Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

So I had to do a half rebuild on a 4L65E today because it lost second and fourth gears ... but I kept getting pulled away for check engine lights/AC checks/covfefe brake inspections/etc. I got the valve body off to check it and modified the 2-4 servo piston pin by adding 0.16" to the tip with my welder and grinding the tip to the proper shape to make up for the worn 2-4 band, but when I finally got it back together it didn't have reverse. Now I know exactly what I did, and I just have to drop the pan and swap a couple of bolts, but god fucking damn it if I could just finish the transmission work without all the bullshit walk-in customers wanting their stupid check engine lights turned off ... then I would have done it right the first time.
2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES

AutobahnSHO

I've seen 2 cars the last week that had the front right wheel wobbling so bad I could see it from directly behind them and the rear wheel hiding it some. :confused:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 16, 2020, 04:42:02 PM
I've seen 2 cars the last week that had the front right wheel wobbling so bad I could see it from directly behind them and the rear wheel hiding it some. :confused:

Are you in SC yet? That sounds like SC. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

I found a check ball on the floor.
Fuck.

Eye of the Tiger

I am going to just start rebuilding 4L60E transmissions in my living room to make extra money.

Eye of the Tiger

4 banger Camry: "Makes grinding noise when turning and accelerating"

Good description. I can work with that.
Add 4 quarts of oil. It's quiet now.

CaminoRacer

1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 19, 2020, 01:24:08 PM
4 banger Camry: "Makes grinding noise when turning and accelerating"

Good description. I can work with that.
Add 4 quarts of oil. It's quiet now.

Lol.

Eye of the Tiger

I bought myself a consolation prize for 2020.
A Snap On 1/4" ratchet. Butter, baby.
Got a free T-shirt, too. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

?? How much does a ratchet cost????????  :confused:   Did it come with the sockets too?
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 29, 2020, 06:09:11 AM
?? How much does a ratchet cost????????  :confused:   Did it come with the sockets too?

Just over $100. Just a 1/4" ratchet. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Did I mention the free T-shirt? :lol:

AutobahnSHO

whut :confused:

That's an expensive t-shirt!!!
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 30, 2020, 10:15:59 AM
whut :confused:

That's an expensive t-shirt!!!

Snap-on man.

To be honest, the 1/4" ratchet in most brands sucks.

Maybe the Snap-On is worth it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2020, 11:07:47 AM
Snap-on man.

To be honest, the 1/4" ratchet in most brands sucks.

Maybe the Snap-On is worth it.

I have broken so many 1/4" ratchets. Yes, it is worth it.
It has a lifetime warranty, and the ratchet mechanism is even user serviceable if the tool guy goes AWOL.

And did I mention the butter? There is nothing else like it.

Eye of the Tiger

My second best 1/4" ratchet is a Gearwrench 120XP, but it is a short handle, 5" long. Very good for the money ... ~ $65 with a full set of sockets and extensions.

The Snap-On is a medium length, 6.5" long, which is better for working under the hood.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dual-80-Technology-Ratchets/1-4%22-Drive-Dual-80-Technology-Long-Handle-Ratchet/TL72

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 30, 2020, 11:24:49 AM
My second best 1/4" ratchet is a Gearwrench 120XP, but it is a short handle, 5" long. Very good for the money ... ~ $65 with a full set of sockets and extensions.

The Snap-On is a medium length, 6.5" long, which is better for working under the hood.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dual-80-Technology-Ratchets/1-4%22-Drive-Dual-80-Technology-Long-Handle-Ratchet/TL72
Made in the USA?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

I think Gearwrench is a US brand made in Taiwan. I have a ton of their stuff.

CaminoRacer

I don't currently have a 1/4" ratchet. I've thought about buying one, but honestly I don't see the point. I have a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter if I really need it.
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 31, 2020, 09:29:00 AM
I don't currently have a 1/4" ratchet. I've thought about buying one, but honestly I don't see the point. I have a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter if I really need it.

Sometimes you need dat tiny schit in these cramped injun baze.

r0tor

I luckily bought like a 500 whatever piece tool kit from craftsman for like $150 like 13 years ago before they became Chinese shit... Has served me well over the years.

With the Alfa I have had to buy torx and head head sockets to do pretty much anything on the car.  After buying a couple trashy sets I found gearwrench is decent.

When I worked at ExxonMobil during college they were stacked with snap-on tools... Totally worth the exorbitant price.  There are also slot of discounts floating out there for snap-on stuff when you get to know the right people.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

I can't stop acquiring tools. I needs them.

Eye of the Tiger

Shall we talk about 3/8" ratchet handles, next?

Eye of the Tiger

3/8" ratchets in my work tool box:

Matco BR10STA, 100-tooth, round swivel head, quick release, 10" handle, USA. I use this one the most.

Kobalt 22316,  36-tooth but very strong, compact teardrop head, quick release, 7" square handle, USA. (this is very much like a old Craftsman ratchet)

Tekton SRH01108, 90-tooth, compact teardrop head, no quick release, 8" handle, Taiwan.

AutobahnSHO

I bought a wiper motor and returned it after it fried and shop replaced it again (and also sealed up where the water was getting in.

Got store credit- saw ratchet endwrenches on sale and got some. Always wanted them, haven't had much chance to use them since (Just this spring).

Will

AutobahnSHO

BTW I managed to do front pads/ rotors on Puma Saturday in about an hour of actual work time (plus signing in to the shop, getting guided onto lift, cleanup).
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2020, 08:35:33 PM
I bought a wiper motor and returned it after it fried and shop replaced it again (and also sealed up where the water was getting in.

Got store credit- saw ratchet endwrenches on sale and got some. Always wanted them, haven't had much chance to use them since (Just this spring).

New toolz :wub: