Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on April 13, 2022, 07:36:26 PM
That's kind of what I'm doing now. Parts changers are common. Diagnostic guys, not so much.

Yeah, well this is a small place. It's me and my four techs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Got me a water pump job on a 3.2L Volvo. All the belt drive stuff is crammed on the back of the engine. Water pump and power steering pump share a pulley. Actually never had to do one of these before. Fun Saturday.

Eye of the Tiger

So I knocked over all of the oxygen, acetylene, and argon tanks with the forklift. Someone didn't chain them up. They all had caps on, so no explosions. Same shit, different day.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

So here I am painting the big boss's John Deere lawn tractor. Because waiting on parts.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 05, 2022, 11:52:31 AM
So here I am painting the big boss's John Deere lawn tractor. Because waiting on parts.
What colour?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Had to test drive a CTS V-Sport today. It's not a V, but 420 HP is nothing to sneeze at. I sneezed, anyway.

shp4man

So another tech told me that 4.0 Jeep engines use a shitload of oil. True?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on May 14, 2022, 10:23:20 PM
So another tech told me that 4.0 Jeep engines use a shitload of oil. True?

Um, no? Not mine. Every external gasket seeps, but it doesn't burn a drop.

Eye of the Tiger

Here is one that I haven't run into until today: 2016 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6. The serpentine belt is run such that it is around two lower coolant hoses. That is, you can't replace the belt without removing the lower coolant hoses. Unless this is like one of those puzzles at the Cracker Barrel...

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 18, 2022, 07:04:19 PM
Here is one that I haven't run into until today: 2016 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6. The serpentine belt is run such that it is around two lower coolant hoses. That is, you can't replace the belt without removing the lower coolant hoses. Unless this is like one of those puzzles at the Cracker Barrel...

That would be really annoying.

Soup DeVille

I remember on my wife's Grand Am, you had to remove the upper engine mount to change the belts; but at least you didn't have to drain any liquids.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 19, 2022, 10:38:24 AM
I remember on my wife's Grand Am, you had to remove the upper engine mount to change the belts; but at least you didn't have to drain any liquids.
I changed the timing belt on a Prelude that was that way.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 19, 2022, 01:27:02 PM
I changed the timing belt on a Prelude that was that way.

That's normal for a timing belt, but not a stupid accessory belt.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 19, 2022, 10:38:24 AM

Maybe Jeep just wants to force coolant flush services.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 19, 2022, 03:43:02 PM
Maybe Jeep just wants to force coolant flush services.

Sounds about right.

Eye of the Tiger

I am stumped right now. The AC system on this Scion TC will not activate the compressor. I can command it on with my scanner, and the AC works fine. I troubleshooted the AC amplifier module and found high resistance on the thermistor circuit side, so I replaced the module for $500. No worky.

Eye of the Tiger

The flow sensor is 3.54V but the min spec is 3.76. Can it be that sensitive?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 20, 2022, 02:02:17 PM
The flow sensor is 3.54V but the min spec is 3.76. Can it be that sensitive?

Absolutely.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 20, 2022, 03:19:17 PM
Absolutely.

I found a bad shared ground for the thermistor and flow sensor at the AC amp module. Only 47 ohms. I fixed it, and the flow sensor voltage didn't change. Junk.

Eye of the Tiger

I think I have bad information. The supposed chassis ground switches from 0 ohms to 47 to 165 depending on the ignition switch.

Eye of the Tiger

Put a new flow sensor in the compressor. AC worky now. Fuck.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 21, 2022, 09:28:57 AM
Put a new flow sensor in the compressor. AC worky now. Fuck.

Sounds like a  :banghead: conclusion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 21, 2022, 10:03:37 AM
Sounds like a  :banghead: conclusion.

It's not even a serviceable part. According to Toyota, you have to replace the whole compressor. I found a Dorman part listed for it and said fuck it. Take your 0.21VDC and shove it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 21, 2022, 10:15:52 AM
It's not even a serviceable part. According to Toyota, you have to replace the whole compressor. I found a Dorman part listed for it and said fuck it. Take your 0.21VDC and shove it.

How does that work then with the $500 part you replaced before with no result? Do you take that part off and save it for another day, leave it on and the shop eats the cost, or do you have to charge the customer for it regardless since the work was performed and the part is now on their car?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 21, 2022, 11:40:23 AM
How does that work then with the $500 part you replaced before with no result? Do you take that part off and save it for another day, leave it on and the shop eats the cost, or do you have to charge the customer for it regardless since the work was performed and the part is now on their car?

I put the old ac amplifier back in. Return unneeded part. My parts guy is awesome.
The customer's bill ended up being close to the same. Traded part cost for all the damn diag time. The flow sensor was only $44.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 21, 2022, 02:20:48 PM
I put the old ac amplifier back in. Return unneeded part. My parts guy is awesome.
The customer's bill ended up being close to the same. Traded part cost for all the damn diag time. The flow sensor was only $44.

Makes sense. That's a good shop.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 22, 2022, 12:40:32 AM
Makes sense. That's a good shop.

That's my call. My service writer, as great as he is, will just keep selling parts.