92 Chevy Astro Surging and Stalling

Started by RomanChariot, January 13, 2017, 08:57:16 AM

RomanChariot

I have a question for those with greater knowledge than myself. I have a lady that wants me to look at her high mileage 92 Astro. The car starts up fine and initially runs quite well. However, after idling for a couple of minutes the idled starts to surge up and down. When she put it in gear the van stalls unless she holds the RPMs up with the gas pedal. It also stalls when she stops at a light. It always fires back up without any problem.

She claims that this all started after she ran out of gas one day but that could just be coincidental. I am thinking that there might be a problem with the idle air controller. I don't have much time to spend on looking at her vehicle. Does anybody have any good suggestions?

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 13, 2017, 09:00:28 AM
Fuel pump?

I was thinking the same.  Sucking the tank dry may have also pulled some crap into the filter and plugged it up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Vacuum leak. Spray some shit around the vacuum hoses while it's running to find it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

RomanChariot

Thank you for the feedback. I considered to fuel pump and filter but it would seem that those would affect engine performance even more under load than at idle and she has indicated that there are no problems under load. I have not driven the vehicle yet, just observed it in idle conditions.

I am definitely planning at looking at the IAC.

I really hope it is not a vacuum leak as tracking down hoses in a van engine compartment is a pain but I will spray around and see if anything pops up.