Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

veeman

Quote from: Galaxy on July 10, 2017, 10:44:51 AM
The Model3 has much less autonomous functionality as standard compred to the X, and S.

I'm not so hip to the autonomous driving part, yet... I tried it at my cousin's in his Model S and it freaked me out.  I didn't like it at all.  I often drive 6 to 8 hours at a stretch on long distance trips and usually over 2 hours a day commuting back and forth to work and I don't get tired or irritated.  With a good audiobook I'm good to go. 

Char

Quote from: veeman on July 10, 2017, 12:04:56 AM
Recent photos of the model 3 including interior:

http://imgur.com/a/zhvq8

Car looks fantastic.  I think I'll put down a deposit later this week for one.  My Camry lease will be over in 3 years and a model 3 would be a great replacement.  Car should be ready in 3 years too.

It will do nothing better than your Camry, because it's an ugly useless piece of shit.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2017, 01:12:24 PM
It will do nothing better than your Camry, because it's an ugly useless piece of shit.

what?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2017, 01:12:24 PM

RWD? Ridiculous acceleration? Low center of gravity?

I would like to drive one to find out, but it seems like it could be quite a bit more fun to drive than a Camry.

Laconian

LOL, the unhinged animosity toward car manufacturers is ridiculous. Learn to control your rage.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

I don't really like how it looks, but if it's a sweet car for $35k, that's fine with me.

Also, fuck Tesla. ;)

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on July 10, 2017, 10:44:51 AM
The Model3 has much less autonomous functionality as standard compred to the X, and S.

Maybe as standard, but Musk has all but said it will be completely autonomous in the near future
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Char

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 10, 2017, 01:23:45 PM
RWD? Ridiculous acceleration? Low center of gravity?

I would like to drive one to find out, but it seems like it could be quite a bit more fun to drive than a Camry.

Ridiculous acceleration? 0-60 in the 5s is quick, but I doubt it's better than the 300hp Camry. It's ugly, the interior looks like shit, the range is terrible (215mi? Likely less so in the real word) over 4000lbs (lol low center of gravity when your car weights as much as an SUV. We going to talk about the FORESTER with the Flat 6 the same way?)

It's barely a real car, it can't be driven reasonably hard, has inferior range, quality, reliability and is the pinnacle of presumptions douchebaggery. I'm not an asshole for pointing out that it's a cheap plastic power wheel with a heavy markup not ready for prime time. People are so fixated on having the newest 'thing' they can barely recognize their ass from their face.

Then again, this is the same board that deep threats mom mobiles with undefeatable nanny controls and dare call themselves enthusiasts.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

you need to smoke a blunt and chill, bro

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on July 10, 2017, 02:38:31 PM

I literally don't get the hype around this car. Batteries are literally shit energy storage for cars. I can't wait for this fad to die out and people shut the fuck up about it.

r0tor

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2017, 02:37:48 PM
Ridiculous acceleration? 0-60 in the 5s is quick, but I doubt it's better than the 300hp Camry. It's ugly, the interior looks like shit, the range is terrible (215mi? Likely less so in the real word) over 4000lbs (lol low center of gravity when your car weights as much as an SUV. We going to talk about the FORESTER with the Flat 6 the same way?)

It's barely a real car, it can't be driven reasonably hard, has inferior range, quality, reliability and is the pinnacle of presumptions douchebaggery. I'm not an asshole for pointing out that it's a cheap plastic power wheel with a heavy markup not ready for prime time. People are so fixated on having the newest 'thing' they can barely recognize their ass from their face.

Then again, this is the same board that deep threats mom mobiles with undefeatable nanny controls and dare call themselves enthusiasts.

... They have only made the base model yet...

Also, what percentage of days do you travel more then 200 miles in a day?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2017, 02:39:52 PM
I literally don't get the hype around this car. Batteries are literally shit energy storage for cars. I can't wait for this fad to die out and people shut the fuck up about it.

Quote from: 2o6 on July 10, 2017, 02:38:31 PM

Char

Quote from: r0tor on July 10, 2017, 02:40:48 PM
... They have only made the base model yet...

Also, what percentage of days do you travel more then 200 miles in a day?

My normal commute to work is about 100mi - combine that with earrands or anything else, I can easily do about 150 or so miles in a day. That 215 is likely to be less with the AC on full blast and the summer heat of Florida giving the cooling system a work out.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2017, 02:52:06 PM
My normal commute to work is about 100mi - combine that with earrands or anything else, I can easily do about 150 or so miles in a day. That 215 is likely to be less with the AC on full blast and the summer heat of Florida giving the cooling system a work out.

So probably 95+% of your days as a way above average commuter , a base model car would work... Doesn't exactly sound like "shit for energy storage"

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2017, 02:54:27 PM
100 miles, are you kidding?!

I used to drive over 100 miles a day to and from work.   :huh:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2017, 02:54:27 PM
100 miles, are you kidding?!

I spent about 2 years commuting 55 miles each way (110 per day).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Char

Quote from: r0tor on July 10, 2017, 02:56:06 PM
So probably 95+% of your days as a way above average commuter , a base model car would work... Doesn't exactly sound like "shit for energy storage"

Thing is, ANY car in existence today could do it. I wish I had a Fit to drive and put miles on, take con dates. Leave the E92 for when I want to have fun. But it's not practical to have 2 cars... which is why a Model 3makes even less sense.

93JC

I just used googlemaps to help visualize how far 55 miles is from where I work; mother of God.... That's nuts, couldn't imagine doing that unless driving was my job.

Char

Quote from: 93JC on July 10, 2017, 03:46:35 PM
I just used googlemaps to help visualize how far 55 miles is from where I work; mother of God.... That's nuts, couldn't imagine doing that unless driving was my job.

It's about 45mi one way,, 80% highway. Not horrible, I can listen to a lot of NPR in 45 mins.

r0tor

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2017, 03:41:44 PM
Thing is, ANY car in existence today could do it. I wish I had a Fit to drive and put miles on, take con dates. Leave the E92 for when I want to have fun. But it's not practical to have 2 cars... which is why a Model 3makes even less sense.

It's totally practical to have two cars... Also, you could catch up on your sleep or watch movies while going to work in the Tesla

Char

Quote from: r0tor on July 10, 2017, 04:07:36 PM
It's totally practical to have two cars... Also, you could catch up on your sleep or watch movies while going to work in the Tesla

I wish, but I live in a townhouse with no garage. It makes no sense for me to have a 200 mile commuter car (model 3) and a normal car when the normal car does everything better.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on July 10, 2017, 03:19:13 PM
I spent about 2 years commuting 55 miles each way (110 per day).

56 miles for me!  I WIN LONGEST COMMUTE!!!!!

I was so miserable.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 10, 2017, 04:07:36 PM
It's totally practical to have two cars...
Not really. Only makes objective sense if the use cases for your two cars are entirely different- i.e. you have a long commute, AND you tow shit regularly.

I imagine most people's car situation being similar to my wife and mine... 2 car garage, 2 commuters, not much weird use. We keep our cars in the garage in the winter time... a 3rd car would just make shit complicated, especially considering we can't park on the street here.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

I have no issues with keeping a SUVs, wife's car, and my fun car - shrug-

veeman

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2017, 04:14:45 PM
I wish, but I live in a townhouse with no garage. It makes no sense for me to have a 200 mile commuter car (model 3) and a normal car when the normal car does everything better.

I don't think the car is very practical as the only car a person has.  Should have a house with a covered garage and at least two cars.  I don't know the future of this technology but it seems promising especially with recent regulations being imposed by Western Europe and China.  I doubt the investment/infrastructure will be there for a nationwide build of charging stations in the next several decades and I'm not sure the U.S. national grid can accommodate millions and millions of electric cars being charged daily overnight (I kinda doubt it).  It is pretty cool to drive though having driven my cousin's model S.  I think most Tesla model S owners are very satisfied with the drivability of their cars and the safety record of it in crash tests is exemplary.  From the outside it looks great IMHO.  Very sleek.  Inside is pretty good too.  Talk about an uncluttered dash.  It's a simple strip of wood. 

GoCougs

Quote from: veeman on July 11, 2017, 09:22:31 AM
I don't think the car is very practical as the only car a person has.  Should have a house with a covered garage and at least two cars.  I don't know the future of this technology but it seems promising especially with recent regulations being imposed by Western Europe and China.  I doubt the investment/infrastructure will be there for a nationwide build of charging stations in the next several decades and I'm not sure the U.S. national grid can accommodate millions and millions of electric cars being charged daily overnight (I kinda doubt it).  It is pretty cool to drive though having driven my cousin's model S.  I think most Tesla model S owners are very satisfied with the drivability of their cars and the safety record of it in crash tests is exemplary.  From the outside it looks great IMHO.  Very sleek.  Inside is pretty good too.  Talk about an uncluttered dash.  It's a simple strip of wood. 

Tesla Model S finished at the bottom of IIHS crash safety ratings for the new batch of tests for large cars (but still got an "acceptable" but still last).

Tesla's official whining about it IMO tells us all we need to know about what buoys the company...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 11, 2017, 07:27:11 AM
I have no issues with keeping a SUVs, wife's car, and my fun car - shrug-
Are you everybody?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Char