Garage Chat

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 14, 2016, 05:15:08 AM

AutobahnSHO

For stuff that doesn't warrant its own thread.

Changed the oil on Odyssey Saturday. 195k miles, there's an oil leak somewhere, the front of the motor has gotten a little messy. Not crazy but still annoying. It needs safety inspection in February, will deal with it then.
Will

68_427

Blew a brake line on the truck the other day when some retard ran out of gas and stopped in the middle of a 4 lane highway.  It rusted and blew out in the center section that crosses over the rear axle so I've been limping the Subaru around the last couple days.  Made a new brake line Saturday but didn't quite get the threads right so I have to correct that.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on November 14, 2016, 05:30:44 AM
Blew a brake line on the truck the other day when some retard ran out of gas and stopped in the middle of a 4 lane highway.  It rusted and blew out in the center section that crosses over the rear axle so I've been limping the Subaru around the last couple days.  Made a new brake line Saturday but didn't quite get the threads right so I have to correct that.

:confused:

You're driving with brakes that might just bleed out when you mash the pedal??
Will

shp4man

Did a panic stop with the old truck yesterday. Well, sort of. The ancient braking system has one good stop in it. But only one, otherwise the drums heat up you're done.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on November 14, 2016, 09:28:46 AM
Did a panic stop with the old truck yesterday. Well, sort of. The ancient braking system has one good stop in it. But only one, otherwise the drums heat up you're done.  :lol:

You need to cross drill your brake drums

:cheers:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sparkplug

I put air in a tire yesterday.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

I put air in my tires today.  Some dick was parked in front of the hose/not using it.  So I had to do my fronts and then flip around to to the rears.

Guy walks out while I'm doing the rears and goes "oh, is my truck in the way?"  I looked at him, sternly said "yup" and kept on airin' those bitches up. :devil: :praise: :lol:

Until I had leaky tires that need air every couple days, I never knew there was a special place in hell for people that park in front of the air hose with no intention of using it.  Just like when you pump gas, it's also courteous to move immediately so if others need to use it...  Must be how diesel drivers feel some times at the gas station. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 14, 2016, 10:37:39 AM
You need to cross drill your brake drums

:cheers:

You know, that actually used to be a thing...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sparkplug

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 16, 2016, 07:10:50 PM
Oh, thanks.

It was compressed autumn air, special for this time of year.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 16, 2016, 07:15:44 PM
You know, that actually used to be a thing...

I suppose it could work, if done with a bit more restraint than pictured.  Although, the weight savings could be significant. And perhaps putting the holes on the actual braking surface.

sparkplug

why wouldn't they cross drill the part that contacts the brakes.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 16, 2016, 07:33:29 PM
I suppose it could work, if done with a bit more restraint than pictured.  Although, the weight savings could be significant. And perhaps putting the holes on the actual braking surface.

Plus all the extra surface area for cooling.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 16, 2016, 07:33:29 PM

It was a thing on dune buggies mostly. Drum brakes in sand tended to fill up with sand. So, they drilled holes in them to let it out. I always figured it would let more in too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

I probably saved a lady's life today. Stopped at a gas station to air up my bike tires and there was a nice BMW X3 getting air too. Middle aged lady who apparently didn't know what she was doing. Luckily after a minute or two she asked me how to know when the tires have enough air and I brought my gauge over. Her front tires had 60 and 80 psi in them, sidewalls said max 44 psi and the correct psi is 32. Took a couple of minutes to air them down back to normal... Checked her back tires as well and put them at 35 like the doorsill said. Very good chance she would have blown that left front tire at some point if it stayed at 80. I told her she could go to autozone and get a gauge and then she'd be able to do it herself the next time without any issues.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 19, 2016, 02:46:29 PM
I probably saved a lady's life today. Stopped at a gas station to air up my bike tires and there was a nice BMW X3 getting air too. Middle aged lady who apparently didn't know what she was doing. Luckily after a minute or two she asked me how to know when the tires have enough air and I brought my gauge over. Her front tires had 60 and 80 psi in them, sidewalls said max 44 psi and the correct psi is 32. Took a couple of minutes to air them down back to normal... Checked her back tires as well and put them at 35 like the doorsill said. Very good chance she would have blown that left front tire at some point if it stayed at 80. I told her she could go to autozone and get a gauge and then she'd be able to do it herself the next time without any issues.

People like that ... should not be allowed to operate vehicles ... ever.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 19, 2016, 03:35:00 PM
People like that ... should not be allowed to operate vehicles ... ever.

She asked if they sold tires that didn't need air :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 19, 2016, 03:35:31 PM
She asked if they sold tires that didn't need air :lol:

Are you even serious

Soup DeVille

Direct her to the nearest Hyster dealership.

My fuel gauge is driving me nuts. Sensor and gauge both work, and it works for the first half of the tank right after I mess with it, or two days whichever comes first. Gotta just be a bad connection, but it's being a bastard.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 19, 2016, 04:01:13 PM
Direct her to the nearest Hyster dealership.

My fuel gauge is driving me nuts. Sensor and gauge both work, and it works for the first half of the tank right after I mess with it, or two days whichever comes first. Gotta just be a bad connection, but it's being a bastard.

Fuel level is irrelevant when you have cans of Jerry strapped to your roof.

sparkplug

missed a good opportunity to sell her an overpriced tire gauge.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Started prepping the Vette for Hibernation......    :(
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

Quote from: sparkplug on November 19, 2016, 09:10:35 PM
missed a good opportunity to sell her an overpriced tire gauge.

Shoulda given her mine for $20

giant_mtb

Holy fuck.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 19, 2016, 04:15:08 PM
Fuel level is irrelevant when you have cans of Jerry strapped to your roof.

Not this car.

17 gallon tank; been averaging about 17 MPG. Range is not good, so fuel gauge would be nice.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 20, 2016, 01:10:31 PM
Not this car.

17 gallon tank; been averaging about 17 MPG. Range is not good, so fuel gauge would be nice.

Put a dipstick in the filler hole

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2016, 01:35:47 PM
Put a dipstick in the filler hole

With a continual spark so you just watch until the flame burns out, means it's time to get gas
Will

giant_mtb

TL;DR Used a torch on some stuck/rusty lug nuts for the first time in my life today.  Holy shit it makes things break free like butter.  :dance:

Buddy of mine asked if I had some sockets and a breaker to swap a wheel/tire he destroyed sliding into a ditch to avoid an accident.  He broke the 4-spot lug wrench he was using.  We were basically standing/jumping on the breaker and none of 'em were budging.  I thought "perfect, an opportunity to buy a torch."  Got the super skookum MAPP gas instead of the propane.  Tanks are about 3x the price ($3 versus $9), but it runs at least a few hundred degrees F hotter according to the bottles.  About 30-45 seconds on each lug and they came off like butter, it was amazing.  Then of course the wheel was rusted on good, too.  Wouldn't budge even with some good kicks.  Torched the stud areas for like 20 seconds each, gave 'er another kick and she dropped right off.

Oh the joys of living with rust.  But now I have fire in a can and have seen firsthand the beauty of heating a stuck fastener.

I let him do the final tightening of the lugs once it was back on the ground (so if his wheel falls off "you touched it last!") and holy fuck did he tighten those things down too much...he was basically putting all his weight/effort into it on a 16" breaker bar.  He's gonna have the same issue next time he needs to swap a wheel. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Yeah man. Torches are like magic wands.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 09, 2016, 01:21:27 PM
Yeah man. Torches are like magic wands.

Now I just wanna go around finding rusty bolts to break loose.  :devil:

Maybe I'll try taking my front sway bar off of Tacoma again.