Non-OEM winshield replacements---recommendations/experiences

Started by JWC, February 18, 2017, 11:14:44 AM

JWC

I had the Volvo windshield replaced by Interstate Glass several years ago---and wasn't really happy. Daytime driving was not an issue. At night though, street lamps and oncoming traffic twinkled like little stars. It was very distracting and annoying. I'm very particular about clean glass and unobstructed viewing. So much so, I carry Windex and old newspapers in the back of the car and will pull off the road to clean a windshield.

This week I returned to work. Driving home Wednesday afternoon, during a rain storm, I heard something hit the windshield of the Honda. Yesterday morning, I noticed a six to seven inch crack at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side. I drove by Safelite and was told it couldn't be repaired and the glass would have to be replaced.

I don't like the idea of losing the OEM glass---I especially don't like the idea of workers taking apart a major part of a car with just over 5,000 miles on it.

The manager at Safelite assured me Safelite glass, and Honda glass are made in the same factory. But having been involved with auto parts and body shops for over thirty years, I know that the plant may be the same, but a materials are changed for product runs depending on specs supplied by the selling company.

A search at the Honda forums found comments about S2000 windshields pitting easily---and I've noticed that the Crosstour windshield is pitting---very apparent in the late afternoon driving into a setting sun. This crack is behind the right wiper blade and somewhat hidden. I unfortunately know it is there, so my eyes go right to it. The is shaped like a question mark and I think if it continues it will just curl downward and not across the glass. That would make it a downward u-shape and keep it more or less hidden.

Any thoughts about windshield replacements? I'm thinking about calling the insurance company (USAA) and report it, but relay to them I don't want to replace it at this time.

giant_mtb

Why would you call your insurance company but not replace it?

"Hey guys, my windshield cracked."
Alright, sir, we'll get that fixed for you!
"Nah, I just thought you should know. Bye!" :confused:

A4 had its windshield replaced once by Safelite.  Turned out just fine, glass was of OE quality.  Only issue was that it was the dead heat of summer so the rear view mirror fell off and they had to re-glue it. 

JWC

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 18, 2017, 11:29:21 AM
Why would you call your insurance company but not replace it?

"Hey guys, my windshield cracked."
Alright, sir, we'll get that fixed for you!
"Nah, I just thought you should know. Bye!" :confused:

A4 had its windshield replaced once by Safelite.  Turned out just fine, glass was of OE quality.  Only issue was that it was the dead heat of summer so the rear view mirror fell off and they had to re-glue it. 

I want to know options. I believe I have free replacement without deductible on this policy. And with USAA, I always report incidents like this just in case. It is how I found out I have a $2500 ambulance/ER coverage on my car insurance in case of an accident. USAA sometimes has options that I either don't know about or have forgotten.

AutobahnSHO

I wouldn't call insurance. If you want to replace it later, call them then.

I drove for at least 9months on a really cracked windshield in Odyssey- started as a rock chip in SC but last January here in NY blowing the defrost on it then freezing and over again, developed a nasty crack that started spreading every couple days.

Safelite replaced it months ago, I noticed the other day they didn't put the rubber trim back in perfectly, but whatever, no water is leaking anywhere.
We paid cash instead of involving insurance. I don't think insurance covers the low amount it was.

--Impreza has a couple of rock chips I repaired myself in 2014. Haven't spread and they're on the passenger side so we're not worrying about them.
Will

CaminoRacer

My dad had a terrible time getting a good replacement on our BMW. Went through a few of them since the replacements all had distortions. I think the final one still had a distortion but it was down low and not in the normal line of vision. I've been wary of non-OEM replacements ever since.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

For better or worse, there's a ton of regulation on auto glass. For any sort of modern mainstream car one can be reasonably assured one aftermarket windshield has the same specs as the next.

Clarity problems come from pitting and micro scratches (doubly so when they fill in with road gunk). Cleaning won't fix this, only polishing will (remove/lessen blemishes). This is what I use:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HVEE7M/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=

I started becoming ultra sensitive to clear windshields at about age 30. Took me a long time to get it right (polish, use good wiper fluid, replace every ~3 years).

VTEC_Inside

Have you inquired at a dealer about getting a "factory" window? Perhaps the pricing isn't too different.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

JWC

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 18, 2017, 12:36:35 PM
Have you inquired at a dealer about getting a "factory" window? Perhaps the pricing isn't too different.

When I worked at dealerships, windshields typically ran several hundred more than independents. Dealerships used aftermarket on used cars to save money---and we bought them at cost and only marked them up ten percent to the used car department.

MX793

I recall my mom having to get a replacement windshield for her Mazda6 many years ago.  I remember the replacement having noticeable distortion, particularly at the edges.  I think she may have gotten the first replacement replaced with a different one due to the amount of optical distortion.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

I know a guy who got one replaced and the wipers didn't wipe cleanly afterwards. He contested, they said it was the wipers, he bought new ones, they replaced the windshield again.
Will

CJ

Eye of the Tiger

Versa S actually needs a new windshield, too. It has a crack halfway across already. :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

I'd buy OEM glass and provide it to a glass company, but if it still works as it once did, they wouldn't be responsible for breaking the glass if installing it. I found this policy is (or was) common when I needed a windshield gasket replaced on a VW. I taught myself how to replace VW window gaskets and never broke a single glass. I suspect if I had allowed anyone else to do it, I'd be buying one of their windshields to replace one their workers broke.

MX793

Quote from: JWC on February 18, 2017, 08:00:43 PM
I'd buy OEM glass and provide it to a glass company, but if it still works as it once did, they wouldn't be responsible for breaking the glass if installing it. I found this policy is (or was) common when I needed a windshield gasket replaced on a VW. I taught myself how to replace VW window gaskets and never broke a single glass. I suspect if I had allowed anyone else to do it, I'd be buying one of their windshields to replace one their workers broke.

I think windshield replacement is actually easier than it used to be and the likelihood of breaking the glass during an install is much lower as a result.  Lots of cars, maybe most/all, don't even use gaskets around the windshields anymore.  Neither of my Mustangs had/have one, nor does my 11 year old Jetta.  The glass just sets into a lip/pocket and is bonded there.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rich on February 19, 2017, 12:16:12 AM
www.jalopnik.com/heres-what-those-little-dots-are-on-the-edges-of-your-c-1791075995

Relevant to this didcussion

Never cared, but now I know. Frit.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

Quote from: MX793 on February 18, 2017, 08:37:46 PM
I think windshield replacement is actually easier than it used to be and the likelihood of breaking the glass during an install is much lower as a result.  Lots of cars, maybe most/all, don't even use gaskets around the windshields anymore.  Neither of my Mustangs had/have one, nor does my 11 year old Jetta.  The glass just sets into a lip/pocket and is bonded there.

My experiences with window gaskets was from owning seventies VWs. When I managed a body shop, I participated in windshield replacement. Basically it was remove trim, cut adhesive with wire saw, clean up mess, and install.

The fritting around the glass was something mentioned on the Honda forums as being different, and apparently not as "nice", as the OEM glass.

veeman

I've had my front windshield replaced on a few cars in the past because of cracks.  I'm pretty sure insurance cost is not raised because of it so I would definitely have my insurance pay for it.  The insurance company said they wouldn't pay for OEM and instead referred me to mobile replacement companies.  I called the company and gave them the make, model, and year of my car and they scheduled when they would replace it.  A guy came out in a van and replaced it once in my driveway and one time in a parking garage when I used to live in an apartment.  They gave me the same story that the glass is the same as used by OEM.  Probably not but I couldn't tell the difference.  One time there was a small half inch in length scratch on the top of my dashboard but I didn't make an issue about it.

r0tor

When my Jeep's windshield cracked, I found out who made the glass (PPG) and had a shop order it from them as it was about 75% cheaper then from Jeep...

My insurance company refused to pay for it as they required Safelite ( I didn't have good experience with them)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JWC

Quote from: r0tor on February 23, 2017, 11:17:13 AM
When my Jeep's windshield cracked, I found out who made the glass (PPG) and had a shop order it from them as it was about 75% cheaper then from Jeep...

My insurance company refused to pay for it as they required Safelite ( I didn't have good experience with them)

Mmmmm.....I do have friends at a local body shop.

It was around 38F this morning on the way to work (3:30am); driving with front defrost. Half way to work I hear a pop. Now there is a separate crack along the bottom of the windshield, separate from the original, runs right above the wiper blades. 

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 18, 2017, 07:47:21 PM
Versa S actually needs a new windshield, too. It has a crack halfway across already. :mask:

Too much torque twist
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

I'm likely to leave the crack I have in the bottom of my windshield. It's not in the way, an with all the gravel on the roads around here, I'll probably end up with more cracks soon enough anyway.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA