Wife's Mercedes

Started by Morris Minor, January 21, 2017, 06:04:42 AM

Morris Minor

So wifey's '08 CLK was built 10 years ago - and it's still like new.  I changed out the headlight bulbs this week and was reminded that everything under the hood is just a little bit nicer: solid, better painted, better screwed-together, better shielded, heavier duty.

I know her car is low-volume, maybe more carefully screwed together than the more mainstream MB models of then & now. But I can see why people buy, or bought, MBs for the long term.

The only problem we've had was the driver-side seatbelt not retracting. It had to be replaced. They told us it was most likely dirt, through normal use, plus accumulated hand lotion which acted as a dirt attractant.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

MB has had some real ups and downs over the last decades. I think there were definitely some periods of planned obsolescence.... biodegradable electrical harnesses and stuff. But they know how to build something solid when they have the resources to do so. Glad it's still holding up.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Good to hear she's holding up well.  :ohyeah:

Back in the day I was able to drive a few C209 CLKs (CLK200 Kompressor, CLK240, CLK320, CLK500 and CLK270 CDI) and they were pretty fun cars. They offered capable handling while also being comfortable. Basically great sporty cruisers / grand tourers.

I do love the first generation CLKs a lot, and I think they have classic car potential along with the R170 SLK of the same period. The first generation (C208) CLKs look especially classy in AMG trim. Damn.  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Our early 2000s Benzes were big pieces of garbage, but I'm glad they seem to have gotten better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 21, 2017, 07:57:37 AM

The Commander of my Unit (last year, I moved offices) has a newer version of that parked in his VIP space. So sexy!!!
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 26, 2017, 07:06:47 PM
The Commander of my Unit (last year, I moved offices) has a newer version of that parked in his VIP space. So sexy!!!

They're elegant and understated!  :praise:

To me most of the car design in the 1990s was rather bland. In fact I think the 1990s were a worse time for car design than the '80s!

From Mercedes I only liked these CLKs and the W210 E-Class from a design POV. Everything else looked bland and uninspired to me.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

One of our neighbors has a first-generation CLK in mediocre condition. My wife said she associates cars like that with gypsy encampments, where old Benzes are apparently quite popular.