Looks like we're getting the A5/S5 Sportback

Started by 12,000 RPM, November 02, 2016, 11:38:57 AM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Vinsanity

I don't usually care much for Audis, but I love the A7. If they brought this over here back in 2013-14, it would be toward the top of my list.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Too bad "ultra" Quattro has killed my interest in Audi
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I didn't know you were a fan of horrifying understeer and inert steering feel

I do like the looks of the latest A6

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 06, 2016, 09:52:56 AM
I didn't know you were a fan of horrifying understeer and inert steering feel

I do like the looks of the latest A6

Real Quattro with a biasing torrent center differential was actually able to mechanically bias real torque (not bullshit "available torque") to the rear... See S4 or RS4

Ultra Quattro is another heldex in disguise bullshit system that can only at best lock up a center power takeoff unit and send half of the real torque to the rear... See understanding nightmare
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on November 06, 2016, 10:51:25 AM
Real Quattro with a biasing torrent center differential was actually able to mechanically bias real torque (not bullshit "available torque") to the rear... See S4 or RS4

Ultra Quattro is another heldex in disguise bullshit system that can only at best lock up a center power takeoff unit and send half of the real torque to the rear... See understanding nightmare
I know the difference.... you are mistaking knowing for caring :lol:

Real Quattro can't move the engine back behind the front axle. All Real Quattro Audis are still nose heavy understeering pigs. Any modern AWD system including Fauxttro will get you unstuck from a snow rut. Dynamically there are way better choices

r0tor

Does Porsche not continually prove weight distribution can be easily overcome with chassis tuning?

MX793

Weight distribution on newer 911s is about the same as many MR cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on November 06, 2016, 12:03:21 PM
Does Porsche not continually prove weight distribution can be easily overcome with chassis tuning?
Couple of things

For starters Porsche != Audi

Secondly a rearward bias is far more ideal than a nose heavy bias. All Porsche had to do was stretch the wheelbase and now the 911 is perfect

Third LEE.... like I said OG Audis were hardly neutral dynamic powerhouses; the AWD system is the least of Audi's dynamic problems. Actually, their Haldex AWD cars are the best handlers in the fleet (A3/S3/TT)..... do you want to take a guess as to why that is?

r0tor

S4 and RS4 were always better then all of the heldex cars

12,000 RPM

By wat metric..... TT RS is faster than both around VIR

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 06, 2016, 10:58:33 AM
I know the difference.... you are mistaking knowing for caring :lol:

Real Quattro can't move the engine back behind the front axle. All Real Quattro Audis are still nose heavy understeering pigs. Any modern AWD system including Fauxttro will get you unstuck from a snow rut. Dynamically there are way better choices

The B8 S4 had 55/45 f/r weight distribution. Not great but better than almost any FWD car. I don't know the B9's weight distribution, but overall it is a lighter (but unfortunately larger) car.

r0tor

Tave

Awful.

The A7 works because it adds some sleekness to what is an otherwise beheamoth of a car.

This is a dropped A4 with a hatchback that doesn't really change anything about the car's profile or rear deck. Just terrible.

Would love to hear their plan for justifying the price increase. "B-b-but, it has a higher number and everything!"
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

It definitely doesn't have the sexy proportions of the A7. I am at a bit of a loss of the appeal of this thing besides the hatch