¡Bought a MX5 RF!

Started by Laconian, January 19, 2017, 02:35:40 PM

Laconian

I wouldn't have gotten a ticket if I could've used my cruise control. Ugh!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Drove along some nice roads around my alma mater during a break in the action and got some nice shots of the car. Man, Bellingham is purty. These places are about 5-10 minutes of driving from downtown.

Rich

Where's this top video...  quit enjoying your car and work!! 😂

Great pictures. I might be joining you and Tave in 40,000-60,000 miles
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Xer0

Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raza

Man, you and Tim are making me miss my car hardcore. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Oh yeah, I got the clear bra stuff on my car. I didn't opt for the complete coverage because the price for that treatment is insane, but I got the important bits wrapped. Can you see it in the photos? I can't, but the seam is about 2' up the hood and down the front fenders.

68_427

cant see but stop using google photos they keep randomly disappearing.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

MrH

Can you give us more impressions about the top?  I have no idea if I'd like that more than a soft top or not.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

I really like it. With the windows up, the amount of cabin turbulence is very reasonable, not too much worse than if you opened the sunroof on a coupe. With the windows down, you have the full feeling of wind in your face of the non-RF ND. The only time the rear sheet metal presents issues is when backing up; there's a decently sized blind spot on the passenger side which is mitigated somewhat by the cross traffic warning beep. When you're facing forward (ie. driving) it feels totally like a convertible. Cow smells and all.

Laconian

I tell you hwat boy, it's the durn purdiest car ah've ever had...

RomanChariot

Quote from: Laconian on February 18, 2017, 02:37:55 PM
Oh yeah, I got the clear bra stuff on my car. I didn't opt for the complete coverage because the price for that treatment is insane, but I got the important bits wrapped. Can you see it in the photos? I can't, but the seam is about 2' up the hood and down the front fenders.

I can't really see the clear bra in the photos which is good. You probably won't have any problems in the PNW but here in Utah I see quite a few really nice cars with clear bras that have been baked by the sun. It is a shame to see a light colored car with a clear bra that has turned yellow or even brown.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2017, 11:13:37 AM
I really like it. With the windows up, the amount of cabin turbulence is very reasonable, not too much worse than if you opened the sunroof on a coupe. With the windows down, you have the full feeling of wind in your face of the non-RF ND. The only time the rear sheet metal presents issues is when backing up; there's a decently sized blind spot on the passenger side which is mitigated somewhat by the cross traffic warning beep. When you're facing forward (ie. driving) it feels totally like a convertible. Cow smells and all.

I'm having a hard time buying it feeling the same as a full convertible with the top down :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on February 21, 2017, 12:08:02 PM
I'm having a hard time buying it feeling the same as a full convertible with the top down :lol:

Unless you have weird clustered spider eyes with a 250 degree field of view... you don't see it.

Laconian

Getting precariously close to 600mi! I redlined it a few times going up some uphill zigzags. Woww it's a zingy car. I love the body roll, there's just a tiny bit as a tactile reminder of your limits.

Laconian

Aw look. My car made a brum buddy while I was away. This one's a slutty NC, with some pin stripey tramp stamps on the rear.

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

Always cool to see different generations next to each other.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 22, 2017, 08:48:45 PM
Always cool to see different generations next to each other.

This is a stark reminder of how awkward and ugly the NC was relative to the others.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Damn, the PRHT looks so stupid on the NC.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on February 23, 2017, 05:01:13 AM
This is a stark reminder of how awkward and ugly the NC was relative to the others.

Yeah, the NC was a car which required some forced enthusiasm to like. It was a hell of a lot better than the Skystice, more practical than the Mister Two, and cheaper than the S2000. But my heart was never into them like it was with the NA and the NB. I liked the NB more than the NA at the time, but now popup lights feel cool again in a retro sort of way.

MrH

NC was kind of a strange bird, but I liked it better than the NB.  NB is the worst of all the Miatas IMO.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Why? It was a polishing of the NA, certainly not a regression?

CaminoRacer

NB is my favorite out of the first 3.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2017, 06:05:11 PM
Getting precariously close to 600mi! I redlined it a few times going up some uphill zigzags. Woww it's a zingy car. I love the body roll, there's just a tiny bit as a tactile reminder of your limits.

The ride quality is impressive for such a small, light car with a squared-off wheelbase. The suspension travel prolly has a lot to do with it.

I also like the way it diales-in power during cornering. MrH mentioned excessive inside wheelspin on his NC w/o the diff and I'm just not seeing it on the newer model. You can produce it for a millisecond if you crank the steering and gun it from a stop in first, and you can kick the back completely loose in second on the right corners, but other than that the rear end is remarkably well sorted. Looking back over the reviews I think the "jumpiness" must be a Club-specific issue.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Xer0

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 23, 2017, 04:03:59 PM
NB is my favorite out of the first 3.

Me too, but that's mostly because it was always my first Gran Turismo car. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2017, 03:54:55 PM
Yeah, the NC was a car which required some forced enthusiasm to like. It was a hell of a lot better than the Skystice, more practical than the Mister Two, and cheaper than the S2000. But my heart was never into them like it was with the NA and the NB. I liked the NB more than the NA at the time, but now popup lights feel cool again in a retro sort of way.

It was a great car to drive, and it had all of the perks that the Miata has always had over the competition (fairly usable trunk space, easy to operate top, affordable price etc), but I never warmed to the styling, or the off-roader ride height, or the big gain in size and weight.  NB was also my favorite (well, prior to the ND).  Take all of the goodness of the later NA combined with shapelier, less jellybean-like styling.  Aesthetically, the NA to NB is like comparing a non-widebody 996 911 to a 997.  Worst I can say about the NB is that the interior was a little tighter than the NA, so it's less welcoming to taller drivers, but I'm average height so not a problem for me.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

My friends NBs were heavier stock than my NC. The weight gain wasn't that much. It's just that the PRHT one is stupid heavy when loaded up (~2600 lb).

I still like my NC. A lot of my NA/NB friends are warming up to it as well. I like my bastard MX-5. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Oh I like the NC more than most cars. None of the generations are bad.