I know I'm crazy but am I off with this?

Started by 12,000 RPM, December 27, 2016, 11:20:10 AM

12,000 RPM

I'd bet it's infotainment related. I'm subscribed. I will investigate tomorrow
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 25, 2017, 09:14:35 PM
I'd bet it's infotainment related. I'm subscribed. I will investigate tomorrow

I question how many of the issues are QC complaints versus actual reliability issues.  Fiesta and Focus had issues with the PowerShift DSG automatic gearbox, and that is likely why they are on the shit list.

I spend a fair bit of time on the Mustang boards and can't say I've noticed any significant trends of poor reliability.  A lot of complaints for cosmetic QC issues, though.  Poor panel alignment (trunk and hood) seems to be the biggest complaint, particularly on 2015s.  Brake squeal (particularly on PP cars) is another big one.  Rattles from the headlight switch (2015s) and clunks from the driveline (irritating but normal for the gearbox used, previous generation was the same).  Also complaints about the leather being easy to stretch or tear.  None of these affect reliability.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Yep, looking at the reliability breakdown I'm seeing mostly green, with the only reds being the transmission (probably stemming from knee jerk reactions to the ZF9, and which improved for 2016) and audio controls. Literally everything else is better or much better than average. CR is being a little clickbaity IMO.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

I like the large SUV class. The Suburban/Yukon XL came in 2nd and the Expedition came in next to last. I mean are there more than 2 vehicles in that class.

Also, 8 out of 14 classes have a footnote on the leading car that it was based on 1 year of data rather than the standard 3. If 3 is the standard shouldn't the majority of vehicles follow the standard. It looks like a good way to be in first place is to have a new model without much data.

giant_mtb

I honestly didn't know they were still making new Expeditions. 

TBR

Well seems that they are really sticking with this stupid new grill:

12,000 RPM

The adoption of LED headlights has pushed us past the event horizon of the full width grill. Next crop of cars will extend the grill to the wheel arches. Fret not though, the cooling aperture will be about 10in2, with the rest reserved for radar

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

giant_mtb

What does Acura sell, like 150,000 cars a year?

CALL_911

Wow that looks terrible.

At least Honda's doing good things- I'm a fan of the new Civic and CRV

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 26, 2017, 02:34:54 PM
The adoption of LED headlights has pushed us past the event horizon of the full width grill. Next crop of cars will extend the grill to the wheel arches. Fret not though, the cooling aperture will be about 10in2, with the rest reserved for radar

I wonder if the one thing Tesla might actually influence other carmakers to do, in the interest of aerodynamics/fuel efficiency, is to minimize the size of the grille.

We've been moving in the complete opposite direction for the last 15 years or so with the grille outlines becoming bigger and bigger, while actually free area goes down and active shutters and other such measures are being added for the sake of making the cars more aerodynamics. A lot of new cars' faces are full of inactive areas and blank-offs! When do we reach a point where someone—other than Tesla—says "Enough's enough!" and creates something akin to the '86 Ford Taurus?

This Acura grille just doesn't suit the car at all; Toyota/Lexus have gone "full retard". We're never going to see low hoodlines like we had in the '80s ever again, too much hubbub about pedestrian safety, but I wonder what the designers might come up with if someone told them: make me something with no grille.

Laconian

The Acura grilles need to be large to accommodate the dinner plate sized Acura badges.

LOOK AT ME

THIRD TIER LUXURY BOYEEEE
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Yeah, I don't think I'd mind the grille so much if it wasn't for the yuge, out of proportion badge in the middle.

Xer0

I don't think the grill works because its very obviously just pasted on this car and nothing else has really changed.  The precision concept that this is taken from looked fantastic, imo, and the updated MDX looks decent.  I expect an Acura designed from the ground up with this language will look pretty decent.

Now, if they can actually make the car more than a fancy Accord is another story.  Acura's model release schedule is so strange that by the time a new product comes out, the next generation Honda product that its based on comes out like a year later and pretty much does the same exact stuff for 5/10k less.  The 10th gen Civic made the ILX pointless and a new Accord is right around the corner.

FoMoJo

They managed to make it 'cheaper' looking than a KIA.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

I mean, that Acura doesn't look particularly good but its not that bad IMHO.

Quote from: 93JC on January 26, 2017, 03:31:55 PM
I wonder if the one thing Tesla might actually influence other carmakers to do, in the interest of aerodynamics/fuel efficiency, is to minimize the size of the grille.

We've been moving in the complete opposite direction for the last 15 years or so with the grille outlines becoming bigger and bigger, while actually free area goes down and active shutters and other such measures are being added for the sake of making the cars more aerodynamics. A lot of new cars' faces are full of inactive areas and blank-offs! When do we reach a point where someone—other than Tesla—says "Enough's enough!" and creates something akin to the '86 Ford Taurus?

This Acura grille just doesn't suit the car at all; Toyota/Lexus have gone "full retard". We're never going to see low hoodlines like we had in the '80s ever again, too much hubbub about pedestrian safety, but I wonder what the designers might come up with if someone told them: make me something with no grille.

Yeah I kind of liked the way the Model 3 looked without a grill.

93JC

The Model S never had an active grille in the first place, they just created an inactive one because they thought it would look weird without something there. Newer Model Ses made in the last year or so don't have one:

Laconian

They could at least paint it piano black or something...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT