Accent (almost pure MSG)
0 (0%)
Old Bay
1 (12.5%)
Other
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Eye of the Tiger

Aside from the obvious black pepper, what is the all purpose seasoning? I'm mostly talking about blends.

I like Adobo for tons of stuff and think Old Bay is crap
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

Seasoned salt out of these.  IRL is Dinosaur BBQ's Cajun Foreplay
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on December 10, 2016, 06:08:32 PM
Seasoned salt out of these.  IRL is Dinosaur BBQ's Cajun Foreplay

Since that is a fake made up thing, Adobo is winning

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Depends on what I'm making. Meat with already good flavor, seasoned salt. For chicken breast I usually use some sort of Ms Dash and/or garlic.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 10, 2016, 07:20:54 PM
Depends on what I'm making. Meat with already good flavor, seasoned salt. For chicken breast I usually use some sort of Ms Dash and/or garlic.

So, Adobo?

Payman

I use La Grille Spicy Pepper Medley. Makes awesome roast potatoes, and it's good on just about any meat. For steak though it's always Worcestershire sauce and Montreal Steak Spice.

Rupert

I almost never use pre-made blends. IMO steak shouldn't have more than salt and pepper on it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on December 10, 2016, 10:58:45 PM
I almost never use pre-made blends. IMO steak shouldn't have more than salt and pepper on it.

Well, shit. That's what I put on steak. And butter. And heat.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Morris Minor

This.

I've tried many rubs & seasonings but ditched them for plain old large-crystal salt & freshly-ground pepper... and the dollop of butter to finish.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

I realize a good steak doesn't need Adobo or Mrs. Dash. Neither does a slice of cheesecake or a whiskey sour. Obvious things are obvious.

Payman

Eh, yes and no, and it really depends on the rub you're using. There are blends that change the taste of the steak completely, but I find Montreal spice (salt/garlic/peppers) really enhances and compliments the natural flavours. The truly egregious grillers are those that use bbq sauce, A1, etc.

Lol we had a crew bbq one time, with about 30 steaks on the grill. I isolated mine and sprinkled a little seasoning on it. Next guy came by and soaked his steak in bbq sauce, then proceeded to cover everyone's steak with it. Closest I ever came to punching someone over food.

2o6

2o6

Lebowski

I haven't bought any of those listed in years and years.  As a kid my dad always used Lawry's.

For rubs I usually make my own, using kosher salt and spices  usually from penzeys, which do seem fresher and more potent than what's sold at the grocery store.  Of the premade rubs, dizzy pig is pretty good as is dillo dust (comes w/ orders from larue tactical), I don't ever buy premade rubs but sometimes get them as a gift etc, the two mentioned I'll keep and use.  For the homemade rubs I usually use amazingribs.com ... a few years ago he went to all salt free rubs, so that salt can be added (i.e. brining or dry brining) separate from the herbs/spices in the rub.

For steak I will generally just use salt and pepper.  Kosher salt and it's important to get good quality peppercorns (again, penzeys also I've used amazon) and grind them fresh.  The difference vs the store bought preground pepper is immense.

In general though, you should stay away from those premade rubs / seasoned salts whatever. You can do much better.

Laconian

Husband uses brand X herbs de provence on steak to add a hint of aroma to the meat. A lot of the premade seasonings are too salty for my taste.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

Where's Wimmer? I'm waiting on an essay about the greatness of McCormick's
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on December 10, 2016, 09:20:23 PM
I use La Grille Spicy Pepper Medley. Makes awesome roast potatoes, and it's good on just about any meat. For steak though it's always Worcestershire sauce and Montreal Steak Spice.

I 2nd the steak comment.  The "smokey" Montreal steak seasoning give the wood fired grill taste I love.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Well......yeah, that's pretty much about it.  When cooking other stuff, I generally put together my own combination of spices, and rarely use these types of blends.  Salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic are my main go to spices.  Can't really go wrong with those. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I put Adobo in my bacon & cheddar omelette this morning. It was delicious.

veeman

I try to avoid adding salt (sea salt or cheap blue cylinder salt) to anything.  If I start adding it, I feel like I need it.  If I go a few weeks without adding salt to anything, I feel like I don't need it.  It's weird.  Almost all packaged food has way way too much salt in it as it is.