Damn SJ.... if only you had waited a year

Started by 12,000 RPM, November 10, 2016, 02:46:54 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

What's the Performance version? Sport exhaust or better tune?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 10, 2016, 02:52:23 PM
What's the Performance version? Sport exhaust or better tune?

IIRC, 10 extra hp and better brakes.

giant_mtb

"No, you aren't losing your mind. This isn't a completely new form of transportation or an abstract piece of rolling art. What you are seeing is Volkswagen's venerable hatchback after its mid-cycle update.

This mutilated Golf may be confusing at first, but the more you look at it, the more familiar it begins to appear."

Holy shit, chill out. It's a goddamn Golf.  :confused:

Laconian

Unless it's OLED, no thanks with the pure LCD screen display.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2016, 05:12:21 PM
"No, you aren't losing your mind. This isn't a completely new form of transportation or an abstract piece of rolling art. What you are seeing is Volkswagen's venerable hatchback after its mid-cycle update.

This mutilated Golf may be confusing at first, but the more you look at it, the more familiar it begins to appear."

Holy shit, chill out. It's a goddamn Golf.  :confused:
HEY YOU STILL GOT DA PAGEVIEW THO
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2016, 05:31:59 PM
HEY YOU STILL GOT DA PAGEVIEW THO

It's that sort of sensationalism that stops me dead from reading any further.  Sooooo annoying.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 10, 2016, 02:46:54 PM
VW puts the virtual cockpit in the GTI

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/11/volkswagens-refresh-of-the-golf-has-created-an-unrecognizable-monster/

One would have to assume the same for the '17 R.....

The 2017 R has already started arrive FWIW, it is identical to the 2016.

If they add the virtual cockpit to the 2018 model I would definitely consider upgrading.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on November 10, 2016, 03:36:02 PM
IIRC, 10 extra hp and better brakes.
Mechanical LSD too. Not even sure why the make GTIs without them.

MrH

Yeah, it's not coming here until model year 2018 is at all.  They might decide that will price the GTI out of the market here and not even bother.  Guess we'll see.

Good news for SJ though...damn near everything VW and on that platform is plug and play.  If it turns out the new gauges are awesome, it looks like anything physical about the dash changed (same PVC cast screen dash, etc).  You can probably just buy the gauges, take the whole thing apart, plug them in, and it would work fine.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I feel like the GTI accounts for half of the Golf's sales. Maybe more now with the TDI gone. I hope they don't stop selling them here.

MrH

I mean they wouldn't sell the LCD gauges, not stop selling the GTI...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Actually thinking about it a bit more, I probably wouldn't bother upgrading. I am pretty happy with the gauge set up in the Golf.

One of the things I don't like about the Golf R is the infotainment system. I am not a fan of touchscreen controls...I very much preferred the MMI setup on my S4 and the newer version in the S3. These updates seem to be going further down the touchscreen/capacitive rabbit hole (albeit with a nicer/bigger screen).

12,000 RPM

Yea you gotta pony up for that

I thought I would hate an MMI type setup but I got to really love the bootleg MMI wheel in that Mazda3 rental. I would prefer that to a touchscreen as well