What to do with the Grand Cherokee...

Started by r0tor, October 22, 2016, 08:58:51 PM

r0tor

So my 2011 "WK2" Jeep Grand Cherokee has served me well.  Its only got about 50k on the clock and seems to have held up much better then every other one I know of - only eating shocks and thankfully not blowing a motor.  Its basically my daily driver during the winter months and whenever its not sunny (the RX8 gets treated like royalty).

Pro's - Its just about the perfect size IMO for the family and vacation.  Gas mileage is OK.  Running costs and maintenance costs are low.  I'm fine with the interior and love the limited amount of tech.  The 4WD system is a rockstar in the snow and a beast on the sand when we go on vacation.  This year at the outer banks driving on the beach was way worse then I have ever seen.  There were bumpers laying on the beach and SUVs/Trucks stuck everywhere.  The JGC was a complete trooper though - never struggled.  It started to sound terrible and I thought I broke it, but turned out it was just the skid plates acting like shovels and packed the area around the front driveshaft with sand... LOL

Cons - My daily commute has turned from cruising on back roads to 90% on a highway in the middle of nowhere pocono region of PA that is like an autobahn.  To keep up with traffic, speeds are crazy high and it just seems to highlight everything I have never loved about the JGC.  The brakes are terrible on initial bite - no feel, no stopping at all for the first few seconds which is terrifying at 70+ mph.  The suspension is way too floaty and under damped to feel comfortable with at higher speed.  Yes there are far worse shitboxes going far faster then I like to - but its a personal preference I guess.  The steering has good road feel but I dont think too much steering feedback, although the suspension itself is just way too bad to ever push it enough to really feel the steering.  Then there is the 5 speed auto which is just geared way too long and makes the whole truck feel like an utter dog and having to downshift at every incline.

So I'm not sure what to do... I want something offroad capable but drives a bit more sporty.  It also has to be reliable as a daily driver and I dont want to spend a ton of money to keep it running. The options (at least at <$50k) are just terrible I think.  WHat I have thought about:

1) Sink about $3k into the JGC and replace the brakes and rotors, shocks and sway bar upgrades, and maybe a tuner.  Problem is actual performance mods for a Jeep are hard to find and the community is completely terrible for information. 
- Summary: I'm not sure what the end product will feel like and I doubt there is a way to fix the shitty ass transmission.

2) New V6 JGC - A decent one is now around $42k.  It has a drastically improved 8 speed transmission and a rear lsd now for the V6.  The suspension and brakes still blow and I don't like the new tech in the interior.  Also I would be annoyed I paid out more money to stay with a JGC that I never loved and the new ones dont even have an opening rear glass in the hatch.
- Summary: It fixed the transmission but does nothing for brakes/suspension/steering and adds interior annoyances

3) Evoque - too f'in small

4) Discovery Sport - Upper $40k's for ones with the options I like.  Has some potential with magneride shocks and the awd system from the focus RS that can act like a rear locking diff.  Good terrain management system for my snow and sand needs.  Its also pretty much the right size - just a smidge smaller then the JGC.  I would probably be pissed at paying close to $50k and still having an ancient Ford Turbo 4 banger.  They also look sort of cheap.  Reliability is sketchy and running costs are higher.
- Summary:  Not sure.  Could be good but highly compromised with engine and reliability.

5) New Jag F-Pace - Around $50k for some good options.  Almost identical dimensions to the JGC.  Nice supercharged V6.  Apparently terrific on road handling.  Reliability is sketchy and actual off road worthiness is questionable as the terrain management got stripped of offroad modes.
- Summary: Not sure again.  Sounds good, but will it hold up and be able to deliver off-road?

6) Porsche Macan - Had high hopes but it is just too damn small inside

7)  CPO Porsche Cayenne - You can actually get a hairy chested V8 GTS now for around $50k.  With the right options you can get air ride suspension with great ground clearance, the porsche torque vecoting rear diff which operated like a locking rear diff off road, and PDCC which when offroad allows the swaybars to act pretty much disconnected for articulation.  Also contains a great engine and dimensions are very similar to the JGC.  We all know it handles like a sports car on-raod and is a mountain goat offroad.  However, it would need to be used and we all know the nightmare costs of an older POrsche.  Finding a cheaper V6 with air ride and Porsche PTV is nearly impossible unfortunately.
- Summary:  It has the moves, but will it bankrupt me?

8) VW Touareg - A new one is in the mid $50's.  They look boring and contain none of the good stuff that really excited me with the Cayenne.
- Summary:  Pricey and sort of "meh"

9) LR Discovery - Just unveiled and in the low $50's for a decent example.  Off-road ability is clearly there.  Thank god it has a supercharged V6.  It is however too damn large and I have no want or need for a 3rd row of seats
- Summary :  Too much money for too much vehicle

The off road ability is lack luster for BMW, AUdi, VW, Mazda options.  The on road handling is lack luster for domestics, Toyota and Nissan.  Bleh.  lso If I would spend the extra coin for a nice SUV, I would probably feel the need to build a garage so it doesn't sit outside all year like the JGC does... so that more of a pinch in the pocketbook.

I'm really not sure where to even start with this.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

Which company isn't controlled by the Illuminati?

Sorry, too easy. Have you driven a new JGC?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Do you really want/need an/a SUV/CUV for the space and/or ergonomics and/or AWD/4WD for your winter/rainy day high speed/highway commute? /

I can tell you that tall boxes are not the best choices for primarily highway use, even if they have adequate power/transmissions for the job. Having a torqueless four door Mazda sedan does not mean your second vehicle must be a giant truck wagon.

I recommend a Honda Ridgeline.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

There are no new mid-size good choices that are decent off road + decent on road that don't cost $70k+. The closest you're going to get is either a used nightmare (Cayenne, Range Rover) or something ginormous like a Tahoe (which is IMO your most viable choice - it's very good at everything - just big).

veeman

If the offroading is mostly beach stuff, a Subaru Outback might work.  They're a beast in the snow. 

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: veeman on October 23, 2016, 05:24:27 AM
If the offroading is mostly beach stuff, a Subaru Outback might work.  They're a beast in the snow. 

Subarus aren't a guarantee for the sand; someone I know bought a Wrangler immediately after one harrowing OBX attempt in a Forester.

How about keeping the Grand Cherokee or perhaps picking up something used for off-road or snowy situations -- Xterra, Tacoma? -- and then getting a more enjoyable daily winter car?

Eye of the Tiger

Anything can be good in sand with the right tyres - tyres not suitable for autobahnesque commutes.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on October 23, 2016, 06:36:03 AM
Subarus aren't a guarantee for the sand; someone I know bought a Wrangler immediately after one harrowing OBX attempt in a Forester.

How about keeping the Grand Cherokee or perhaps picking up something used for off-road or snowy situations -- Xterra, Tacoma? -- and then getting a more enjoyable daily winter car?

The issue in sand isn't ground clearance or approach angles, it's flotation. Soft, squishy tires with enough surface area to keep the car from sinking into the deep sand is the major key here.

With the right tires, or with the tires properly aired down, Subies are just fine. We used to have a word for dudes who went and bought a new vehicles after "one harrowing experience," but the modern term for that is "noob."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 23, 2016, 07:45:14 AM
The issue in sand isn't ground clearance or approach angles, it's flotation. Soft, squishy tires with enough surface area to keep the car from sinking into the deep sand is the major key here.

With the right tires, or with the tires properly aired down, Subies are just fine. We used to have a word for dudes who went and bought a new vehicles after "one harrowing experience," but the modern term for that is "noob."

This was a number of years ago, but as I recall it she had aired down the tires and did avoid getting stuck, but didn't feel too comfortable at it. She was also worried about damage to her daily driver (which the Forester continued to be).

MrH

Yeah, this is a tough one. You want a beast off road and then also stellar on road dynamics too.

The 4Runner is plenty fine for me for highway driving.

Your best bet is probably a Tahoe. Otherwise a used Cayenne I guess. Either way is going to be expensive.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Firstly, I hate Subarus. Secondly, a decent terrain management system and limited slip (real or fake) diffs can go a long long way in the sand.  I have seen a number of domestic 4WD trucks stuck because they are screwed as soon as a single wheel gets trouble.   I only ever had to air down my Jeep once.  Thirdly, Subarus suck..

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 22, 2016, 09:29:30 PM
Do you really want/need an/a SUV/CUV for the space and/or ergonomics and/or AWD/4WD for your winter/rainy day high speed/highway commute? /

Yes and or yes and or yes

r0tor

Quote from: ifcar on October 23, 2016, 06:36:03 AM

I think the Mrs would shoot me for having 3 vehicles for myself

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 23, 2016, 07:45:14 AM

In OBX ground clearance is a huge issue.  The sand is like quick sand so you end up driving in ruts where it is compacted better.  Problem is the ruts tend get very deep as this year I was bottoming out all over the place and cute Ute bumpers were getting ripped off

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on October 23, 2016, 08:12:49 AM
Firstly, I hate Subarus. Secondly, a decent terrain management system and limited slip (real or fake) diffs can go a long long way in the sand.  I have seen a number of domestic 4WD trucks stuck because they are screwed as soon as a single wheel gets trouble.   I only ever had to air down my Jeep once.  Thirdly, Subarus suck..

AWD Hondas now have intelligent terrain modes, with individual clutch packs for each rear half axle. SHAWD for erryone.

Eye of the Tiger

CALL_911

I'd probably just sink the $ into the JGC and run it into the ground

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 23, 2016, 08:45:12 AM
AWD Hondas now have intelligent terrain modes, with individual clutch packs for each rear half axle. SHAWD for erryone.

It does.   However I watched a YouTube review and after a few miles of light offroading, it overheated and turned off the 4WD

r0tor

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 23, 2016, 09:29:27 AM
I'd probably just sink the $ into the JGC and run it into the ground

Bilsteins, SRT sway bars, beefy sway bar end links, a decent brake package... Has to do something better right?

MX793

Sell JGC
Buy SVT Raptor CrewCab
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Quote from: MX793 on October 23, 2016, 01:57:58 PM
Sell GJC
Buy SVT Raptor CrewCab

I like this one.  New model has I think 450hp and 510tq
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on October 23, 2016, 01:57:58 PM
Sell GJC
Buy SVT Raptor CrewCab

Woah.  Hadn't thought of that.  Actually a really good idea.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

I thought Raptors sucked on road. Floaty and soft
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Getting a car that will be both amazing off road and on isn't really possible.  If his JGC is just barely capable of surviving his beach trips, there aren't a lot of options that are more capable.

Raptor solves his transmission and power issues with commuting at least.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

Or just a four-door pickup, Taco maybe. I don't think he has any need for a Raptor.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on October 23, 2016, 04:52:57 PM
Or just a four-door pickup, Taco maybe. I don't think he has any need for a Raptor.

If his complaint is about how a Grand Cherokee drives, a Tacoma is miserable unless you really embrace its character.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 23, 2016, 03:18:08 PM
I thought Raptors sucked on road. Floaty and soft

As much as I love the raptor - yea, this

MrH

So you want extreme off road abilities and extreme on road handling dynamics. That means serious adaptive suspensions and some big money.

A used 2014 Range Rover Sport? I wouldn't want to have to pay to keep one of those on the road, but outside of that, your only other choice is a Cayenne really.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited