Where to find out exactly what cars are in a rental company's fleet????

Started by 12,000 RPM, February 21, 2017, 07:53:52 AM

12,000 RPM

Wifey is in Nashville for work so we are gonna make it a little weekend getaway.... I want to try a new Maxima or Charger (not for the next ride, just out of pure curiosity) but I can't find out exactly which companies have them in their fleets, or more importantly if they will be available at the specific rental locations I'm going to

The websites seem to all say "XXX or similar" which is bullshit.... any idea where I can actually find out what they have? Should I just call them?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rich

They just rent whatever is on their lot at the time...  I'm sure it varies by rental agency, but I've never seen any way to get a specific car... always a roll of the dice.   

Europe OTOH, has Sixt, and I can view availability/select model within their app
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Yeah, short of one of those exotic/specialty rental programs where you can get a Porsche or Corvette, I've never seen where you can be guaranteed anything other than a basic type and size class (small car, minivan, convertible, etc...).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

RomanChariot

Several years back I was in need of a rental vehicle to carry 8 passengers and a lot of luggage. A Suburban would work but they wouldn't guarantee 8 seats. I could get a 15 passenger van but there is very little storage behind the back seat. I finally rented a 12 passenger van to avoid the extra seat. When I showed up to pick up the van they gave me the keys to a 15 passenger van. I told them I ordered a 12 passenger van and they told me that was a 12 passenger van (as if I couldn't count the seats). They wouldn't even pull the back seat out so I did it myself and left it at a relatives house.

When renting a car in the US you have no guarantee other than the "or similar" listing on the rental company's website.

Rich

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 21, 2017, 08:31:51 AM
Several years back I was in need of a rental vehicle to carry 8 passengers and a lot of luggage. A Suburban would work but they wouldn't guarantee 8 seats. I could get a 15 passenger van but there is very little storage behind the back seat. I finally rented a 12 passenger van to avoid the extra seat. When I showed up to pick up the van they gave me the keys to a 15 passenger van. I told them I ordered a 12 passenger van and they told me that was a 12 passenger van (as if I couldn't count the seats). They wouldn't even pull the back seat out so I did it myself and left it at a relatives house.

When renting a car in the US you have no guarantee other than the "or similar" listing on the rental company's website.

I would have left the seat in the rental agency.

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2017, 08:10:29 AM
Yeah, short of one of those exotic/specialty rental programs where you can get a Porsche or Corvette, I've never seen where you can be guaranteed anything other than a basic type and size class (small car, minivan, convertible, etc...).

You're not even guaranteed that, either -- they can always give you something bigger as a free upgrade, whether it suits your needs or not.

To find out what specific cars an agency has in stock, the only way is to call that branch and ask. You can try requesting that they hold a particular model for you, but don't count on it. Maybe just book the cheapest vehicle that you'd be conceivably satisfied with, see what's there when you arrive, and then buy an upgrade on the spot if something suits you. You may even get upgraded for free anyway if they're out of the Chevy Sparks you booked.

veeman

Usually, at airports, most of the larger agencies will have V6 pony cars and a Challenger will often be in stock.  That's probably a similar drive to a Charger. 

RomanChariot

Quote from: Rich on February 21, 2017, 08:35:52 AM
I would have left the seat in the rental agency.

They wouldn't let me. I asked. I was dumbfounded when after I inspected the van the person behind the counter had the nerve to tell me that it was a 12 passenger van. I don't know why they even bothered to list 12 and 15 passengers vans on their website if they don't even carry 12 passenger vans.

Rich

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 21, 2017, 11:28:37 AM
They wouldn't let me.

Let you?  Pfffttt, what are they going to call the cops because you left part of their own equipment in their office? :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2017, 07:53:52 AM
Wifey is in Nashville for work so we are gonna make it a little weekend getaway.... I want to try a new Maxima or Charger (not for the next ride, just out of pure curiosity) but I can't find out exactly which companies have them in their fleets, or more importantly if they will be available at the specific rental locations I'm going to

The websites seem to all say "XXX or similar" which is bullshit.... any idea where I can actually find out what they have? Should I just call them?

IME the "fun cars" usually have a limited selection so you should just call and see what the odds of being bumped are. If you're expecting a Miata but there's a nonzero chance of getting a Sebring... fuckk that! On the other hand, if it's Camaro/Mustang, then the substitution is acceptable.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 21, 2017, 11:28:37 AM
They wouldn't let me. I asked. I was dumbfounded when after I inspected the van the person behind the counter had the nerve to tell me that it was a 12 passenger van. I don't know why they even bothered to list 12 and 15 passengers vans on their website if they don't even carry 12 passenger vans.

A 15 passenger van can accommodate 12 passengers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

RomanChariot

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2017, 11:48:52 AM
A 15 passenger van can accommodate 12 passengers.

I think that is their logic :banghead: Seems like a good enough reason to list 2 configurations of vans when they only ever carry one.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

LOL Reserved a regular-sized car one time, ended up with a minivan.
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: veeman on February 21, 2017, 10:42:15 AM
Usually, at airports, most of the larger agencies will have V6 pony cars and a Challenger will often be in stock.  That's probably a similar drive to a Charger. 
Yup! You're out of luck at the smaller locations unless you reserve a Minivan/SUV/Pick up........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 21, 2017, 11:52:05 AM

I think that is their logic :banghead: Seems like a good enough reason to list 2 configurations of vans when they only ever carry one.

Price discrimination.  They probably charge more for the 15 passenger van and people who need the seats will pay extra.

Lebowski

As to the OP, this has always been a minor annoyance to me as well, why can't they tell you what the car is gonna be?  I'd even think there would be advantages to running a fleet with fewer models (i.e. one or two models in each category)

SJ_GTI

FWIW you can also ask for specific cars once you get there. I booked a mid-size luxury class hoping for a new CTS a few years ago. When I got there they wanted to give me an impala (not a bad car BTW, just not what I wanted). I told them I would prefer a Cadillac CTS if they had one...so the desk person told me if I was willing to give them a few minutes that would check around the garage/deck (this was at the car rental facility in Dallas if you are familiar with the place). Eventually they found an ATS and a Lincoln (MKS IIRC), I told them I'd go with the ATS.

I wasn't rude or anything BTW, just polite but insistent.  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Oh yea, I request specific cars pretty much every time I rent a car. But it would be good to know which cars are available at a location beforehand. "Or similar" is nowhere near good enough.......

We will see what they have though. Maybe they will have a Golf :wub:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Last time I rented a car, when I got there, I was given a choice between cars in that class.  As I recall, it was a Mazda3 or a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. 

EDIT:  Actually, that wasn't the last time I used a rented car, just the last time I was in charge of it.  My friend tried to fit four adults and four suitcases in a "midsize", which is a real life compact, and we ended up having to "upgrade" at the site to a Buick Enclave (which is a punishment).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Lebowski on February 22, 2017, 08:09:13 AM
As to the OP, this has always been a minor annoyance to me as well, why can't they tell you what the car is gonna be?  I'd even think there would be advantages to running a fleet with fewer models (i.e. one or two models in each category)

Unless that one model you have turns out to be hated by everyone or gets recalled.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 22, 2017, 08:12:16 AM
FWIW you can also ask for specific cars once you get there. I booked a mid-size luxury class hoping for a new CTS a few years ago. When I got there they wanted to give me an impala (not a bad car BTW, just not what I wanted). I told them I would prefer a Cadillac CTS if they had one...so the desk person told me if I was willing to give them a few minutes that would check around the garage/deck (this was at the car rental facility in Dallas if you are familiar with the place). Eventually they found an ATS and a Lincoln (MKS IIRC), I told them I'd go with the ATS.

I wasn't rude or anything BTW, just polite but insistent.  :lol:

I find it hilarious and sad that with all the computer junk they have, they didn't know that.
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 24, 2017, 01:13:15 PM
I find it hilarious and sad that with all the computer junk they have, they didn't know that.

I'm sure they knew what vehicles were on the premises, but just because it's there doesn't mean it's available for rent.  Vehicles may be in their garage getting serviced or repaired and aren't checked into the "available to rent" pool yet.
Needs more Jiggawatts