This dude danced on the line between genius and insanity and won big

Started by 12,000 RPM, February 21, 2017, 07:57:51 PM

12,000 RPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLqt59CKFI

I think this might have been the guy with that old 300 SDL manual. His mechanic is a real one
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Yeah, this is the same guy who swaped out the 4-speed A/T in the 300SDL Turbodiesel for a manual. His videos are entertaining. Check out his Honda/Acura NSX vs Porsche 911 video; the ending is gold!

He also has a funny video about how the 240D W123 is the ideal car for the Walkind Dead zombie apocalypse, mainly because the survivors can create their own diesel fuel while gasoline "expires" (?) after a few months/years. Makes sense!  :praise:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHD35pYJNXk
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Won big? More like poor bastard. $14k invested whereas the KBB value for "very good" is only $10k...

Laconian

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This guy's great! Wow, ballsy move. I wonder how a W12 Phaeton would've turned out. Probably a flaming pile of money.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2017, 08:09:50 PM
Won big? More like poor bastard. $14k invested whereas the KBB value for "very good" is only $10k...

Yeah, consider what he got for sub-Fiesta money, though.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

GoCougs

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Oh come on. He spent $4500, and put in a fuckload of money into a car that he won't be able to get out of.

This isn't winning big.

I see Mercedes and other cars like this on CL for a song. It's always a hard pass.

MrH

Yeah, screw that.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/if-were-doing-this-heres-everything-wrong-with-my-1-1784448154

A guy on oppositelock bought something similar. Last year he was at $6000 on maintenance.  Since making that post, he had another $3300 repair this month, and he's fearing he needs a full ABC rebuild, which is like $10k.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2017, 08:12:06 PM
Yeah, consider what he got for sub-Fiesta money, though.

True, but my point was, the market says he could have picked up the identical car, sans risk, for ~$4k cheaper.

MrH

:lol:

Guy on OppositeLock had enough.  Trading it in on a Lexus LS.  His reason? "Absurd maintenance costs and chronic unreliability."  Sounds about right.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/so-its-come-to-this-1792821239
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Is there any V12 car that is cheap to own and maintain?

NO.

I don't get some of these guys who buy a [new/used] flagship V12 luxury car and then expect to pay nothing for maintenance and parts costs. Maybe that is why some of these cars have a poor reputation since some owners cheapen out on basic maintenance and when the problems start piling up it's of course the fault of the vehicle.

The high cost of ownership of such vehicles already starts with the fuel consumption...

Every classic car magazine here will tell you that if you're buying an older V12 BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin etc. you need to make sure to have at least 15,000+ Euros extra in the bank account for maintenance.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

It's just bad design.  These things depreciate like no other car because maintenance and repairs are so expensive.  It's tempting because they're kind of cool, but I'll never play in this market.

And it's not just because V12s are inherently awful.  I bet if Toyota made a V12 it'd be fine :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on February 28, 2017, 11:17:52 AM
It's just bad design.  These things depreciate like no other car because maintenance and repairs are so expensive.  It's tempting because they're kind of cool, but I'll never play in this market.

Yeah, certain components are badly designed and this is why they may go wrong. You'd think that once the design flaw has been corrected (which should happen) this would improve the durability and reliability of the specific components. Mercedes still supplies original spare parts for [pretty much] every vehicle they've ever made, and these improved spare parts should be getting implanted in the car if he takes it to a Mercedes-Benz dealership.

Still, any V12-powered vehicle is going to have relatively high maintenance costs, which should limit their appeal to most prospective buyers looking for some initially "cheap" performance. I mean you see that kind of attitude all over the Internet where "car enthusiasts" want some expensive high performance machine but bitch about maintenance costs...

Quote from: MrH on February 28, 2017, 11:17:52 AMAnd it's not just because V12s are inherently awful.  I bet if Toyota made a V12 it'd be fine :lol:

To my knowledge the M137 E58 V12 motor in the 1999-2002 '600 models are generally mechanically reliable and durable. This engine was replaced by the M275 V12, which on the Benz World forums is praised as being even more reliable and easier to work on, despite being twin-turbocharged!

A variant of the M275 V12, the M285, was used specifically in the Maybach 57 and 62 cars and there is a man in Luxembourg who has put over a million kilometers on that motor with just basic maintenance.

And there is no data about the reliability of the Toyota Century V12 engine. It would also be a somewhat unfair comparison since these cars are essentially used by Japanese royalty and diplomats, which means a bored chauffeur / maintenance crew will probably maintain the hell out of it at every opportunity. Get what I am saying? I don't doubt it's reliable but not everything Toyota produces is going to automatically be super duper reliable.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

There's a big difference between scheduled maintenance and unexpected repairs.... you seem to confuse the two Wimmer.

Pop quiz: Maintenance or repair?

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/thanks-for-fucking-me-s600-1792297820

Not to mention there are other components besides the engine. I would say the V12 is probably bulletproof.... it's everything else in these car that goes horribly horribly wrong.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 28, 2017, 03:54:06 PM
There's a big difference between scheduled maintenance and unexpected repairs.... you seem to confuse the two Wimmer.

No, I understand that. A W220 S600 is a complex car (which high-end luxury car isn't?) and if something needs to be replaced or fixed it is going to be expensive. To my knowledge the biggest weakspots on the W220 are electronics and on some models the complex ABC (Active Body Control) suspensions.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

LOL When replacing a key which quite working costs $800, you know some silliness is afoot.

(that was in 2005 btw) 
Will