What's got two live axles?

Started by Rupert, December 31, 2005, 08:57:54 PM

Rupert

Aside from the mighty Cherokee and Wrangler, what SUVs/trucks in the past 15 years have had live front axles?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BMWDave

The Land Rover Disco has a live front axle.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

93JC

QuoteAside from the mighty Cherokee and Wrangler, what SUVs/trucks in the past 15 years have had live front axles?
:praise:  

Rupert

Thought you'd like that ;) . Gonna answer the question too, oh awesome Cherokee driver? Hehehe
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

93JC

As far as I know all of the 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickup trucks have live axles in front.

The ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokee had live axles.

The old Range Rover had a solid axle up front.

Suburbans do, as far as I know. Probably Tahoes too, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

BMWDave

QuoteThought you'd like that ;) . Gonna answer the question too, oh awesome Cherokee driver? Hehehe
Disco I, Disco II,  previous gen Range Rovers...

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

I believe F350's do and maybe the F250 Superduty's.  I'm sure Ram's and Siverado's do also in the HD varients.

93JC

QuoteThought you'd like that ;) . Gonna answer the question too, oh awesome Cherokee driver? Hehehe
I'm surprised you hadn't jumped on this one:

Land Rover Defender.

BMWDave

I'm surprised you hadn't jumped on this one:

Land Rover Defender.
Well, I wasnt really thinking about it, because #1-I thought it'd be obvious, but mainly because it hasnt really been sold in the US, so I didnt really think to list it here.

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

Did the Trooper and Rodeo? I know the post-'91 Troopers had an IFS, but did the earlier ones?

Rupert

All Troopers are IFS, and I think the Rodeo is too, but I could be wrong.

93JC

Damn, that sucks balls...

Well, I can't really think of anymore of the top of my head...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sparkplug

QuoteI do.
That's a good one.

Very few new vehicles carry two live axles. The Wrangler as mentioned will proudly carry two live axles. I'd like one with a limited slip differential on each axle. The lives are strong but have a rough ride. Ford Explorers have 4 wheel independant suspension and I hear it rides carlike. For a certain sum of money you can convert your independant front suspension to a live axle on certain vehicles.

However, my dad's trailer has two live axles.  :D  

TBR

QuoteI believe F350's do and maybe the F250 Superduty's.  I'm sure Ram's and Siverado's do also in the HD varients.
You would be wrong, even the heavy duty GM fullsizers have an IFS. However, Ford Super Duties and Dodge HDs do have full live suspension set-ups.  

Rupert

From what I've read, Troopers are still pretty good offroad. They don't have a heck of a lot of clearance or LSDs, but they are narrower than the Wrangler (at least mine is). I've seen a pic of a Trooper with a live front axle added later. As well as three feet of ground clearance...

Raza

QuoteI do.
That's a good one.

Very few new vehicles carry two live axles. The Wrangler as mentioned will proudly carry two live axles. I'd like one with a limited slip differential on each axle. The lives are strong but have a rough ride. Ford Explorers have 4 wheel independant suspension and I hear it rides carlike. For a certain sum of money you can convert your independant front suspension to a live axle on certain vehicles.

I never said on my car, did I?

:P  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

What about the early 90s Dakota and S10?

SVT666

QuoteFrom what I've read, Troopers are still pretty good offroad. They don't have a heck of a lot of clearance or LSDs, but they are narrower than the Wrangler (at least mine is). I've seen a pic of a Trooper with a live front axle added later. As well as three feet of ground clearance...
LSD sucks on off-road machines anyway.  Fully locking front and rear diffs are best.  Dodge offers fully locking front and rear diffs on the Power Wagon.  I have yet to drive it off-road but from the magazine reviews I've read, the thing is apparently a beast in the rough stuff.  I only wish they offered it in the 1/2 ton as well.  I don't need the extra payload ability (and extra cost) of the 3/4 ton.  Going to 3/4 ton is a $4000 hit, and then going to the Power Wagon is another $4000 hit.  I could take one, but not both.

cozmik

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

footoflead

QuoteI do.
That's a good one.

the Ford and Chevy trucks both ride like cars, the chevy over certain bumps and speeds  will bounce up and down like its getting ready to dive, it doesnt get lose or feel like your going to lose control but it is very annoying (nothing a shock swap cant fix, and i plan to fix it ;) ) i'm assuming the ford is the same :hammerhead:

our horse trailer has 2 live axles :lol:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

QuoteFrom what I've read, Troopers are still pretty good offroad. They don't have a heck of a lot of clearance or LSDs, but they are narrower than the Wrangler (at least mine is). I've seen a pic of a Trooper with a live front axle added later. As well as three feet of ground clearance...
LSD sucks on off-road machines anyway.  Fully locking front and rear diffs are best.  Dodge offers fully locking front and rear diffs on the Power Wagon.  I have yet to drive it off-road but from the magazine reviews I've read, the thing is apparently a beast in the rough stuff.  I only wish they offered it in the 1/2 ton as well.  I don't need the extra payload ability (and extra cost) of the 3/4 ton.  Going to 3/4 ton is a $4000 hit, and then going to the Power Wagon is another $4000 hit.  I could take one, but not both.
Maybe so, but I'd think LSDs are better than open diffs, and lockers are not so good on a vehicle used as a daily driver too.

I know the 91 S10 I looked at a few months back had IFS.

Run Away

?

How are lockers not as good for daily driving?

When they're not in use, it's exactly like having an open diff.

SVT666

Quote?

How are lockers not as good for daily driving?

When they're not in use, it's exactly like having an open diff.
Exactly.  I don't understand your statement at all.  Locking diffs are onlu locked when you lock them.

Rupert

Yeah, uh... that was me smoking crack...

sparkplug

No, you do not drive with differential locked. It's dangerous and treacherous. Scary ha?
Both wheels will be turning at the same when you go around curves meaning your ride will be hard to control.

Normally with open differntials the inside tire slows down when you're going around a curve or turns at a slow rate than the outside tire.

Lockers are designed give maximum traction in areas where you have a wheel slippage like in huge mud hole on a dirt rode or a boggy bottom.

An ARB locker locks and unlocks with air pressure. They're reek with coolness.

sparkplug

No, you do not drive with differential locked. It's dangerous and treacherous. Scary ha?
Both wheels will be turning at the same when you go around curves meaning your ride will be hard to control.

Normally with open differntials the inside tire slows down when you're going around a curve or turns at a slow rate than the outside tire.

Lockers are designed give maximum traction in areas where you have a wheel slippage like in huge mud hole on a dirt rode or a boggy bottom.

An ARB locker locks and unlocks with air pressure. They're reek with coolness.

Pancor

QuoteI do.
That's a good one.

the Ford and Chevy trucks both ride like cars, the chevy over certain bumps and speeds  will bounce up and down like its getting ready to dive, it doesnt get lose or feel like your going to lose control but it is very annoying (nothing a shock swap cant fix, and i plan to fix it ;) ) i'm assuming the ford is the same :hammerhead:

Neither of your trailers have live-axles.   Live axles are driven, and non-driven examples like those on trailers are called dead axles or beam axles.  

The only vehicles I can think of right now that surely have live axles are Wranglers, and Dodge and Ford Heavy duty trucks.  GM heavy pickups use IFS, I believe.  

TBR

QuoteI do.
That's a good one.

Neither of your trailers have live-axles.   Live axles are driven, and non-driven examples like those on trailers are called dead axles or beam axles.  

The only vehicles I can think of right now that surely have live axles are Wranglers, and Dodge and Ford Heavy duty trucks.  GM heavy pickups use IFS, I believe.
By that definition a 2wd Ford Super Duty would have a beam front axle, not a live one. That doesn't make much sense.  

Pancor

QuoteI do.
That's a good one.

By that definition a 2wd Ford Super Duty would have a beam front axle, not a live one. That doesn't make much sense.
If the 2wd F-250 HD's suspension has both front wheels connected by a steel beam, then that is exactly what it has!