Family Iliad thread (Odyssey)

Started by AutobahnSHO, February 07, 2017, 03:22:13 PM

AutobahnSHO

To change the washer pump you have to take off the front bumper cover?!?! Which is held on by 4 bolts and 15 plastic fasteners... Amazing there's nothing behind that bunker cover.!

(Skip to 3:30 to see the blank space)
https://youtu.be/YP02EhppTHk
Will

shp4man

SVT_Power

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2017, 03:34:38 PM
Welcome to my world.

Ugh you're gonna charge me 3 hours of labor to switch just a little pump for the washer fluid? What a ripoff!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

For a short time I used to install the bumper covers on the '94 Eddie Bauer Explorers. Two screws, nine carrots (those pop in plastic pieces)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT_Power

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 07, 2017, 03:39:16 PM
For a short time I used to install the bumper covers on the '94 Eddie Bauer Explorers. Two screws, nine carrots (those pop in plastic pieces)

In my limited experience wrenching on cars and whatever else, I've come to hate pretty much all plastic clips/rivets/screws/etc
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 07, 2017, 03:41:26 PM
In my limited experience wrenching on cars and whatever else, I've come to hate pretty much all plastic clips/rivets/screws/etc

It takes a deft touch not to rip some of them up and still have them work to go back together.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 07, 2017, 03:41:26 PM

As irritating as they are, at least they don't rust.  I had to take the under-tray off my Mazda when trying to look for a potential oil leak (which turned out to not be a leak, someone spilled some oil when filling it) and broke every screw, along with cracking the plastic, because all of the screws were basically welded in place by rust.  I quickly understood why someone had cut a large hole in the tray under the oil filter.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Plastic clips. Breaking. All day, every day. I have a stash of new Honda clips in my tool box. Nobody can know.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Took about an hour for son and I to get it replaced. Saved labor.

We only have 2 extra fasteners. :lol:  -they're in a baggie in the car, I'll look next time we have it on a lift. We were just using the curb at the front of my garage (and a 2x4 for a ramp) to get under the front.
Will

AutobahnSHO

OH BTW even before this the driverside washer is pointed too low. It hits the very bottom of the windshield. Passenger side is fine, sprays right in the middle and covers well.
Tricks to fixing that?
Will

Laconian

So this is like your Trojan War? Has it taken you a decade to replace the pump?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 07, 2017, 05:09:40 PM
OH BTW even before this the driverside washer is pointed too low. It hits the very bottom of the windshield. Passenger side is fine, sprays right in the middle and covers well.
Tricks to fixing that?

Take a push pin, stick it in the hole, and aim it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 07, 2017, 05:09:40 PM
Tricks to fixing that?

Replace jet. Car got a billion miles on it? Replace both jets just because.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 07, 2017, 05:25:40 PM
So this is like your Trojan War? Has it taken you a decade to replace the pump?

:lol:  I was just trying to be funny with the whole Odyssey thing. :huh:

-------- ------------------ ----------------

I AM the only minivan 'Spinner right now, aren't I?...
Will

AutobahnSHO

SIGH UGH ARGH!!!

This morning it's just kind of coming out like a leaking drinking fountain when I tried the sprayer. It was doing that before it stopped working completely.

I ASSUME
-no gunk in the lines. I used a brand new bottle of fluid when we drained the tank to put the new pump in.
-it's not just a nozzle, both sides are doing the same thing.
-power issue? somehow not getting enough voltage??  The shop that I took it to for safety inspection said they got no voltage on the multimeter hooked to ground, which is why they said the pump needed to be replaced.

Will

MX793

Have you ohmed out the wire harness?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Bad ground.

I mean, in all likelihood...

AutobahnSHO

the wires were very scummy (white and orange gunk under the black grime).

I'll have to check them out.. I hate electrical gremlins!!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Last night front washer didn't work, back did.

Today front washer works (still aimed way way too low on driver side) and I can hear rear washer motor working but no spray.

:rage:
Will

MX793

Are the washer fluid lines intact?  Might be a split/cracked line.  The line on my VW was actually cut cleanly in two but the two ends were aligned closely enough that I got a little bit of spray up through the nozzles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

What's the temperature outside? They might just be freezing
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 11, 2017, 10:27:53 PM
What's the temperature outside? They might just be freezing

Been above 20degrees, yesterday mid 30s..

Today front still works; rear makes noise, no flow. :(
Will

Laconian

If this is anything like the old Homeric hymns, you should sacrifice a goat. The gods will smell the smoke of burned bones. If they are satisfied, they will expunge the curse from your washer lines.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 13, 2017, 02:52:19 PM
Been above 20degrees, yesterday mid 30s..

Today front still works; rear makes noise, no flow. :(

Does it make more noise than normal?  Indicative of a dry pump which would imply no fluid reaching the pump.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 13, 2017, 03:06:56 PM
Does it make more noise than normal?  Indicative of a dry pump which would imply no fluid reaching the pump.

Can't tell, I'll have to go pull it all apart again. Sigh.
Will

shp4man

One of my customers with an old Windstar paid $600 just to get the rear washer working. The pump is in the front, and the washer line (was plugged) runs above the headliner,  which is a real pain in the ass to lower. But, I fixed it- they got the money, I got the time.