high.

Raza

Quote from: Rich on September 16, 2016, 10:07:09 AM
It's a UK/Euro thing

Miata shop sent a message saying my car was dead.  They asked if there was anything special since there were no mechanical issues with the car otherwise.

I called them back later and told them the steps to start it and both they and myself were surprised about the clutch being depressed as the culprit.  I didn't know that euro cars could start without the clutch in.

Really? I thought that was universal.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.