VW Atlas (large crossover)

Started by ifcar, October 27, 2016, 08:14:40 PM

ifcar

VW's new three-row Pilot-sized crossover: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/27/2018-volkswagen-atlas-crossover-details/

Late to the market, obviously, but I think they did a good job with the looks inside and out.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

Soup DeVille

Agreed. Coming to the party now, one is required to bring something not already at the bar.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Damn. the world is changing. I sense a trend here that the Germans are trying to break into the American truck market. The Japanese tried,  and achieved only limited success.

Eye of the Tiger

I will expect a V12 diesel option.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

As we speak Jeep designers just starting hitting the Grand Wagoneer clay model with axes and starting over.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

God that's bland.  It looks super Chery (or any other 3rd world Chinese brand)

In this segment give me the new Acadia all day every day

'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Sometimes, I prefer bland to needless styling cues.  Like 6' long headlights.  And windows curving up for no reason.  Bleh.

Both are good-looking vehicles, but there will always be a place for "bland" designs, IMO.  Some will like them, others won't.

68_427

I have a hunch it'll look pretty ungainly in person, considering it's the size of an Explorer. 
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on October 27, 2016, 09:20:58 PM
Damn. the world is changing. I sense a trend here that the Germans are trying to break into the American truck market. The Japanese tried,  and achieved only limited success.

Haven't they offered the Toureg here for like a decade now?

Speaking of which, does this slot between the Tiguan and Toureg? Or is this considered a crossover and not an SUV? (Like there's a difference anymore?)

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 27, 2016, 11:25:55 PM
Sometimes, I prefer bland to needless styling cues.

I would agree, however this arguably has needless styling cues, with regard to the line going over the wheel arches.

The concept did this much better imo.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 27, 2016, 09:17:11 PM
Agreed. Coming to the party now, one is required to bring something not already at the bar.

I don't agree; it just requires doing something well, not forcing uniqueness. Look at Nissan's best-selling vehicle, the Rogue -- it was years late to the market, but no one cares as long as it was executed satisfactorily. There just isn't a quota system that declares "sorry, we already have enough cars like this, no more new ones."

2o6

Quote from: shp4man on October 27, 2016, 09:20:58 PM

....the Pilot and Highlander are top sales in their segment.

Quote from: ifcar on October 28, 2016, 07:12:17 AM
I don't agree; it just requires doing something well, not forcing uniqueness. Look at Nissan's best-selling vehicle, the Rogue -- it was years late to the market, but no one cares as long as it was executed satisfactorily. There just isn't a quota system that declares "sorry, we already have enough cars like this, no more new ones."

I feel like the Rogue (and other Nissan models) are primarily because of easier credit and financing options. I know many Nissan dealers that are willing to work with people over a Ford or Honda.

shp4man

Quote from: 2o6 on October 28, 2016, 09:17:42 AM

I feel like the Rogue (and other Nissan models) are primarily because of easier credit and financing options. I know many Nissan dealers that are willing to work with people over a Ford or Honda.

I was talking about pickups mostly. Rear wheel drive, 1/2 or better ton cargo rating, at least a 6 ft bed.

93JC

... let alone a VW. VW's are expensive and unreliable: why would I buy this new Atlas when I could get, say, a Highlander? I wouldn't. Most people wouldn't. Most people won't.

MX793

Does kind of feel like Nissan is becoming the new Mitsubishi.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

If I could get a Versa Note with power locks, windows, and cruise (with a manual) I may just have bought one new.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on October 28, 2016, 07:12:17 AM

Nissan had been making trucks and SUVS for years and years; good ones that weren't rebadged anything. The Roque was more of a gap filler between existing lines than a foray into a new segment.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: 68_427 on October 27, 2016, 10:31:32 PM

It's amazing what color and lighting can do. Bland in the photo above, interesting in the photo below.

Yeah, the Atlas is pretty dull, but at least in that yellow color and with that lighting setup it looks pretty interesting.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

So, when its backlit, and shot at night using a long exposure time it looks great?

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 28, 2016, 12:32:14 PM
So, when its backlit, and shot at night using a long exposure time it looks great?

It looks "better" if it's shot with backlighting. It's still a dull design, though.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on October 28, 2016, 10:40:21 AM
... let alone a VW. VW's are expensive and unreliable: why would I buy this new Atlas when I could get, say, a Highlander? I wouldn't. Most people wouldn't. Most people won't.

Isn't that what people said to oppose the Americanized Passat, right before sales burst from like 10,000 a year to 100,000?

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 28, 2016, 12:11:18 PM
Nissan had been making trucks and SUVS for years and years; good ones that weren't rebadged anything. The Roque was more of a gap filler between existing lines than a foray into a new segment.

Nissan had never made a compact crossover in the U.S. The closest thing was an Xterra, which was nothing like a Rogue. The "gap" being filled was only the single fastest-growing market segment. Nissan at the time had one crossover, and it was bigger and significantly more expensive. If size doesn't matter, then Volkswagen's decade-plus of Touaregs and nine years of Tiguans mean there's nothing new about the Atlas.

93JC

Wouldn't know, Passat sales are as shitty as they ever were here.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on October 28, 2016, 01:48:45 PM
Wouldn't know, Passat sales are as shitty as they ever were here.

It seems that sales went from 3,000 in 2011 to 8,000 in 2012, enough to overtake the Malibu (5,700), Avenger (4,800), Mazda6 (5,200), and Legacy (2,700). Not everyone has to be No. 1 in volume to be a success, after all. (They've since slipped back down into a smaller niche, following dieselgate.)

Cookie Monster

Man, that wheel arch/body line looks terrible.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 28, 2016, 05:27:59 PM
Man, that wheel arch/body line looks terrible.

Yeah, and that BMW X3 window kick-up at the back. The blue prototype looks much better.

68_427

Quote from: Galaxy on October 28, 2016, 05:40:30 AM
I would agree, however this arguably has needless styling cues, with regard to the line going over the wheel arches.

The concept did this much better imo.

The Seat is closer to the concept
'racecar is die'
no